Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my abs and esc lights are on constantly. tried to read error codes with 2 obd2 code readers and no fault codes appeared. could not get then to appear in the dash when i cycled the ignition key on and off 3 times. took it to dealer and they tell me that only they can read abs codes. and to read them costs $90. my jeep is 2012 wrangler sport. has anyone here been able to read fault codes associated with abs and esc? and does their dealer tell them the same thing? reply appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
When my lights came on, it was after wheeling. Found a broken wire going to the abs sensor. The dealer is correct either them or a competent shop has the reader. U have a sensor bad or broken wire, or mud in the sensor part. Have u been off road recently?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. no, have never even been off road. only time it was in 4-wheel drive was last winter. just don't know why you can't read your own fault codes. after all, it is your vehicle. really just wondering if this is every dealers practice or just mine. do you know if this is the way your dealer would deal with it if your jeep and it was out of warranty? if this is normal i guess i will just have to go with it. just hate paying $90 for a thirty second scan. also, is this the way every dealer does this these days? thanks!!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Most places charge for the scanning of codes. Usually they will waive the fee if u get the work done by them.

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
just hate paying $90 for a thirty second scan. also, is this the way every dealer does this these days? thanks!!
Your dealer is a bargain compared to mine. Ours charges $139 to read the codes. If the code reveals a problem with a part that is covered under warranty then they waive the fee. Otherwise, we have to pay it.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Your dealer is a bargain compared to mine. Ours charges $139 to read the codes. If the code reveals a problem with a part that is covered under warranty then they waive the fee. Otherwise, we have to pay it.
I'd find another place..... $139 to hook up a scanner for 15 minutes of work is outrageous. Especially if u get the work done by them. Maybe that's why I had such a repeat business....diagnosis was free if I didn't the work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for replying. am going to friends house tonight and her son is going to scan my jeep. he has a scanner that reads abs codes. hope it works out that i will read the abs codes on my jeep. dealer mechanic told me that they could not be read by anyone but them. will let you all know how it works out. thank you!!

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
My $20 bluetooth OBDII reader reads ABS codes just fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just had my jeep checked with another odb2 scanner which had worked well for the guy who owned it. once again,no fault codes could be read. makes me wonder if the dealership is changing the programming to only allow them to access fault codes on vehicles that they sell. after all, they did tell me that the codes could be accessed. has anyone on this site ever read abs codes on their jeep wrangler????? let me know please. thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i bought a elm327 bluetooth scanner and could access the rpm and other gauges on my jeep. but could not detect any fault codes. abs and esc lights were on at the time.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
just had my jeep checked with another odb2 scanner which had worked well for the guy who owned it. once again,no fault codes could be read. makes me wonder if the dealership is changing the programming to only allow them to access fault codes on vehicles that they sell. after all, they did tell me that the codes could be accessed. has anyone on this site ever read abs codes on their jeep wrangler????? let me know please. thank you
No, there is no way they are hacking your jeep to make it impossible for you to read some of the codes.

I use a $20 bluetooth adapter off of amazon and the $5 Torque Pro android app. It does everything the high dollar readers do and more. My axles are not stock and I fabricated half of my ABS system. For a while, ABS codes were a daily occurrence.

After rereading your post, I see you have a bluetooth scanner. What app are you using?

I found a few threads about this topic, no codes but a lit up dash. They all ended up being a wheel speed sensor. Very simple to change out and the parts are less than $30 each. If you cant get anywhere with codes, might be worth it to buy a rear and see if you get lucky, then buy a front and try the same. The majority of ABS component failures involve the wheel speed sensors.

Another thing to consider is that the failure may be intermittent. Our computers store "historical" codes as well, and torque pro has always pulled them up for me.

Assuming it's an auto, the fact that you are still able to drive the jeep indicates that you only have 1 sensor failing. 3 out of 4 working sensors will still drive, 2 out of 4 working sensors and you will be stuck in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i used the torque(lite) app and elm327 app. downloaded dash command but could not connect to it. these apps showed no fault codes either. i could read rpm correctly to verify that i was connected to my jeep. guess i will just have to take it to dealer and pay a fortune to get repairs that i cannot verify. would have thought that this would be a whole lot easier. i have an appointment jan 13 at 10:30. not looking forward to this. with codes i could have fixed it myself. this is just weird.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
i used the torque(lite) app and elm327 app. downloaded dash command but could not connect to it. these apps showed no fault codes either. i could read rpm correctly to verify that i was connected to my jeep. guess i will just have to take it to dealer and pay a fortune to get repairs that i cannot verify. would have thought that this would be a whole lot easier. i have an appointment jan 13 at 10:30. not looking forward to this. with codes i could have fixed it myself. this is just weird.
The torque lite app has not been updated in a very long time, the torque pro app gets regular updates. Might be worth $5 to find out if that is your problem.

Chrysler ECU-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all-good

took it to my dealer and dropped it off. about 1 hour later i saw them test driving it. went in to pay up and got a great surprise. they told me that even though it was out of warranty but it had so few miles that they replaced the left rear sensor free. did not expect that but am very happy. and if jeep comes out with a pick-up truck next year i will buy one from this dealer.

thanks to everyone for your reply. hope things work out this well for you too!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts