Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a mysterious problem with my 2012 JK 2DR I just bought used and just ran out of the basic warranty when I noticed the problem! Bugger!!! The fog lamps work and blink as turning signals, the left one blinks for left turn and right one blinks for right turn.

when you turn on the fog lights on the stick inside, it lights up the orange turning signal on both sides and stays on constant. The one's in the back work fine. I'm guessing, there is a swapped plug somewhere in the engine bay.

I've checked for any error codes with OBD. No error codes whatsoever.

Anyone guide me on this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
My guess would be that a previous owner had installed and then uninstalled and aftermarket bumper and fenders, and maybe when reinstalling the originals the wires for the fogs and turn signals got swapped.

Your situation reminds me of when my dad owned a mid '70s Ford Thunderbird. Big, long heavy beast with a 460 ci engine that drank gasoline at an astonishing rate. The steering wheel had the horn function on a small rubber rim that ran on the inside front edge of the circumference of the steering wheel, along with toggle buttons for the cruise control. At some point the horn "button" ceased to work. My dad didn't want to spring for a new steering wheel - they were pretty spendy - and never used the cruise control so he just had his mechanic wire the horn to one of the cruise control toggles.

This was all unbeknownst to me and my younger brother, who came home for Christmas from our respective colleges, and took the T-Bird for a cruise out west of the city. Mark was driving, and there we were on an empty stretch of Interstate 20 wondering who the hell was honking at us, as he was trying to get the cruise control set. :lmao:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess would be that a previous owner had installed and then uninstalled and aftermarket bumper and fenders, and maybe when reinstalling the originals the wires for the fogs and turn signals got swapped.

Your situation reminds me of when my dad owned a mid '70s Ford Thunderbird. Big, long heavy beast with a 460 ci engine that drank gasoline at an astonishing rate. The steering wheel had the horn function on a small rubber rim that ran on the inside front edge of the circumference of the steering wheel, along with toggle buttons for the cruise control. At some point the horn "button" ceased to work. My dad didn't want to spring for a new steering wheel - they were pretty spendy - and never used the cruise control so he just had his mechanic wire the horn to one of the cruise control toggles.

This was all unbeknownst to me and my younger brother, who came home for Christmas from our respective colleges, and took the T-Bird for a cruise out west of the city. Mark was driving, and there we were on an empty stretch of Interstate 20 wondering who the hell was honking at us, as he was trying to get the cruise control set. :lmao:
Hahaha! that is quite hilarious! Electrical's are always a big pain! I downloaded the service manual for 2014 online, unfortunately can't get the wiring diagrams to open on it. Found the fuse locations and connections, but the diagrams that show locations of connections and grounds won't open.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Previous owner probably tried to mess with the wiring, shouldn't be too hard to figure out. just need to trace your wiring into the fuse box and see if their in their proper locations
I'm going to try that today. All the wiring is in the black sleeves, might have to get the front grill and driver side headlight out to access them. Is there any wiring plugs and grounds in the fenders on a 2012. Any idea?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts