Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching the forums, I think i've decided upon a preliminary plan for lift and wheels/tires. I orginally wanted to go gung ho on a big lift and tires but after reading some threads i've realized that the amount of extra work that would have to be done to accommodate a huge lift is probably not in my best interest. So, that being said, i've narrowed down to a few choices, but would like opinions or advice if something sounds like it won't work:

Lift
Either the Teraflex 2.5" Performance Budget Boost OR the Teraflex 2.5" Lift Kit (Coils) w/o Shocks (plan to add shocks, still researching the best ones to go with this setup). Theres not a huge difference in price that i've found between the BB and the actual lift kits but how to decide?

Can I add a small body lift (like an extra inch) to get more height with these kits? Still unclear how it would work but i definitely want to AVOID having to mess with driveshafts, etc.

I'm still debating on tires and would love 35's on 17" rims but are crazy expensive and i'm unsure if a 2.5" lift would accomodate this without more adjustments i'm unfamiliar with. Would 35's on 15" rims be a better idea with this build or should i just chuck that idea and go with 33's on either 17s or 15s?

Advice is greatly appreciated!
Below is a pic of how my Jeep currently looks, except now it has a soft top.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Drive it just the way it is an enjoy it!

Or...go Rubiclone. (This is what I considered when I looked at 2-doors).

19/59 or 60 springs an Rubi Shocks
Rubi take-off wheels
Ace Rock Rails.
Boom....

·
Registered
996 Posts
After researching the forums, I think i've decided upon a preliminary plan for lift and wheels/tires. I orginally wanted to go gung ho on a big lift and tires but after reading some threads i've realized that the amount of extra work that would have to be done to accommodate a huge lift is probably not in my best interest. So, that being said, i've narrowed down to a few choices, but would like opinions or advice if something sounds like it won't work:

Lift
Either the Teraflex 2.5" Performance Budget Boost OR the Teraflex 2.5" Lift Kit (Coils) w/o Shocks (plan to add shocks, still researching the best ones to go with this setup). Theres not a huge difference in price that i've found between the BB and the actual lift kits but how to decide?

Can I add a small body lift (like an extra inch) to get more height with these kits? Still unclear how it would work but i definitely want to AVOID having to mess with driveshafts, etc.

I'm still debating on tires and would love 35's on 17" rims but are crazy expensive and i'm unsure if a 2.5" lift would accomodate this without more adjustments i'm unfamiliar with. Would 35's on 15" rims be a better idea with this build or should i just chuck that idea and go with 33's on either 17s or 15s?

Advice is greatly appreciated!
Below is a pic of how my Jeep currently looks, except now it has a soft top.
Your at now where I started last July, my first thing was to make it more off road capable so I had a Eaton truetrac installed in the rear and a Eaton E locker in front. Next I got rid of those stock wheels and went with ATX teflon coated wheels nothing sticks to them not even mud. I added a teraflex leveling kit to level it out but then added a 100 pound bumper and 60 pound winch and lost the level part. I changed out the front coil from 14 to 19 then the front was to high so I removed 1 of the front pucks that almost made it. Then I changed the rear coil from a 56 to a 59 and it's level again. This gave me 2 1/4 inches over what it was stock and it's level. Then I replaced the junk stock shocks with Rancho's xl9000 shocks because they are adjustable. I love the way it handles on and off road now. I'm going to run my stock 255/75/17 BFG tires threw the winter this year. I'll be going to 285/70/17 Duratrac in the spring or summer. I do love the color of you jeep. I added the ACE rock rails and a few other things so far ( I think it's a sickness) My jeep is not a DD it's a toy for now. Enjoy you journey on building your jeep. I found so many great people and advice on this forum, use the search tab you can find almost anything your looking for. I want my jeep to be my jeep and not a copy of someone's else jeep. All you need to build a great jeep is deep pockets or a loaded wife. Have fun

·
Registered
317 Posts
The actual coil spring lift will provide better articulation and offroad abilities than the budget boost. Keep in mind that when going with a 2.5" lift kit especially the Teraflex. You will need to either buy wheel spacers or after market wheels with approx 4.5" or less of backspacing, as the rear sway bar links are longer and will contact the factory wheels without the addition of wheel spacers. Another consideration is to purchase the Teraflex Exhaust spacers. If you plan on disconnecting the sway bar and fully flexing the jeep while offroading there is a chance the drive line boot could contact the Exhaust and tear the boot. I have the 2.5" Teraflex coil lift myself with the 9550 shocks and I love it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your at now where I started last July, my first thing was to make it more off road capable so I had a Eaton truetrac installed in the rear and a Eaton E locker in front. Next I got rid of those stock wheels and went with ATX teflon coated wheels nothing sticks to them not even mud. I added a teraflex leveling kit to level it out but then added a 100 pound bumper and 60 pound winch and lost the level part. I changed out the front coil from 14 to 19 then the front was to high so I removed 1 of the front pucks that almost made it. Then I changed the rear coil from a 56 to a 59 and it's level again. This gave me 2 1/4 inches over what it was stock and it's level. Then I replaced the junk stock shocks with Rancho's xl9000 shocks because they are adjustable. I love the way it handles on and off road now. I'm going to run my stock 255/75/17 BFG tires threw the winter this year. I'll be going to 285/70/17 Duratrac in the spring or summer. I do love the color of you jeep. I added the ACE rock rails and a few other things so far ( I think it's a sickness) My jeep is not a DD it's a toy for now. Enjoy you journey on building your jeep. I found so many great people and advice on this forum, use the search tab you can find almost anything your looking for. I want my jeep to be my jeep and not a copy of someone's else jeep. All you need to build a great jeep is deep pockets or a loaded wife. Have fun

Mcgee

First off, thanks for the input! Secondly, I love the look of ur jeep! I have definitely used that search tab and have found an overwhelming amt of info. being a noob i don't understand alot of it but have been educating myself and am catching on a bit. I'm not exactly sure what some of the equipment you mentioned is but i'll look it up. So it sounds like you replaced coils to get the lift on your wrangler? at the height ur at now did you have to mess with the driveshaft, etc? I don't have deep pockets but I want it done right, but don't wanna get too crazy with the cost. I would love to run 35's on 17s, could i do that with the 2.5" coil lift? Hope so. I'm deployed right now and feverishly saving my money so I can get what I want when i get back, thats why i'm coming up with a plan now so as soon as i get back to San Diego I can get it done :) Thanks for the advice man!

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
yes. you can put a 2.5" coil lift on there and run 35's. a large percentage of JK owners do this as the most common lift/tire package.

i'd recommend a 2.5" coil lift by suspension paired with blistein shocks. very popular and common.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
clvnmcd - love your jeep man. did you have to do any adjustments to gears or anything to run your 35's on 17" rims? I basically know nothing about why it would require this or when i'd have to do it

·
Registered
317 Posts
Gearing change depends on what gearing your Jeep currently has, size of tire, and weight of the tire/wheel combo you are running. There are some great threads on here that reference that topic. My Jeep had 4.10 gearing, 6sp manual transmission, so with the 315/70/17 Duratracs (kind of a light/short 35" tire) I do just fine with the gearing I have. a lot of other guys do fine with 3.73 gearing as well and 35" tires. However, 3.21 gearing and 35" tires will leave alot of jeepers saving for a regear. It all kind of depends on the type of driving you do and weight of other additions.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Mcgee

First off, thanks for the input! Secondly, I love the look of ur jeep! I have definitely used that search tab and have found an overwhelming amt of info. being a noob i don't understand alot of it but have been educating myself and am catching on a bit. I'm not exactly sure what some of the equipment you mentioned is but i'll look it up. So it sounds like you replaced coils to get the lift on your wrangler? at the height ur at now did you have to mess with the driveshaft, etc? I don't have deep pockets but I want it done right, but don't wanna get too crazy with the cost. I would love to run 35's on 17s, could i do that with the 2.5" coil lift? Hope so. I'm deployed right now and feverishly saving my money so I can get what I want when i get back, thats why i'm coming up with a plan now so as soon as i get back to San Diego I can get it done :) Thanks for the advice man!
This is my first jeep ever, my wife bought it for me. I didn't know anything about what I wanted or needed until I took my stock jeep off roading a few times with other guys that knew what they were doing. I live in Michigan not a lot of rock crawling here we trail ride and hill climb. My stock jeep sport was not not up to hill climbing the way it was. A truetrac is a aftermarket limited slip differential and the E locker is just what it sounds like an electric locker that locks the front for true 4 wheel drive. My jeep sits up just over 2 inches and my wife has asked me not to go higher she paid for it what can I say. A thread here show me your black 17 is a good place to see what your jeep will look like with 35 on it. I would have posted the link if I can find it.
Remember this everyone here was new at one time, that's what makes these forums so cool. They help out us newbee's

481 Posts
Can I suggest you look at Rock Krawler lifts. They have a number of 2.5 lifts. All are upgradeable. The Rock Krawler springs are very good. I have added over 350 lbs in after market bumpers and winch and saw very little loss in height. This is due to the progressive springs on the RK. I believe that RK gives you more for the dollar.

I would also recommend that whatever you do, make it a coil lift rather than a puck lift. In my opinion the worst coil is better than the best puck lift.

Spend the few bucks on the exhaust spacer from Teraflex. It will reduce any chance of your front drive shaft from meeting your crossover exhaust. Only warning here is that if you ever intend on putting on skid plates, you may need to remove the exhaust spacer and go with a new front drive shaft.

If you want to climb hills, you may want to save for some type of locker. There are a number of options, you should find what works for you best.

Have a great time building out your Jeep. Good to see you have a plan. Fair warning, it will most likely change, but changing a plan is always better than just throwing parts at your Jeep.

You may want to stay away from 15s, you can run into issues with your brake caliper. I've found reasonable availability and price for 16" wheels and Duratracs or other brands.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gearing change depends on what gearing your Jeep currently has, size of tire, and weight of the tire/wheel combo you are running. There are some great threads on here that reference that topic. My Jeep had 4.10 gearing, 6sp manual transmission, so with the 315/70/17 Duratracs (kind of a light/short 35" tire) I do just fine with the gearing I have. a lot of other guys do fine with 3.73 gearing as well and 35" tires. However, 3.21 gearing and 35" tires will leave alot of jeepers saving for a regear. It all kind of depends on the type of driving you do and weight of other additions.
How would i find out what gearing I currently have? and what kind of cost is involved in changing something like that?

·
Registered
317 Posts
How would i find out what gearing I currently have? and what kind of cost is involved in changing something like that?

If you go to Jeep.com you should be able to get a build sheet of your Jeep, there you can find out what gearing you have. As far as the cost of regearing, you should probably just find a reputable shop and get some quotes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the advice! I'm definitely leaning more towards the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift now and getting good shocks to go with it. From what I can 35's on 17" rims seem to be more common and I currently have 17" rims (stock). If I went with 15's would that mean I'd have to get a new mount for my back spare tire? I'm not sure at what point i'd have to change that out but i don't wanna be doing that if i don't have to. Also, will the 2.5" lift be enough to not have to worry about 35" tires rubbing?? i've read mixed reviews.

Thanks a lot!

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
35's and 17s are the best way to go. if you don't ever see yourself going above 35's you can save quite a few dollars by running a 15" wheel but your limited to max tire size with 35s. where as with 17" wheels you can go up to 40" tall tires.

you will see mixed reviews with people who have 2.5" coil kits and 35s because not everything else is the same.

on road, you will have absolutely no rubbing.

but off road is where you get all the different variations.

some people disconnect their sway bars. some people air down. some people have more bump stop than others. some people have high clearance fenders.

there is one thing i can almost guarantee. if you install a 2.5" coil lift from teraflex, which is one of the best companies out there, and you decide to air down to 10-12psi when off roading, and you disconnect your sway bar, and you start articulating it to the maximum, you will get tire rubbing.

now, (insert below) those people who have 2.5" lifts with 35's and let them tell you that you won't rub.

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
just make sure when people tell you that you wont rub with 35's and a 2.5" lift, ask them for a picture while off roading and articulating. 99% of the time, you'll see them on a flat road with a few pebbles.

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
if you have any mechanical knowledge at all or tools or pizza, ask the guys in your local stagging area (SD) for a lift install or a hand to install and you'll save yourself an easy $500 on labor.

·
Registered
317 Posts
35's and 17s are the best way to go. if you don't ever see yourself going above 35's you can save quite a few dollars by running a 15" wheel but your limited to max tire size with 35s. where as with 17" wheels you can go up to 40" tall tires.

you will see mixed reviews with people who have 2.5" coil kits and 35s because not everything else is the same.

on road, you will have absolutely no rubbing.

but off road is where you get all the different variations.

some people disconnect their sway bars. some people air down. some people have more bump stop than others. some people have high clearance fenders.

there is one thing i can almost guarantee. if you install a 2.5" coil lift from teraflex, which is one of the best companies out there, and you decide to air down to 10-12psi when off roading, and you disconnect your sway bar, and you start articulating it to the maximum, you will get tire rubbing.

now, (insert below) those people who have 2.5" lifts with 35's and let them tell you that you won't rub.

Hehehehe (inserted) I'm running a 2.5" teraflex coil lift, Disconnect the Sway bar when offroad and articulate far enough I tore the driveline boot off on my Evap Canister skid plate and I didn't rub the rubi rails or anything else. Now here's the caveat.... I'm running 315/70/17 Duratracs, not exactly a 35" tire and the Rubi Rails are very close but don't hit the tires. Anything like a true 35" and I would need to do some trimming or if I wheeled like Pluke does...:whistling:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I haven't been off road yet, crazy with work right now since the install... but the 35's with a 2.5 lift and spydertrax did the trick for me. I'm out of town on business or I would give you some pics, maybe when I get back.

Like pluke said though, I am sure I would rub off road at this point. I am planning on high clearance fenders after my regear.

Also like Pluke said, 35's are about $100 cheaper per tire on a 15" rim than a 17"... once you hit 17" rim add about $30-50 per tire for each size up on the wheel. My 18" XD's and 35" nittos cost about $2850 with TPMS and shipped. There is a good place in WI called extream customs I ordered mine through.

Only certain wheels that are 15" will work on a JK as they have to work with the different brake set up than previous models.

End of the day, Pluke gives some great advice, I would listen to him... I run the AEV 2.5" springs and bilstein 5100's and the ride is awsome on the road. dying to take it off road.

I'm really just weighing in to give you an idea of what the price difference is between tire and rim sizes other than that...

:popcorn:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts