Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Wanted to save others from the same headaches I've gone through on a problem that is popping up slowly but steadily across the net. For some people (obviously myself included), a loud noise/vibration is heard from the center console area in/behind the dash near the shifter, when the truck, and ambient air are cold, from 1200-1500 rpms. It gets louder as you put more load on the engine and goes away once the truck is up to full operating temperature.

After months of digging, reading, and experimenting, I was finally able to solve the gremlin this morning, after reading about some else's similar problem (thanks Oatmountain Al !) and how he had to let the dealer tear his new dash apart to make the noise go away. I wanted to share how I achieved silence without ripping the dash or heater core out.

It seems the noise/vibration comes from the two aluminum heater lines that enter the cabin through the firewall, where they go from rubber in the engine bay to aluminum line once in the cabin. They run very close to each other. My suspicion is that when cold, they are shrunk and thus close enough that they do not normally touch (as I found by running cardstock between them); they are however close enough to vibrate against one another under load (1200-1500 rpm). I believe when the motor heats up, the tubes expand and fit tighter in the plastic line holder or press against each other enough so they touch tightly and don't vibrate. My fix was to remove the glovebox, slice a piece of heater hose (bought at any autoparts store) and slide it between the two tubes, up towards the top right where they make a sharp 90 degree bend. This has worked and I repeated it by removing and re-installing (I also re-tested tonight at a brisk 29 degrees and once again had silence for the first time since it got cold it September). See pics below (note, I later added a zip-tie below the hose to keep it from sliding down). Good luck, and enjoy your 12's, I hope this saves a lot of other people from some major headaches and dash vibrations. I'm glad I found a DIY fix for it instead of bringing it in for a major teardown at the dealer. Happy Wheelin-

-Rich

Attachments

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Thanks Rich, good info. Picture's a big help! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks, now I know what to look for in case this happens with mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You the man!

That noise has been driving me crazy! Exact symptoms as yours. Will be applying your fix tomorrow.
Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have the same noise. Guess what I am doing tomorrow.

--Sean

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank You! I've been all over mine, 'thumping' stuff to try and recreate that intermittent buzz. Now I'll get it fixed this weekend.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
This is something I'm experiencing!
I will be checking this fix out this weekend, THANK YOU!

It is a minor annoyance, great to have a fix figured out that we can do ourselves.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh man I was thinking maybe that's just how my 2012 was supposed to be..(first jeep). I couldn't find the source, I was trying hold different things down while driving haha. Thanks for the info and the fix!

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
I'll pass that tip along to a friend with a 2012 complaining of a similar noise.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I took mine into the dealer to fix this issue a couple months ago. After 3 days of poking around, their fix was to ziptie the two pipes more closely together outside the firewall. This has the similar effect of spreading the pipes further apart inside the vehicle. I still get a vibration when the temp is very low, so might apply your rubber bumper idea inside as well. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts