Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enough with the engine talk, let's move on to what some would say is an even more important component.

From Allpar: "A new automatic is planned and probably a new Fiat manual transmission, possibly with an updated transfer case (maybe bringing back a full-time setting for broader market appeal)." <<< As in no more selection of 2wd / 4wd rendering it more/less a Ford Escape??

Personally, I'm more concerned about the manual option. Any ideas on what this might be? Will it be better than the manual in the 2011 (shift boots aside)?

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
FWIW Jeep had a full time 4WD system in the 70's.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well technically, the Escrape uses a computer that takes it in/out of 4WD something like 200 times a second.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Personally, I'm more concerned about the manual option. Any ideas on what this might be? Will it be better than the manual in the 2011 (shift boots aside)?

FWIW, this allpar link reads:
Upcoming changes in the Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep lineups

said:
“vwtodd” confirmed that the 2012 will include the Pentastar V6; a diesel was being looked at, but needs to pass emissions at reasonable cost. A new automatic is planned and probably a new Fiat manual transmission, possibly with an updated transfer case (maybe bringing back a full-time setting for broader market appeal). Sheet metal changes will improve aerodynamics (strong chance of major windshield and front end redesign). There is a strong chance of some sort of "stripped" model as production line can now apply bedliner to tubs during assembly. Better quality is also expected.

·
UConn Husky
546 Posts
My 79 CJ7 was full time 4wd (Quadra Trac they called it)

Worked very well, MPG not so good, even in Jeep terms

The standard was always selectable as far as I remember, and my oldest jeep was a 59

·
Banned
764 Posts
I had a 77GMC 3/4 ton with full time 4x4 and I loved it. It was always in 4 high with the transfer case dif unlocked. Great for snow plowing and everything else. Occasionally when you needed a little more traction you just pulled her back to 4 high loc which locked the center diff in the transfer case. Then it jumped and hopped just like the jeep and other part time systems when u hit a dry patch. Then 4 low was locked all the time, just like a part time 4x4 also. U very rarely needed to loc the center dif and u always had all wheel drive at all speeds and in all conditions. Ten times better then this part time junk they all have nowadays if they have a transfer case. Gas millage wasn't much worse then any of this new fuel injected crap either.

·
Registered
249 Posts
From Allpar: "A new automatic is planned and probably a new Fiat manual transmission, possibly with an updated transfer case (maybe bringing back a full-time setting for broader market appeal)." <<< As in no more selection of 2wd / 4wd rendering it more/less a Ford Escape??
Not exactly. I've seen a full time shifter in a Grand Cherokee and its the same as a part time system with the extra setting for full time. This would probably be an option anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts