Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey out there in Jeep Land:

We just had delivered a new Jeep Wrangler SPort with a standard transmission. From the start, we had some noticable rattling noise in 3rd and 4rth gear. The dealer listened to it, and is now planning on replacing the entire transmission! Has anyone else had this problem? I am hoping this doesn't speak to the overall reliability of the Jeep. It gets too cold here in Minnesota to have a car break down.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Don't be surprised if the replacement transmission also rattles in 3rd gear. It known in Jeep Land as "Wrangler Rattle". Most of us have learned to love it.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Mine doesn't rattle. If it did, I wouldn't be content to live with it. Not with something like the transmission. But I'm anal that way. :D

When you get your Jeep back, gorilla, it should NOT rattle.

Welcome to WF, by the way. :thumb:

·
Banned
764 Posts
Time to trade for a auto. Very few rattle, better in the hills and on the trails. Manuals are for lawn mowers, and Manual is for mowing your yard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't noticed any rattle on my 6-speed '12...I would definitely take it in and not settle for a diagnosis of wrangler rattle... Get it fixed!

·
Registered
633 Posts
6spd. '11 w/ 6K and NO issues. A rattle in 3rd and 4th?,.......no way that is normal IMHO.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Time to trade for a auto. Very few rattle, better in the hills and on the trails. Manuals are for lawn mowers, and Manual is for mowing your yard.
So, then some autos rattle. Never heard of that. My manual works great. No issues. But, if you're bashing manuals I'll just stand by. :popcorn: Oh, I get it "Manual". :rolleyes:

·
Banned
764 Posts
So, then some autos rattle. Never heard of that. My manual works great. No issues. But, if you're bashing manuals I'll just stand by. :popcorn: Oh, I get it "Manual". :rolleyes:
Autos can make every noise under the sun when they are dying and on their last leg. Clunks, bangs, pops and all kinds of wines and rattles.

·
Registered
142 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
But my 6 speed lawnmower keeps popping out of 1st gear..... What do I do?

Leaks too... A lot :(
Mine pops out of first but no leaks 2010 sport started at 40k marker

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all for your posts. It is good to know what is typical and what is not when talking to the dealer about this. Any other common problems I should look out for?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I prefer an auto since I am constantly dealing with rugrats and dogs when we geo cache and a manual would be one more issue

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine only has 470 miles on it and it sometimes rattles in 3rd, as well as pops out of 4th when it's cold and randomly as well. Should I be worried?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts