Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought much of it, but are 2012s semi lifted? I have had 3 Jeepers ask me what lift I have, the answer is none, just curious. I have noticed I do sit higher than a lot of other jeeps too.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Meh.. Just the spring stiffness likely.. Some JK's got stiffer springs then others. Did you order yours or buy it off the lot?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Never thought much of it, but are 2012s semi lifted? I have had 3 Jeepers ask me what lift I have, the answer is none, just curious. I have noticed I do sit higher than a lot of other jeeps too.
^^No.

Meh.. Just the spring stiffness likely.. Some JK's got stiffer springs then others.
^^Yes.

3.6 is almost 100lbs lighter, :thumb:
Which would cause a similar swing in height as a full tank of gas or a hard top. That's not it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meh.. Just the spring stiffness likely.. Some JK's got stiffer springs then others. Did you order yours or buy it off the lot?

Off the lot XJ, had to wait a week for black though, so I guess they got from another dealer or ordered, not sure. I didn't ask for anything specific.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Don't they put stiffer springs on Jeeps that are built with a hardtop? I'm pretty sure they did on the TJ's back in the day.....

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
If you got the tow package, it will have stiffer springs.

I was at a stereo shop today (getting CB installed) and someone asked me what size lift I have on. I do have the tow package.

I was thinking about finding some rubi spring/shock take offs, but not sure it would do me much good. Maybe in the front.

When I had my wheels put on, I checked the suspension:

Front:
spring number 52126317 AC

shock number 68028415 AC

Rear:
Springs: 59
Shocks: 55

I'm still a noob, but sounds like the Rubi 19/59 setup wouldn't really be worth the trouble? It would give me better shocks though.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed that right away with mine. (off the lot here)
It sits noticeably higher.
That's where I am at...I started paying attention, it is actually really noticeably higher. I will take a look at the springs tomorrow.

It does have the factory tow package.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I concur, mine also sits higher with no lift parked beside other stock jeeps and I too have the tow package.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree. Have had multiple people ask about my "lift" that I do not have. Parked next to a stock jeep the other day and sat noticeably higher. I purchased off the lot with 3.73's and no tow package.

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
I was thinking about finding some rubi spring/shock take offs, but not sure it would do me much good. Maybe in the front.
Shocks yes, but in the ride not height, springs are the same, they are as random on the Rubi as everything else. Don't look for "Rubi" springs just stiffer ones.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It is likely that the 2012s sit a bit higher because the Springs have not had enough time to settle yet. As more time goes on, they will probably sit lower, similar to the older models.

I have changed springs out on cars and older Jeeps before and have found this to always be the case. In fact, usually when you change out springs in a car to drop it for example, you need to wait for a while before getting it re-aligned because the springs will settle more making the drop more significant with some time.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
It is likely that the 2012s sit a bit higher because the Springs have not had enough time to settle yet. As more time goes on, they will probably sit lower, similar to the older models.

I have changed springs out on cars and older Jeeps before and have found this to always be the case. In fact, usually when you change out springs in a car to drop it for example, you need to wait for a while before getting it re-aligned because the springs will settle more making the drop more significant with some time.
Kind of a side note, but I noticed that the first time I hauled some furniture that mine felt a little bit less "wiggly" hitting bumps, and that it actually felt better driving around.
I also noticed that now that I've installed my Ace rails at 50lbs per side it has that sightly more "settled" feeling when driving, although I don't see a difference in ride height.

I joked to my wife at the time that the folks at Jeep knew in advance that people would be bolting all kind of interesting and heavy accessories to our rigs and sprung it a little heavy to account for that! :D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you got the tow package, it will have stiffer springs.

I was at a stereo shop today (getting CB installed) and someone asked me what size lift I have on. I do have the tow package.

When I had my wheels put on, I checked the suspension:

Front:
spring number 52126317 AC

shock number 68028415 AC

Rear:
Springs: 59
Shocks: 55

I'm still a noob, but sounds like the Rubi 19/59 setup wouldn't really be worth the trouble? It would give me better shocks though.
Hmm:
I checked my rear springs I found #68004255AA

Not sure what that is, but different than yours

1 - 20 of 25 Posts