Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by a car audio place to see what they offered that I might want to put in my 2013. The install tech told me that the pin out schematics and harnesses aren't out yet for the 2013 and that they all changed. He thought he could rig something up, but would likely not be able to get the steering wheel connections working. Is this accurate or he off base?

I know Jeep changed from Infinity to Alpine, but did they actually change the schematics or pin outs on the stock harnesses? Doesn't make much sense.

BTW, I have a 2013 Sport S with connectivity and sirius, but not the alpine upgrade. I'm looking to change/add - head unit, amp, all new speakers and backup camera.

Also, while it may not be published yet, is there a good repair manual available for the 2012 and when would the 2013 normally come out?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I can tell you next week when I wire my brothers '13!

I don' think you will have a problem with the current PAC on the market for steering wheel controls; it programs itself - especially since you are swapping head units. Lots of people have wired backup cameras, do a search you will find some installs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a 2013 with the Alpine setup and can tell you nothing changed. I installed a Clarion CX-501 and used all the PAC adapters from last year and everything works fine for running the Alpine setup and steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have a 2013 with the Alpine setup and can tell you nothing changed. I installed a Clarion CX-501 and used all the PAC adapters from last year and everything works fine for running the Alpine setup and steering wheel controls.

This is what I was afraid of... I didn't want to change out the head unit because I didn't want to loose the steering wheel controls.

Are you saying that your steering wheel controls control your aftermarket head unit?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I understand after searching that you can make everything work but the phone button but an aftermarket set up might have bluetooth anyhow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What about UConnect features? Voice and phone buttons?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
What about UConnect features? Voice and phone buttons?
I would think that an aftermarket Head Unit would render the UConnect system useless, since most of them have bluetooth capabilities built in. But thats a complete guess.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
Correct. However if you do have the Uconnect system, you'll want to get to the module and disconnect it. It's located behind the HVAC control head.
Leaving it plugged in won't keep the radio from working but what could happen is that it may throw a DTC because the CAN BUS network will see that it's not powering up.
Not a real big issue, however it could cause a tech to chase after a non related issue if you had to take the vehicle to the dealer for any future problems. When he put scan tool on the vehicle he'll see a DTC for the UC module as well as whatever may be the issue at the time. So really this is just a precautionary step. :thumb:

I would think that an aftermarket Head Unit would render the UConnect system useless, since most of them have bluetooth capabilities built in. But thats a complete guess.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Correct. However if you do have the Uconnect system, you'll want to get to the module and disconnect it. It's located behind the HVAC control head.
Leaving it plugged in won't keep the radio from working but what could happen is that it may throw a DTC because the CAN BUS network will see that it's not powering up.
Not a real big issue, however it could cause a tech to chase after a non related issue if you had to take the vehicle to the dealer for any future problems. When he put scan tool on the vehicle he'll see a DTC for the UC module as well as whatever may be the issue at the time. So really this is just a precautionary step. :thumb:
Interesting. When I repalced my 130 HU and went the PAC harness route with the SWI, I left the UConnect as is. I thought that it would still be connected but have nowhere to go since the 130 HU was no longer connected.

In my set-up, my Pioneer unit is a BT so it has its' own phone button. When programming the SWI, I used the steering wheel phone button as a favorites channel changer. So on mine I have the 6 buttons programmed behind the wheel (up, down and middle on left and right) to control volume, channel, function (CD, USB, etc) and mute.

One little odd thing is that when I turn the ignition off and leave the key in, the EVIC displays "Stereo off" (or something like that) even when the stereo is not really off. Must be part of the UC module..

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So on mine I have the 6 buttons programmed behind the wheel (up, down and middle on left and right) to control volume, channel, function (CD, USB, etc) and mute.
Was it possible for you to map the answer call button on the steering wheel to the answer call on your head unit?

Do you know what SWI harness you used and where did you get it?

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
Like I said. it won't cause any issues just that the CAN BUS might see it as not online.
The EVIC probably has that message because the factory radio talks on the CAN BUS and the Pioneer takes CAN signal to turn on a 12 volt source and the radio doesn't talk on the CAN line.

Interesting. When I repalced my 130 HU and went the PAC harness route with the SWI, I left the UConnect as is. I thought that it would still be connected but have nowhere to go since the 130 HU was no longer connected.

In my set-up, my Pioneer unit is a BT so it has its' own phone button. When programming the SWI, I used the steering wheel phone button as a favorites channel changer. So on mine I have the 6 buttons programmed behind the wheel (up, down and middle on left and right) to control volume, channel, function (CD, USB, etc) and mute.

One little odd thing is that when I turn the ignition off and leave the key in, the EVIC displays "Stereo off" (or something like that) even when the stereo is not really off. Must be part of the UC module..

·
Registered
894 Posts
Like I said. it won't cause any issues just that the CAN BUS might see it as not online.
The EVIC probably has that message because the factory radio talks on the CAN BUS and the Pioneer takes CAN signal to turn on a 12 volt source and the radio doesn't talk on the CAN line.
Sounds about right on to me.

I did program the phone button on the wheel to be a "next programmed channel selector" sort of by accident. When programming I was doing the progression as the instructions said and I pressed that button during the program for next channel thinking I was doing the BT. I left it that way as my PAC-SWI is an older one that doesn't support the phone BT selection on the HU after trying a few times.

Mine is one of the original PAC-SWI-PS or PAC-SWI-RC units. Not sure which.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, I have a leather steering wheel from a new 2013 Sahara with Uconnect (GPS/DVD/Mp3 etc). Can I swap this for a non-leather steering wheel from a 2013 Jeep that does not have Uconnect? I have heard that I will lose the phone button which is no big deal but I want to keep the other button functions. how ? thank you?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
They all have the switch panels in the front and radio controls in the back, so I think you could swap the switches out of yours and into the non leather wheel if you wanted to swap. That way you would still have all of your controls, but the non leather wheel. Just curious as to why you would want the rubber wheel instead if the nicer feeling leather one?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
They all have the switch panels in the front and radio controls in the back, so I think you could swap the switches out of yours and into the non leather wheel if you wanted to swap. That way you would still have all of your controls, but the non leather wheel.
I'm not sure I'm following this. Can you explain a little more please?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following this. Can you explain a little more please?
Sure. Even the most base models that don't have a leather wheel still have the 2 radio controls on the back, cruise switch on the front, and a "dumbed down" switch pod on the front with step and menu buttons. If you wanted to swap one of those wheels in, you could remove the dumbed down switch pod and replace it with the pod from your leather wheel that has the phone and EVIC buttons on it. That way you could have the non leather wheel, but retain all your current functions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I ordered a new headunit and adapter from Crutchfield 2 weeks ago. Long story short, their adapter was from PAC and it doesn't work for 2013 JKU. I had to call PAC themselves to confirm it after getting 2 replacement units. Apparently it's a software issue with the 2013 model and they haven't had an update yet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts