Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Jeep so I don't have much to compare to. When I am coasting, after acceleration but before I put on the brakes it feels like the tranny doesn't shift gears properly. Almost like it is engine braking.

Also I am averaging about 15.5 mpg (mostly city some highway). Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
899 Posts
This is my first Jeep so I don't have much to compare to. When I am coasting, after acceleration but before I put on the brakes it feels like the tranny doesn't shift gears properly. Almost like it is engine braking.

Also I am averaging about 15.5 mpg (mostly city some highway). Anyone else notice this?
I felt the same when I first bought mine (2012 JKU with 3.73) in May. I thought I would hardly ever have to use brakes with the engine doing the stopping work. I also felt there was a delay after presssing the gas pedal before acceleration began.

Either I have gotten used to it or over time it goes away becaue I don't notice it anymore.

PS It does get better gas mileage after 2,000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes that's by design. There's 3 break in periods, roughly 500 miles, 1000 miles and 2500 miles +/-. First one is exactly that really clunky and engine braking feeling, there after it improves, that goes away around 1000 miles, performance picks up, come 2500 miles, computer completely lets go of control and the thing is free.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think that the engine braking thing is normal for the auto, not dependent on the gearing, I know I saw that in a thread before with the 2012.

If you are not used to the way that the electronic torque converters work it is different than most other autos you have driven too, the engagement is a little different than hydro. Almost seems like there are extra gears in there.

As for mileage, I get about 16ish, and 18+ on freeway trips, I drive like grandma too...
I really was hoping for better based on reports and I have the 2door, not sure what that is about, I also have 3.73, auto 2012 with 33" Duratrac's.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a 2013, auto, 3.73s, 1500 miles so far. I don't think I'd describe my jeep's shifting as clunky but I do have one issue with it: when I'm accelerating very slowly, it sometimes seems to up shift too early and then the rpms are way too low for the next gear. Then it feels a little bogged down and sluggish until I give it more gas. It seems to want to accelerate and shift through the gears faster, but I'm trying to be easy on the skinny peddle because I'm also averaging 16 mpg (on board computer estimated, 33s procal'd).

I do notice that at any speed, whenever I take my foot off of the accelerator, it decelerates faster than any other vehicle I've driven. If it were any other vehicle, I would look down expecting the parking brake to be on. That said, unless I need to brake, I rarely ever take my foot completely off of the accelerator in the jeep now. When I'm coasting, I just rest my foot on the pedal but not really pressing down on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts