Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 trips to the dealer 1 TOB replacement 1,500 miles ago and this is still going on. 13,100 miles on the vehicle.

Last time at the dealer they "could not reproduce the issue". I immediately was able to reproduce it for them but they were closing and it was Friday. They want me to bring it back. They are an hour away. Would anyone like to trade their automatic? It's a Jeep thing right? :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39MgCsgIGu4

Any input from anyone that has had this would be appreciated. It's intermittent to an extent and it almost seems to matter where the clutch engages the flywheel. I can press the clutch in and "reset it" but a couple times brings it back.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ouch...nobody? I have looked at some other videos on Youtbe but have not seen this exactly.

The "ticking" sounds leads me to believe it's something with the clutch assembly itself and not the TOB... I just wanted some input before going back to the dealer.

·
Registered
328 Posts
mine does the same thing, not as loud though and only when warmed up. I've searched a decent amount about it and the conclusion is replacing the TOB doesn't help. Mine doesnt do it in gear either. Since i can't find a real solution I refuse to have the dealership start messing with it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm seriously considering trading for an auto. I love it but DAMN the 6speed leaves a LOT to be desired.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is the exact thing that mine is doing - same loudness and everything. I'm at 8400 miles on my '13. Had it replaced the first time at 4500 miles but the noise first started at like 3800. Replaced my TOB and dumbass germans blamed it on dirt getting in there, however it just started again on the new one at 7800 miles. Funny thing is I haven't gone offroading since the last replacement. I've been researching like crazy and I think it's a issue with preload being too high from the factory that's making them burn out. That explains why the lucky ones without the issue rarely ever have a problem - offroading or not, but those with it keep burning through TOB's going crazy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IF it is a TOB, is there one that holds up better/longer than the factory spec? I guess I should learn to get good at replacing thise things myself.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Clutch chatter. Mine was caused by slave cylinder failing and leaking brake fluid all over the clutch. Check you brake fluid. From what I understand the pucks don't sit evenly flat against the flywheel, causing the TOB to rattle. Changing the TOB won't help, you may have to change the clutch and flywheel too.

Do you have shudder too? The jeep lerches when starting out. If so that could be the clutch slipping suggesting oil or break fluid on the pucks.

I'd just changed my clutch out then the cylinder went. I'm gonna see how long it will go. From what I've read others say indefinite. If it starts to squeal then you need to replace your TOB.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a bit of roughness when starting out and reversing as well if you are slipping the clutch a bit (not fully engaged yet such as trying to back up slowly or start out slowly). This should go over well since I am now over the 12k clutch warranty. Maybe they will do the right thing since I have been bitching about this to them for a while now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
There is a bit of roughness when starting out and reversing as well if you are slipping the clutch a bit (not fully engaged yet such as trying to back up slowly or start out slowly). This should go over well since I am now over the 12k clutch warranty. Maybe they will do the right thing since I have been bitching about this to them for a while now. :rolleyes:
Any fluids leaking from the bell housing?

I had 10K on mine and they wouldn't honor the warranty, since I took it off road.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 2014 with the trans rattle. I checked the simple fixes (shifter knob, rubbing transfer case cables) to no avail. I'm pretty sure it's the TOB based on what others have said. I'm having the dealer look at it this week. This started at about 3k miles and has gotten worse now that I am at 6.5k miles.

·
Registered
296 Posts
mine does the same thing, not as loud though and only when warmed up. I've searched a decent amount about it and the conclusion is replacing the TOB doesn't help. Mine doesnt do it in gear either. Since i can't find a real solution I refuse to have the dealership start messing with it.
I'm in the same situation, no fluid leaking at all

·
Registered
145 Posts
My dealer tells me they are still waiting to hear back from Jeep "Tech Support". I like the suggestion about replacing it with the part available from Amazon and will bring this to their attention. They did acknowledge the rattle. At times, the rattle from underneath is loud enough so that the vehicle sounds like a diesel.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My dealer tells me they are still waiting to hear back from Jeep "Tech Support". I like the suggestion about replacing it with the part available from Amazon and will bring this to their attention. They did acknowledge the rattle. At times, the rattle from underneath is loud enough so that the vehicle sounds like a diesel.
let us know what they say!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, does it come and go and go away with the clutch pressed in?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts