Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited.....picked it up 8-14-2012................2000 miles.....No whistle problem.....Brake problem...but thats another story.

We just picked up a 2013 Rubicon 2 door for my wife this last Friday Sep 28th and 15 minutes later I noticed that behind the front passenger tire....but towards the engine/trans area that there is a pretty loud whistle.

(Not at all from the airbox area)

Told the dealer the next morning.....No Problem....Bring it in and we will get you a free loaner... Well, when I dropped it off on wednesday the service manager did hear it, loud and clear and looked surprised and said we will check it out.

2 days later, the service manager changes his tune..........Oh, that's normal.....we tested other 2 door jeeps and they make that noise too. Not the 4 doors he said.

I did not really say much...too pissed off.

Dealer is Huntington beach Jeep, Huntington Beach, Ca.

Any idea's what is going on with the whistle?

Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We have a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited.....picked it up 8-14-2012................2000 miles.....No whistle problem.....Brake problem...but thats another story.

We just picked up a 2013 Rubicon 2 door for my wife this last Friday Sep 28th and 15 minutes later I noticed that behind the front passenger tire....but towards the engine/trans area that there is a pretty loud whistle.

(Not at all from the airbox area)

Told the dealer the next morning.....No Problem....Bring it in and we will get you a free loaner... Well, when I dropped it off on wednesday the service manager did hear it, loud and clear and looked surprised and said we will check it out.

2 days later, the service manager changes his tune..........Oh, that's normal.....we tested other 2 door jeeps and they make that noise too. Not the 4 doors he said.

I did not really say much...too pissed off.

Dealer is Huntington beach Jeep, Huntington Beach, Ca.

Any idea's what is going on with the whistle?

Thanks.
i have an air whistle that changes of tone when my rpm does.hard to describe. it happens in 2nd or 3rd gear. it is combined with a kind of rattle also from the passenger side. i dont think it is normal and i am taking mine to the dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had a whistling sound on my previous car - air bridge/filter was loose. The engine sucks in a ton of air and any leak around the filter or throttle body produces a good whistle. Check those first.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No whistle around the air box or on top of the engine with the hood open. Those are good starting points and thank you for that. The whistle is really loud on the ground by the passenger side of the engine/trans area. Really...the dealer had it for 2 days....and nothing but "it's normal". It is loud enough to hear 12' away, maybe more. Something is not right. My other 2013, the unlimited has no whistle at all.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
So It's normal is the only explanation they offered? Sounds like someone was being a little lazy, try a different dealer and ask them to at least find out where it's coming from.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
just absurd. ask him to explain what the difference between the front of a 2 door and 4 door is.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
The PCV is on the passenger side rear of the engine. Exhaust leak?

Just throwing thoughts out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2012 has developed a whistle as well. seems like the same area that you described. It doesn't do it all the time. Seems to do it after it has warmed up a bit. BTW mine is a Sahara Unlimited.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Whistle or high pitched squeal?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just absurd. ask him to explain what the difference between the front of a 2 door and 4 door is.
I did and with a straight face the service manager said "the wheel base" ...That was from Huntington Beach Jeep.:banghead:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 2012 has developed a whistle as well. seems like the same area that you described. It doesn't do it all the time. Seems to do it after it has warmed up a bit. BTW mine is a Sahara Unlimited.
The same here.........Mine has to be warmed up to normal temp. It will not whistle when cold.
Can you hear it from about 10 or more feet away on the passenger side?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
No whistle around the air box or on top of the engine with the hood open. Those are good starting points and thank you for that. The whistle is really loud on the ground by the passenger side of the engine/trans area. Really...the dealer had it for 2 days....and nothing but "it's normal". It is loud enough to hear 12' away, maybe more. Something is not right. My other 2013, the unlimited has no whistle at all.
Don't know about yours but on my sport, the air box has a rubber lip that partially seals to the hood when closed. If your has this and it sits a little high it will actually draw air through the hood cross braces when the hood is closed, thus no noise when hood is up....just a thought.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't know about yours but on my sport, the air box has a rubber lip that partially seals to the hood when closed. If your has this and it sits a little high it will actually draw air through the hood cross braces when the hood is closed, thus no noise when hood is up....just a thought.
Thank you for the idea, I'll check it out as soon as she gets home in a few hours.

The whistle has been loud and clear since we picked it up 8 days [email protected]#$%

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I wish mine would whistle. Instead, it plays the song "Camptown Races" any time I'm in third gear. Annoying as hell.

And it's not even a good rendition. Sounds just like this:

Camptown Races video clip

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thread sounded familiar, there was a similar issue not long ago:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2012-automatic-transmission-whine-172115.html

here's a link to a video of the sound and location:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Automatic Transmission Whine - YouTube

to me it sounds more like a whistle than a whine.

Is yours same/similar?

That is IT!!!!!!! The same F*&king noise!...........
Now to really try to prove it is the tranny....
When I was under the jeep today I was 50-50 on it is the tranny or the cat in the upper passenger side fender area......I'm guessing that i was hoping that it was the cat. A much smaller problem but my luck as of just lately has not ran that way.:banghead:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts