Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right 1600 miles and she is sitting out front dead. She will turn over and start but will die after a few seconds. I am not happy!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
For a quick reply, and something you can do till someone more knowledgeable shows up - maybe disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, maybe see if that resets everything. might not do anything, just a thought.

but that just sucks! sorry.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
sounds like the security key is malfunctioning. I know if I use a key that had not been programmed it will do that run for a second or two and die.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I couldnt get my Harley started once and it was the battery in the key fob that went dead. Went and got my spare and it started right up.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Are you using a remote start?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Are you using a remote start?
If you are using a remote start and you are low on gas....that is what will happen............the motor will start and run for a few seconds and then turn off.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies, it was my key. The spare fired it right up. I feel like a dumbass.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My dad has the same issue with his 2011, sometimes after starting it up it cuts off after two seconds and needs a re start. He's still under warranty so I'm gonna tell him to try and get a new key from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I probably wouldn't have thought about that either. Course I'm one of those chicks that's loses my keys a lot anyway.... Shoosh!

I'd make sure to talk to your dealer bout that key. Those suckers are expensive.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Got a call from my Dealer yesterday and said there was a reflash needed
for mine for the non start problem. I have not had any problems with not
starting yet. My Dealer is pretty good about stuff like that so far. This is
the second time they have called for me to come in for a reflash. Mine
goes in next Friday anyway to have the Remote Start put in and that is
when they will do the reflash.
Rob ....,

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the jeep starts and then shuts off a few seconds later and the red security light comes on, it means there is a communication problem between your key and the alarm system. The car shuts off because it thinks it's being stolen. Try a different key for starters, if that doesn't work, disconnect the negative cable wait 10 seconds and reconnect it. It should work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts