Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a leak on the crack above the exhaust pipe on what I think is the transmission of my Wrangler. I have a manual transmission. I started hearing these dripping sizzling noise is ever since I first got it, after I shut it off , and I just got underneath to look at it after driving for a bit and it was literally almost squirting out. this is directly above the exhaust pipes next to the drain plug or what I think is a drain plug. attached is an image.

Can anyone confirm what this is? is it safe to drive, should I schedule an appointment with Jeep on Monday?

ForumRunner_20130714_171215.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M 2013 6 speed leaks in he same place but its condensation from the AC
This is what I was hoping, I was running the AC - but did not see anywhere for it to be coming from, there was no fluid dripping "around" the casing down to that point... So is the condenser inside that housing or something?

I also put my finger under the drip and the liquid had to smell and the viscosity of water - though a little brownish...

I was running in low-range for a mile or so in an off-road park here for a while and didn't know if it was heating up so much a defective seal busted and started leaking... (And no, did not bottom out or hit anything underneath).. I get really paranoid about stuff like that.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It's the same on mine. Didn't look like oil/trans fluid so I did a differential diagnosis - ran without the A/C and no drip and hiss. Since then I have added a skid plate which does an excellent job of really amplifying the drip and hiss sound effects when I run the A/C - no real concern though until it's something other than water.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the same on mine. Didn't look like oil/trans fluid so I did a differential diagnosis - ran without the A/C and no drip and hiss. Since then I have added a skid plate which does an excellent job of really amplifying the drip and hiss sound effects when I run the A/C - no real concern though until it's something other than water.
Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts