Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 2 days ago I bought a used 1 owner JK and it performed, well, alright while below 50MPH. There's a lot of vibration and somewhat loose steering under 50 but I'm guessing that's due to the 35 inch tires but what worries me most is when I took it up to highway speeds, it want to steer itself. Every time it hits a bump it vibrates and turns the steering wheel so I really have to constrict it from moving if I don't want to run off the road, and then sometimes when I'm switching lanes the tires take control of my steering and turn the jeep faster than I comfortable going 70 MPH. I've checked the front end and there doesn't seem to be any apparent reasons why this is. It has a Bilstein stabilizer and none of the tie rods look greasy or flat. It makes me have flash backs to when my ZJ had a death wobble and that's not a fun memory. Like I said, the steering is so loose it's almost like a 4 inch turn to start feeling anything from the tires at speed.

2013 Wrangler Sport 4" Lift 35" M/T

·
Registered
183 Posts
1. What kind of 4 inch lift is in it.

2. Does the drop pit man arm look stock? if it looks longer then stock then that's ur first problem...

3. Does it have the stock track bar? if it has a stock track bar, then that's your 2d problem.

4. Have your wife or a friend sit in the driver seat, with the keep off and ignition on just to unlock the steering, make them move the steering right to left as hard as they can and look at the ball joints and the end links on the track bar and the tie rod ends, any play in those then change them to new ones or upgrade altogether.

5. have your wheels straight and look at the front of the jeep, look at the axle and see if its shifted to either the left or right side if it is, then you will need to recenter that axle and that would need an adjustable track bar!!!

Normally when a jeep wonders side to side its due to the track bar being loose and the axle is shifting under the jeep when you turn or move the steering the axle will move to one said causing you to over steer

GOOD LUCK

You can also look in to doing this
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hardware/grade8-northridge4x4-grade-8-hardware-kit

read about it here
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/northridge-bolt-upgrade-kit-is-it-worth-it-343561.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts