Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok....HERE'S A GOOD ONE.....I have the electronic rearview mirror in my 2013 JK-U, Sahara.

I pull up to work and see a reflection off the dash...the two map lights on the bottom of the mirror are ON and won't shut off when you press the on/off buttons.

I checked the interior light switch and the interior light on the sound bar and rear roll bar are functioning properly. Tried turning the Jeep on and off....tried turning it off and locking the doors...they just won't shut off.

Go get them off I opened the little hatch in the back of the mirror and unplugged the harness.

Anyone else suffer from this or hear of this? :censored:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disconnecting it for a while didn't help....guess I'll be calling up the dealer.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I read a post that stated the map lights would not turn off if you replaced the dome lights with LED's. Did you change your dome light recently to LED's?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read a post that stated the map lights would not turn off if you replaced the dome lights with LED's. Did you change your dome light recently to LED's?
YUP.

But, I took them out and still can't get it to work right.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK...so after removing the RECON LED Dome light bulbs and leaving the mirror unplugged all day I plugged the harness back in the mirror and the map lights now function properly.

Thoughts?

I am quickly becoming not a fan of RECON if you read my Center Brake Light issue thread from last week.

I do have an appointment with the dealer for Friday AM, which I will keep for now and wait till Thursday to cancel. But it sure is strange.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Superbrite.com

That URL isn't active. Darn shame what happened with the RECON bulbs...they were nice and bright and I could see in the cabin. I wonder why that happened.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have been researching this a lot lately, and just order from superbrightled tonight as a matter of fact. I don't have the map lights, so I'm going to try the regular led festoon bulb in the rear light. From all the reading I've done it seems that if you have map lights on the rear view mirror you will need the can bus light for the rear festoon light in the jku. The dome lights are the 194 bulbs. The dome lights don't need to be can bus compatible. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I went ahead and ordered mine anyways.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I have been researching this a lot lately, and just order from superbrightled tonight as a matter of fact. I don't have the map lights, so I'm going to try the regular led festoon bulb in the rear light. From all the reading I've done it seems that if you have map lights on the rear view mirror you will need the can bus light for the rear festoon light in the jku. The dome lights are the 194 bulbs. The dome lights don't need to be can bus compatible. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I went ahead and ordered mine anyways.
You are 100% correct on that. I ordered matching white standard 194 LED's for the front and then used the CANBUS festoon in the rear, and I've had zero problems with the map lights.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are 100% correct on that. I ordered matching white standard 194 LED's for the front and then used the CANBUS festoon in the rear, and I've had zero problems with the map lights.
Awesome...so I wonder why RECON doesn't know about this!

·
Registered
258 Posts
What I don't know is whether I needed the can bus for my rear light or not. I don't have map lights on the rearview mirror, so I just ordered the regular festoon led bulb. What I couldn't find an answer to was if I used a can bus rear light, "and didn't need it" if it would work. I guess I'll find out in a couple day if what I ordered will work.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
What I don't know is whether I needed the can bus for my rear light or not. I don't have map lights on the rearview mirror, so I just ordered the regular festoon led bulb. What I couldn't find an answer to was if I used a can bus rear light, "and didn't need it" if it would work. I guess I'll find out in a couple day if what I ordered will work.
I think without the lights, you should be OK.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Alright, they worked. The only odd thing is that when I press the light to turn it on they don't come on if the Jeep is not running. Other than that they function exactly the same. With the Jeep off I can turn them on by opening the door or rotating the dimmer switch to the on position. If I press the light to turn it on with the Jeep running they work as normal.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2013. I have the Canbus festoon style LED bulb for the rear cargo area, and my map lights would not shut off. I needed to remove the LED bulb, put the incandescent bulb back in, and then it would work. But each time I tried the LED again, it reverted to being in the always on mode. I heard somewhere that you can remove the map light module altogether and fix it. The map lights on the mirror are useless anyhow; anyone do this yet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts