Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of rotating four tires dos it make sense to do a five tire rotation to include the spare so i get equal wear and make the tires last longer? if so what should the rotation order be or doesn't it matter?

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is a good question because the last time I took my car in for a tire rotation, I noticed that my spare had been moved. So I am unsure where they put the tire but I know that the dealer included it in the rotation.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Yes you should rotate all 5. Google rearward cross and you will see the pattern. It should also show the pattern in your tire warranty pamphlet.

·
Registered
793 Posts
These are other people's quotes and good one's in my opinion. pm me if you would like more info.
I believe that Jeep does the "F" forward cross.

"If you keep a good rotation schedule with all 5, you get nice even wear and use what you paid for. If you get a flat, put the spare on, it's not like it's going to be bald or something if you rotate it in."

"So after 5 years of keeping the same spare sitting out in the sun on the back of your jeep would you really trust using it in an emergency? Once the tire begins to dry rot it means you paid for a tire you never used. I don't know a lot about tires but I stayed at a holiday inn express once."

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are other people's quotes and good one's in my opinion. pm me if you would like more info.
I believe that Jeep does the "F" forward cross.

"If you keep a good rotation schedule with all 5, you get nice even wear and use what you paid for. If you get a flat, put the spare on, it's not like it's going to be bald or something if you rotate it in."

"So after 5 years of keeping the same spare sitting out in the sun on the back of your jeep would you really trust using it in an emergency? Once the tire begins to dry rot it means you paid for a tire you never used. I don't know a lot about tires but I stayed at a holiday inn express once."
Here's the link. I'm not happy with my dealer right now

Tire Tech Information - Tire Rotation Instructions

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wheel Question

I read an outstanding post on this blog about 3/4 Daystar Comfort Ride Lift Kit and Duratrac 33 with 15" rims.

The stock rims on my 2010 Rubicon are 17 inches. Are there any disadvantages to going to a 15 inch rim?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Confused on Tire and Wheel set ups

Thanks for all the help I've received by reading these posts, but I must admit I am lost when it comes to tire and wheel combos, back spacing, etc.
I have a 2013 JKU Ribicon on order. I don't plan on lifting it and am leaving the stock rims and wheels on most of the year. I think they will be great for the off roading I do. Mostly mud terrain, in and out of woods, up hills, etc.
However, I live in Wisconsin and hear that the setup isn't the greatest for light snow and ice driving.
I'm thinking of getting a second set of wheels and tires for throwing on from December thru February. I wouldn't mind a little wider stance, but don't want to F anything up. What can I get or how can I achieve a little wider stance without running into issues with rubbing or weight issues. Anyone have any experience here that could offer some help? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
The stock rims on my 2010 Rubicon are 17 inches. Are there any disadvantages to going to a 15 inch rim?
The argument for smaller rims: lighter weight, lower cost, cheaper tire cost, fatter sidewall, bigger contact patch.

There really isn't an argument against, other than personal preference. Some peeps just don't dig on the smaller wheel.

This thread will give you a crash course on wheels/tires and how they'll work with your Jeep: Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer!

And here's a link to a calculator that'll convert the standard tire sizes (285/70R17, etc) into inches for you: Tire Dimensions Made Simple - Discount Tire

If you decide to go with 15" wheels, be aware: most 15" alloy wheels will clear your Jeep's brake calipers, but most 15" steelies will not. Good luck. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
kbwwolf said:
The argument for smaller rims: lighter weight, lower cost, cheaper tire cost, fatter sidewall, bigger contact patch.

There really isn't an argument against, other than personal preference. Some peeps just don't dig on the smaller wheel.

This thread will give you a crash course on wheels/tires and how they'll work with your Jeep: Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer!

And here's a link to a calculator that'll convert the standard tire sizes (285/70R17, etc) into inches for you: Tire Dimensions Made Simple - Discount Tire

If you decide to go with 15" wheels, be aware: most 15" alloy wheels will clear your Jeep's brake calipers, but most 15" steelies will not. Good luck. :thumb:
Looks familiar :whistling:

·
Premium Member
643 Posts

So if I'm following this correctly, I can get the identical wheel and tire sizes that come standard on the Rubi just in a all season tire. If I want to achieve a wider profile, I can just get rims with a 4.5" back spacing and I've got what I want? Any opinions on handling/ performance when you do this? Any significant change?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
So if I'm following this correctly, I can get the identical wheel and tire sizes that come standard on the Rubi just in a all season tire. If I want to achieve a wider profile, I can just get rims with a 4.5" back spacing and I've got what I want? Any opinions on handling/ performance when you do this? Any significant change?
You can run any size wheel/tire combo from 15" up to 20"+. The cost of the tires/wheels will go up with each larger size, obviously.

As for the backspacing, it's what determines how far (or near) your wheels sit in relation to the Jeep. The smaller the #, the farther your wheels will stick out. Wheels that stick out farther will put more stress on your ball joints...not a big deal unless you go to extremes. The stock ball joints aren't all that great to begin with; most peeps will eventually replace em with something like the Synergy version.

Heavier/wider tires are gonna reduce your gas mileage, of course. But if you just go from stock wheels (6.25" bs) to aftermarket wheels with a bs of ~ 4.5", you won't notice too much difference in the handling.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have always done the rearward cross in the pics in post 5. Jeep is now just turned 50,000km old (bout 30,000 miles) and tires are about 1/2 to or slightly more worn and evenly across the tread face.

When the missus was working locally she had to go through 12 roundabouts each way in her 15km trip to work, so 24 roundabouts a day. And.. she drives it like speedway car. Back then I had to rotate the tires every 5,000km (3,000 miles) as by then the front passenger side outer edge was already very noticeably scalloping. Now she drives about 40km each way to her new job and all highway driving, I rotate every 10,000km (6,000 mile).

Highly recommend having a regimented tire rotation plan and stick to it. I actually write the method and the mileage each time I rotate across the top of the first page in the service record book. With a few cars and a bike the memory is not as good as it used to be so that saves me from guessing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts