Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the front dash panel speakers are also 6 1/2" just like the ones in the sound bar? I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yes, they are all 6.5"

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pete! Any advice on where to start for a audio system upgrade? I have the bare minimum stock system with no sub. Will a good all around speaker upgrade be a good start before adding a head unit/amp/sub?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Excellent question my friend. I did two systems: my 2012 and my brother's 2013. Both had the base system. I can link you to my system build here:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sound System Install - a set on Flickr

I used an Alpine KTP-445U amp to power the four 6.5" Kicker #77KICK10 2-way speakers.

This video will be valuable to you in order to get to the head unit: 2011 / 2012 Jeep Wrangler Dash & Radio Removal - YouTube

For a sub I used this: Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" Flat Subwoofer with Enclosure 800 Watts: Car Electronics
Reason being I can move it around easily. I can stack stuff on top of it and not worry about something poking the woofer.

For a head unit I used a Clarion CX501. It has built in Bluetooth which was a big factor for me. I installed a fancy Pioneer unit in my brother's but I am much happier with what I got. Those touchscreens suck for a number of reasons.

Check out my album and let me know if you have questions. There are lots of opinions of what people should do when it comes to a sound system. I went for cheap, simple and loud. Do it yourself and save a lot of money. Sounds great by the way.

Here are a few pics of my brother's 2013 install: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjtocci/sets/72157631819129506/

PS: I have yet to do tweeters. If anyone has input on what works best/easiest to install I am all ears.

PSS: I did the speaker upgrade first, using the factory head unit. It sounded much better but a lot was left to be desired. The factory HU puts out such a pitiful amount of wattage that distortion begins to occur when you crank it up a little. Perhaps you could keep the factory unit, then wire in some RCA adapters and use an amp, but I did not go that route.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info Pete. Just to let you know I have moved pretty fast with my sound system upgrade. All together I have installed 4 brand new Infinity Reference X Series 6 1/2" speakers in both the dash and sound bar. I have those powered by a 4 channel Alpine MRP-F300 amp. Additionally I have also installed an Alpine CDE-136BT head unit. Everything sounds GREAT so far. Honestly, I don't even feel the need for a sub. Maybe in the future but I am totally content with this setup so far. The last thing I want to do is the replace the factory tweeters with some Infinity Reference X Series tweeters to go along with my Infinity speakers. Do you know the exact size of the tweeters? If you are interested I can upload some pictures tomorrow when it is light out. Thanks again Pete!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts