Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals, as I have gotten used to most of the quirks of daily driving the JK, I was wondering what your collective input is on this. When braking moderately or first starting (letting off the clutch) at anything other than idle power the front end seems to dip/raise several inches. For instance the other night I noticed my headlight beams raise from the trunk of the car in front of me up into their interior as I took off behind them from the red light.

I know the springs are soft'ish for off roading but what should be the "normal" amount of squish for daily maneuvering? I put my full weight up and down on the bumper and their is not much bounce so I don't think it's the shocks. Perhaps the springs are lighter than I like? But it sits pretty level IMO.

Stock 2013 JK sport 9k miles.

Edit: It seems to ride great given its a 2dr wrangler and is on the verge of a "comfortable" ride lol...just stopping and taking off there is excessive "give" IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We recently purchased a 2012 Wrangler Sport
with 16000 miles on it. First thing we did was to put the AEV 2&1/2" sport lift suspension on it along with the ARV Drop Down Brkts for the front control arms
The ride & feel of our jeep really improved as the spongy feel in the ride was eliminated IMO and my wife concurred that it had a more sporty feel to it as well

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid of doing any suspension mods to stiffen anything up until I get some feedback lol. I don't want to regret turning it into a logging truck with a solid axle with no give, just getting some input on if this is typical as a general consensus.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The stock #13 coils are a little weak. Go on ebay and look for a set of #17 or #18 front JKU coils. They're stiffer and will give u about 1.5" of lift on your 2dr and will also level out your 2dr perfectly.
Mine was like that with the winch and bumper a bit squatty when braking. Bought some 17 front/59 rear coils for $75 on ebay and much better. Especially in the back when I use the hitch hauler when going on multi day expedition runs, I used to get flashed at night on the road because the rear would dip and cause the headlights to angle upward. Last trip nobody flashed me with the same gear on the hauler.
It's a good cheap fix, worked for me.
And P.S. I don't feel that the ride is any rougher than with the old springs.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Many owners find the stock Jeep suspension too stiff. Depending on which coils your JK has you may be able to replace the stock coils with some factory coils that have a higher spring rate or use some aftermarket coils if you want to lift your JK.

If you do want to lift your Jeep, the AEV kit will noticeably improve the ride and handling including roll and dive characteristics of your Jeep with it's highly tuned progressive coils and shocks.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Many owners find the stock Jeep suspension too stiff. Depending on which coils your JK has you may be able to replace the stock coils with some factory coils that have a higher spring rate or use some aftermarket coils if you want to lift your JK. If you do want to lift your Jeep, the AEV kit will noticeably improve the ride and handling including roll and dive characteristics of your Jeep with it's highly tuned progressive coils and shocks.
Lol and be ready for $$ to roll and dive out of your wallet. AEV is an awesome kit if u got the bucks.
Get some 18/59 or 19/60 coils off eBay for less than a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, it's just noticeable in braking and moderate acceleration. I was just afraid to jump straight to stiffer coils since I don't want it to ride like a lawn tractor after the fact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys, it's just noticeable in braking and moderate acceleration. I was just afraid to jump straight to stiffer coils since I don't want it to ride like a lawn tractor after the fact.
the stock non rubicon shocks (the black ones) are hydraulic and pretty pathetic.....buy some rubicon (the red ones) take off shocks and the diving will be greatly diminished due to the 'charged' nature of the gas shock.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Added the Rubicon shocks to my 2013 Sport, it stiffed up the ride without being uncomfortable

1 - 10 of 10 Posts