Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title reads I have a manual 3.73 with 35" BF Mud Terrains.

I live in Miami, FL - very flat on road and off roading here is flat as well. It's not a DD - I use the Jeep primarily to go to work on Fridays and run around on the weekends with my kids.

As soon as I installed the 35's I noticed the gearing change mainly in 6th gear on the highway. it just doesn't want to be in 6th. It's not horrible really, I've lived with it for 8 months now, but it could use the gear swap.

Considering a swap to 4.56 or 4.88. I've seen all the charts and read a lot of threads which tend to get off topic, but would like recommendations for my specific application. Any of you in my same situation which have made the change please chime in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Definitely 4.88s with a manual.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you crawl or do hills or tow a boat, 4.88
highways over 70 mph, 4.56
I think you will like either
This dilemma is kind of where I'm at.

Question. I have a 10,000 Lb 30' center console boat that I only pull out of the ramp and around the private marina with the Jeep. To drive on roads I borrow my dad's H2 hummer to pull the boat. I haven't pulled the boat out of the water yet with my Jeep, but I'm thinking if I drop it in to 4 Low I shouldn't have any problem with gearing. Will the 4.56 gears in 4L pull the boat out?

That way I can go with 4.56 and enjoy highway driving a little more or if I ever use it as my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
This dilemma is kind of where I'm at.

Question. I have a 10,000 Lb 30' center console boat that I only pull out of the ramp and around the private marina with the Jeep. To drive on roads I borrow my dad's H2 hummer to pull the boat. I haven't pulled the boat out of the water yet with my Jeep, but I'm thinking if I drop it in to 4 Low I shouldn't have any problem with gearing. Will the 4.56 gears in 4L pull the boat out?

That way I can go with 4.56 and enjoy highway driving a little more or if I ever use it as my daily driver.
That's a heckin lot of weight for a Jeep to pull, you're way over the towing capacity at that weight...even for short pulls.

As far as your gearing goes, I'm on 35's and went with 4.56 (but it's an auto and my daily) and I'm glad I didn't go to 4.88's. Unless you're seriously wheeling that thing every weekend I think 4.56 would be the way to go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a heckin lot of weight for a Jeep to pull, you're way over the towing capacity at that weight...even for short pulls.

As far as your gearing goes, I'm on 35's and went with 4.56 (but it's an auto and my daily) and I'm glad I didn't go to 4.88's. Unless you're seriously wheeling that thing every weekend I think 4.56 would be the way to go.
Thanks Dune. That's good info and what I was hoping to hear.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yeah, if you are in 4 lo you'll be golden. I used to use 4 lo when I had 3.73s. I don't recommend the 10k but if the tongue weight isn't excessive you should be good.

·
Premium Member
9,624 Posts
I would vote 4.88 also. I see less than 1 mpg difference between running 65 and 80 mpg. And it will run all day at 80 without issue.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Even though my Rubicon is a DD, I bought it for wheeling so I went with 4.88. From the original 4.10 to 4.88 gears I didn't notice any real change in mpg.

·
Registered
674 Posts
No doubt in my mind 4.88s.35s are a big tire.Ive been their and done that.Im sticking with 33s and I will do 4.56s.You really need to drive one with the gears you want,I know thats hard to do.Ive been lucky enough to do that.I can only speak for the manual tranny.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
go with 4.88's. i have 4.88's running my 37's and i wish i went with 5.13's. maybe when i get dana 60's....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts