Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago, I noticed the front axle seal was leaking on my wife’s 2013 JKU. Watched a couple videos and ordered the seals.

The axles had to be pulled out with a slide hammer and it took me hours to get the old seals out because they had what looked like seal savers. We bought this Jeep brand new and the front end was never touched. The sleeves that were on the axles stayed in the housing after I pulled the axles out. They had to be driven out the outer side of the housing and then the inner seals were driven back into the carrier housing.

So of course my new seals are totally different, but they are snug on the polished portion of the axles.

I’ve been trying to drive these seals in for hours and can not get them to go in straight to save my life. I think they are toast now.

So I’m going to have to put the Jeep back together with no front axles, seal the end of the housings and wait for new seals and the correct tool to install seals.

Has anyone else found two piece seals in your 2013 or newer? I don’t see this when I look up axle diagrams. Makes me wonder why the factory installed these???

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
There are two seal systems out there... a single piece seal system, and a two piece. I have a 2017 and mine are the two piece seals. I replaced with two piece as well.

The two piece system that you pulled out is better but the one piece system that you bought should work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I can say that removing the outer portion of the two piece seal is a major pain in the ass. The outer metal flange is basically the same diameter axle the axle housing and did not want to come out. I’m assuming when you install the 2 piece setup, you install the inners as normal and then the outers are put on the axle before you slide them in.

Going to hope that the 1 piece seals that I installed yesterday seal up. I had a hell of a time getting them in and square.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Thanks for the info. I can say that removing the outer portion of the two piece seal is a major pain in the ass. The outer metal flange is basically the same diameter axle the axle housing and did not want to come out. I’m assuming when you install the 2 piece setup, you install the inners as normal and then the outers are put on the axle before you slide them in.

Going to hope that the 1 piece seals that I installed yesterday seal up. I had a hell of a time getting them in and square.

Correct. You place the inner seal section on the shaft right where the thick part of the axle begins and it will push itself into the proper position as you install the axle.

The outer section of the 2 piece seal actually comes out pretty easy if you use a piece of 1/2" copper pipe and slide it down the axle housing. You use the copper pipe as kind of a long punch. The edge of the copper pipe catches the edge of the seal.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I used allthread, but you need to remove like Bob Sanders states. I did not drive the seals in but used that allthread and a bunch of washers and a disk out of a seal driver kit and pulled the seal into place through the axle tube. They make seal installers but they are really pricey. It is hard to describe how I did it but once you figure out a system it works really well.

FWIW, the double seal setup is supposed to be an improved product. The ones you have now are the old style. They still work but don't last as long.

I damaged several seals before I figured it out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just had a similar issue while re-gearing the front of my 2017 Sport's Dana 30.

To get the front seals out, I tried using a bunch of 1/2" & 3/8" extensions with a large socket on the end, through the axle tubes, to smack the seals out.
That didn't really work, and I resorted to using a small grinding wheel on my Dremel to weaken the metal seal, while being very careful not to go all the way through and grind the differential housing. A shallow X-shaped score helped free them.

Then I tried driving the new seals in similarly, with extensions through the tubes & differential housing, and a big socket on the end, trying to smack them in. That didn't work.
Then I tried using just the big socket on the seal and smacking in with a small hammer from within the diff housing. This only ever resulted in them going in cockeyed. So frustrating.

Then, I realized I had the perfect tool sitting right next to me from the re-gearing: a bearing race driver set (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DC31TB3). There was one which perfectly lined up with the lip of the seal and cleared the axle tube in the diff housing. They actually went in pretty easy using that.

I also looked up special inner seal installers, and they exist (ex https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078U9NNU).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts