Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got stuck in rain with freedom panels off. After cranking I noticed the blinkers, headlights, wipers front and back and horn and all steering wheel controls except cruise are NOT working. After checking the fuse box I discovered the M34 10 amp fuse was blown replaced that but still did not fix the issue.
Fuse description: M34 10 Amp Red Park Assist (PRK ASST), Heater Ventilation, Air Conditioning Module (HVAC MOD), Headlamp Wash (HDLP WASH), Compass (COMPAS)

These symptoms seem like a clock spring issue but sine the m34 was blown and it was on first crank after rain inside the vehicle I’m assuming there would be a different fix for this other than replacing the clock spring. I am currently unhooking the battery, zip tied the terminals together and leaving it overnight. After disconnecting the battery the first time, long enough to force a system shutdown, my compass does display direction. All the voice command/Bluetooth controls above the radio do also work.

I saw one post where a similar scenario was fixed by unhooking the compass module. No idea why. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did the interior get soaked? I would check any fuse remotely related to those items again and verify you got all the blown fuses on the first look. I've had them fail where you actually have to look pretty close to see the failure.

If they're fine, you can take the covers off the steering column and inspect the headlight/wiper stalks for melting/contact failure as well as do the same for the clockspring. The clockspring on the JKs is under an extended warranty because dust would get in there and wear away at the wiring and cause a short leading to the steering wheel controls, horn, air bags, and sometimes stability control not working. It's possible if your clockspring is original, it was already wearing wires and water got in there during the rain and caused a short.

I also have a '13 and had to have my clockspring replaced under warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts