Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 JKU sport S, no alpine system. Absolutely love the Jeep, absolutely hate the stereo. I was planning out doing rims and tires as my first mod (16s with 33s) but I cannot stand the stereo system, so this is first. I am trying to clarify what I need to do, I have been reading a ton of threads on replacing the speakers and adding a sub while keeping the factory headunit but still can't seem to grasp the whole process. I am under the impression that it should go something like this????

1. Use an output converter. (AC LC6i) Connect that from the wires in back of the headunit
2. Wire the converter to a new amp. If I want to power all new speakers, plus a sub is a 5 channel sufficient? Or should I get a mono to power the sub?
3. Wire amp to new speakers

I am going to be using Polk speakers, Polk 10" sub (have one laying around), not sure what amp yet.

Any help or guidance to other instructional threads would be greatly appreciated, when it comes to electrical/audio stuff I am lost.

Thanks!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just bought a 2013 JKU sport S, no alpine system. Absolutely love the Jeep, absolutely hate the stereo. I was planning out doing rims and tires as my first mod (16s with 33s) but I cannot stand the stereo system, so this is first. I am trying to clarify what I need to do, I have been reading a ton of threads on replacing the speakers and adding a sub while keeping the factory headunit but still can't seem to grasp the whole process. I am under the impression that it should go something like this????

1. Use an output converter. (AC LC6i) Connect that from the wires in back of the headunit
2. Wire the converter to a new amp. If I want to power all new speakers, plus a sub is a 5 channel sufficient? Or should I get a mono to power the sub?
3. Wire amp to new speakers

I am going to be using Polk speakers, Polk 10" sub (have one laying around), not sure what amp yet.

Any help or guidance to other instructional threads would be greatly appreciated, when it comes to electrical/audio stuff I am lost.

Thanks!
Check out this thread and see if it gives you any answers.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/2014-jku-with-stock-130-head-unit-amp-install-question-662761.html

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
What I did was that I realized that 50watts is not going to be enough power with an open vehicle like a Jeep with the possibility of removing the doors as well.

The general rule that I've heard, that seemed to make sense to me, is at least double the power, or 100watts.

So, yes, LOC, if your stereo doesn't have RCA's out. Unless, your amp accepts high level speaker outs.

5 Channel amp is good, and yes, it will power the 4 speakers plus the subwoofer.

But, with 100watts, Polks will likely not suffice. The speakers need to be 100wattsRMS. Then, with that much power, you'll want dual subwoofers.

This is the best setup, IMHO. This is the one that I have in my Wrangler.
Think Alpine PDX-V9, and build a system around it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ChasUGC,
That Alpine Looks awesome, however I am trying to spend around that price for my whole setup if possible. I don't need a crazy good sound system, however I do enjoy many genres from country to rap, and anything with bass sounds down right terrible in this thing. My speaker bar rattles like crazy. Pretty surprising when the 2002 Envoy I just sold to buy my new Jeep has a way better stock sound system in it. Anyways I dont mind it because I do enjoy car projects and am looking forward to building a system in my Jeep. So if you had around 600-700 to spend what would you choose?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Thanks ChasUGC,
That Alpine Looks awesome, however I am trying to spend around that price for my whole setup if possible. I don't need a crazy good sound system, however I do enjoy many genres from country to rap, and anything with bass sounds down right terrible in this thing. My speaker bar rattles like crazy. Pretty surprising when the 2002 Envoy I just sold to buy my new Jeep has a way better stock sound system in it. Anyways I dont mind it because I do enjoy car projects and am looking forward to building a system in my Jeep. So if you had around 600-700 to spend what would you choose?
I would save the money and do it right. Rims and tires are basically for looks. You will probably spend over $2000.00 for rims and tires. I guess it depends on your priorities and audio desire. With Rap, you are going to want 2-10" subwoofers, therefore requiring the Alpine PDX-V9. I tried going a little cheap myself, and I was very unhappy. I ended up spending more money fixing it, than I would have, if I had done it right to begin with. I would get the Alpine, speakers and the 2-10" subwoofer box, and the LOC, and determine your cost estimate. Factor in about $120 for a professional install. It will cost much less than rims and tires, which is basically just for looks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts