Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2013 Jeep JKU Rubicon 10th Anniv. with 60,000 mi.
I noticed a trend recently, when I'm in 4-W High and backing up where the wheel is turned all the way to one side or another, the Jeeps' steering seems to slip or JOLT. It happens in the winter when I engage the 4-Wheel drive High.

It only happens when I'm either pulling into a parking space or backing out of my driveway and seems to ONLY occur in 4-Wheel High/Low. my tires are 35" KO2 with 35 psi and it does have a MOPAR 2" lift with Fox Shocks. I added an Old man emu Steering stabilizer that I believe might be the problem too. I don't remember this happening before hand.

Please tell me what you would do in this situation? Do I need a new HD Tie Rod?
Control Arms?
High Steer stabilizer?

The list goes on but first I must figure out why this is happening. I think the gears are set right, just can't find the answer on my own. Please help.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Might be time to take into a shop that understands the suspension of the Wrangler, I would look the Pitman including the adjustment/loose track bar that the steering connects to. also, sounds like in when in 4 wheel additional forces are being put on the system so that is what is changing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be time to take into a shop that understands the suspension of the Wrangler, I would look the Pitman including the adjustment/loose track bar that the steering connects to. also, sounds like in when in 4 wheel additional forces are being put on the system so that is what is changing.
Any suggestions in your area or W. Lakewood? I'm new to Denver, not Colorado. Just don't know a ton of good Jeep shops outside of the Big 3.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Maybe I’m not fully understanding, but this sounds to me like there may be some binding because you are turned to full lock, in 4 wheel drive, and the surface is not allowing the tires to “slip” so you get crow hopping. Is the road dry when this happens or is it covered in snow or ice. To me this is expected behavior on a dry surface.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Maybe I’m not fully understanding, but this sounds to me like there may be some binding because you are turned to full lock, in 4 wheel drive, and the surface is not allowing the tires to “slip” so you get crow hopping. Is the road dry when this happens or is it covered in snow or ice. To me this is expected behavior on a dry surface.
Ditto sounds normally what one would expect

·
Retired Moderator
100,556 Posts
^^^BINGO..Normal..

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Registered
844 Posts
and to add to the other comments, if using on dry surfaces in 4X4, the tires can hop and grab that will cause an impulse to the steering wheel. If not doing it on snow or loose rock, that may be what your experiencing.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'm surprised you aren't feeling drivetrain binding when going forward either... Driving on solid surfaces is not good at all for the part time 4WD system the Wrangler is equipped with.

The text below is from page 461 of the 2016 Model Year Wrangler owner's manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sounds normal. I'd only use 4WD on paved roads when they are covered in snow/ice and 2WD isn't cutting it. Are you having traction issues in your driveway that are leading you to use 4WD to back out?

Reactions: Dunston540

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everything I reported is while driving on ICE/Snow or some debris. This is not me driving around Denver in 4WD-High. This is my trying to back out of my steep driveway when there is 2 feet of snow and feeling this ''popping/hopping'' sensation in the front wheel areas.

I've also notice the problem isn't as bad when I disengage the Traction control on the dash. IT seems to do better when it's NOT on.

I don't know why it's skipping around when there is snow/ice on the ground. I'll tell you that it doesn't feel normal and the way it jumps I don't have complete control of the Jeep. So my goal from this post was to get advice on what it could be or what could be the problem. I appreciate the ''don't drive on paved roads'' and keep the Jeep straight when in 4WD, but that's NOT what I'm talking about.

Ive heard everything from it's your Track Bar, Control arms, steering stabilizer. Lift, tires, ect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds normal. I'd only use 4WD on paved roads when they are covered in snow/ice and 2WD isn't cutting it. Are you having traction issues in your driveway that are leading you to use 4WD to back out?
Nailed it!

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Sorry for the confusion on my part. I had an issue when traction control was on in 4H and the rear sounded like it was going to explode. It turns out my calipers were siezed and not functioning. The traction control kept trying to use the rear brakes to control slip and the calipers were not having it. Any chance your front calipers may be going bad and causing some of this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts