Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just wondering what everyone else thinks about this one. Honestly if it goes on another week I am probably just going to call up the dealer and tell them im cancelling my order.

3 weeks ago on 10/1 the dealer called me to tell me my Jeep was in NJ (I live on Long Island NY) and they wanted to get it in for the last day of Q3 I guess for some kind of kickback so they wanted me to set up insurance for it that day. Real glad I told them no way as I would have been paying for insurance on a car for 3 weeks now I don't have. They tried to tell me the price would increase if I didn't but that's another story and I made sure it wasn't going to increase.

Anyway it is now 10/19 still no Jeep. I call the dealer 2-3 times a week. They never call me back, if I am lucky enough to get a hold of them I have been given what now seem like stories. My sales rep even told me it is not FedEx so we do not have exact dates on when these things will arrive. Which is understandable but I would think someone over there would be raising hell if they knew a car was built and in New Jersey and for whatever reason wasn't there 3 weeks later.

2 weeks ago they told me any day now just the NJ Distribution Plant has been backed up and there is a queue. Ok I was fine with that, but now arriving on the 3 week period and getting tired of a new story.

I called the I AM JEEP hotline and they told me its on hold waiting to be loaded on a train and that it is well past the ETA to arrive at dealer and they didn't know anything else. Basically they are useless since it is being waited to be loaded on a truck.

Anyway basically im scratching my head like what the hell. Ordered this jeep on 9/2 and that's not a rediculous wait (within 8 weeks for an order), but more or less just insanely pissed that 3 weeks ago now they called me and they are like its ready, had I just been finding out on insight I would have no bitch, but the fact that they told me youll have it anyday 3 weeks ago to get me to do the insurance thing and now here I am has me kind of livid.

I wouldn't be out any money if I cancel it and normally I would never even consider doing such a thing as I think I am pretty honest when it comes to monetary concerns and if I say I am going to do something I do it, but its bordering on a matter of principle and I might just make it there problem and wait a few months and either reorder the same somewhere else or see what the anniversary model is going to end up being. Anyway just wondering what everyone else would do. I am just fed up with this deal at this point. The part I am most fed up I just briefly touched on but the mere fact I never get a call back is disgusting.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If me dealer / sales person didn't call me back within a couple hours I would be pissed. There are so many dealers that would love my business. I would not ever be held at the mercy of a car dealer.

On the other hand, if it truly is stuck at the rail yard then there isn't much you can do. I have heard of dealers sending a private truck to pick up a vehicle but that might not be the situation.

If you just wait for the jeep to arrive then it could be another week or more. If you cancel your order it will be even more than that. I don't think the special edition will be anything more than Anvil colored with AEV bumpers.

Good luck and I feel for you. The waiting process sucks. I just went through it and seemed like the longest 6 weeks of my life.

But having this in my driveway is worth it!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
6,270 Posts
I tend to not at times think things through completely ( just look in my driveway). But I am also a stickler for communication, and the lack of would make me walk.
There could very well be several legit reasons your Jeep is held up, but a reasonable wait for a return call should be one day.
Playing the chasing and waiting game would make me wonder. Is this what the service department is going to be like when you have a problem with your Jeep.
At this point, I would wait it out since it is one State away. I hope you get your new toy soon. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Honestly man I feel your pain. I didn't go through as long of a wait but when I hit the 10 week mark I was upset. My dealer wasn't responding to me and I wanted to cancel and then it showed up! It's worth the wait.

If you have nothing to lose you could put some pressure on your dealer by telling them you are going lot shopping and if you find something you like before your order shows you are going that route.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
They should be able to go get it if it's at railyard waiting on a truck. My dealership says they've done it before, but it sounds like their lack of communication may be a barrier to that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response guys. I am fine with the waiting I have no problem with that. The complete and utter lack of getting any call back is whats pissing me off. Last week when I did get a hold of them because they answered and it didn't go to voicemail I then got a call from the finance manager, sent him my information via email so it would be set up when I was picking up the jeep and asked for a simple confirmation it was received via e-mail nothing, so i called a left a voicemail no response.

I have left a few voicemails the few times i've called (several days apart) with the sales person and nothing.

It just amazes me and the whole tactic with the insurance pissed me off especially when they said if you can't do it your Jeep will cost $500 more when it pulled in.

I got an amazing deal when purchasing it through no negotiation of my own so maybe they don't value my deal, but at the same time I just sent an e-mail said heres what I want what can you do and there first counter was the price I am buying at (below employee so I didn't even bother negotiating). But even if they aren't making much I still expect to be serviced its not like I made them take this deal.

My reasons for wanting to cancel have nothing to do with the Jeep at this point. It's more of just wanting to teach them a minor lesson for treating anyone this way. I have a business myself and while I don't amount to much of anything when it comes to Chrysler or Jeep company I certainly can't be bullied legally in anyway by this dealership as if they threaten me at all I can laugh it off and tell them try me.

Anyway just really really upset can't believe the way the whole thing has went down I think i'm a pretty reasonable person but just pretty mad at the way the whole thing has transpired don't really care about what has physically happened the wait really doesn't bug me the logistical stuff happens whatever it is (hell if they lost the jeep and were making a new one I wouldn't even care, just keep me in the loop).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Honestly I've been hauling cars for 17yrs and it is logistics. They won't load your Jeep on the truck until they have a full load going into your area and if it's NYC I guarantee they take it to drop yard where your dealer goes and pics it up. The only place car haulers take cars in the city is L.I and the boroughs. Otherwise we take them to a drop yard. I won't even go out there anymore cause of all the hassles involved. I stay in the midwest and everything is trucked to the dealer. If your car has been sitting for 3 weeks its mainly cause of the trucking company/yard boss. He won't ship your car until he has a full load.

Sorry to say it to you like that, but it's the reality of it. It probably got dropped in said yard when dealer called you now it's waiting to be brought to the dealer. Hope it all works out for you in the end as I experience it on both side when I buy, but usually being from Michigan I'm close to Toledo as well as Detroit so all my cars are usually at the dealer within a day or so of being built.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info its not that I don't believe that is exactly what is happening (I am on Long Island btw not in NYC, but obv have to go through NYC to get here). It's not the wait I understand logistics and its a necessary evil (I get a lot of freight shipments and the NYC destination surcharges drive me wild, but hey it is what it is and my overhead is disgusting compared to competition elsewhere, but hey I also get to fish in some of the best waters there are so I really can't complain). Anyway it's just much more that i've never gotten a call back from anyone at the dealership that has me pissed. I can't imagine treating any of my customers that way.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I would walk away. The fact that no one in the dealership is capable of returning a cll is a sure sign of how the dealership runs overall. Unless you plan on taking your Jeep to another dealership for servive I would have nothing to do with this dealership. IMHO

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do you think you could find anything similar on a lot in the area? I live in Nj and would probably travel an hour or two just because they had it in hand instead of guessing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
if your not comfortable w. the dealership you are buying through....find/order from another and move on w one that will treat you the way you feel you should be. There are so many out there, if you do buy from the current one....are you going to service through them, another major consideration, IMHO more so than the purchase!

·
Registered
100 Posts
So I was just wondering what everyone else thinks about this one. Honestly if it goes on another week I am probably just going to call up the dealer and tell them im cancelling my order.

3 weeks ago on 10/1 the dealer called me to tell me my Jeep was in NJ (I live on Long Island NY) and they wanted to get it in for the last day of Q3 I guess for some kind of kickback so they wanted me to set up insurance for it that day. Real glad I told them no way as I would have been paying for insurance on a car for 3 weeks now I don't have. They tried to tell me the price would increase if I didn't but that's another story and I made sure it wasn't going to increase.

Anyway it is now 10/19 still no Jeep. I call the dealer 2-3 times a week. They never call me back, if I am lucky enough to get a hold of them I have been given what now seem like stories. My sales rep even told me it is not FedEx so we do not have exact dates on when these things will arrive. Which is understandable but I would think someone over there would be raising hell if they knew a car was built and in New Jersey and for whatever reason wasn't there 3 weeks later.

2 weeks ago they told me any day now just the NJ Distribution Plant has been backed up and there is a queue. Ok I was fine with that, but now arriving on the 3 week period and getting tired of a new story.

I called the I AM JEEP hotline and they told me its on hold waiting to be loaded on a train and that it is well past the ETA to arrive at dealer and they didn't know anything else. Basically they are useless since it is being waited to be loaded on a truck.

Anyway basically im scratching my head like what the hell. Ordered this jeep on 9/2 and that's not a rediculous wait (within 8 weeks for an order), but more or less just insanely pissed that 3 weeks ago now they called me and they are like its ready, had I just been finding out on insight I would have no bitch, but the fact that they told me youll have it anyday 3 weeks ago to get me to do the insurance thing and now here I am has me kind of livid.

I wouldn't be out any money if I cancel it and normally I would never even consider doing such a thing as I think I am pretty honest when it comes to monetary concerns and if I say I am going to do something I do it, but its bordering on a matter of principle and I might just make it there problem and wait a few months and either reorder the same somewhere else or see what the anniversary model is going to end up being. Anyway just wondering what everyone else would do. I am just fed up with this deal at this point. The part I am most fed up I just briefly touched on but the mere fact I never get a call back is disgusting.
why not go to the yard, put dealer plates on the rig, start it up and drive it away - problem solved, the dealer would have to insure effective that day - once back at the dealer, inspect the vehicle usig the build sheet as a check list, make sure it's one piece, confirm that the heads are an AC buuild (as opposed to AB or AA), square away your financing with the bank, insure, inspect, register, run it through the car wash - take a pic, bang one of the bang sales girls and drive it home - just a thought

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Personally, I would order or buy from another dealer...especially if no deposit was paid. And I would not even call the original dealer. If they can't return your calls, why would you give them the courtesy of calling to cancel the order? I would just let their next call go to voice mail and never return it. If the Jeep ever arrives, let them sit on it for awhile before they realize you aren't going to take delivery.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Personally, I would order or buy from another dealer...especially if no deposit was paid. And I would not even call the original dealer. If they can't return your calls, why would you give them the courtesy of calling to cancel the order? I would just let their next call go to voice mail and never return it. If the Jeep ever arrives, let them sit on it for awhile before they realize you aren't going to take delivery.
^^^^^This^^^^^. If this is how the dealership is run BEFORE they get your $$, just think how they treat customers AFTER they have your $$. Look elsewhere. Too many other dealerships out there to put up with this treatment. I've been there. I've walked away, bought the vehicle I wanted somewhere else.....then drove it to the first dealership and showed the GM what his staff lost. Not only on that sale, but all future business and any friends and family that ask me. You can also contact Jeep, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would make one last call to the dealer telling them you are cancelling. If it's a voice mail all the better. Find a dealer you like and tell them exactly what you want. Even tell them which dealer to find it at when it arrives. Let them do a swap with the old dealer and still get the jeep you ordered.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah im probably going to give it another week. on the 4 week anniversary of it sitting in NJ I will just call them and tell them im cancelling. They actually have a $500 deposit but it is on Amex and I feel more then within my rights to file a dispute so not too worried about it.

And god no I am definitely not servicing at this dealership. They aren't that close to me I just bought here because of the price they e-mailed me back 7% below invoice. They don't have the best write ups on dealerratings.com, they tried to swindle me a few times when bringing back the order sheet for me to sign as items were left off and they tried to say oh well that wasn't in the price I quickly pulled out my iphone and showed them the e-mail. Basically I knew I was capable of dealing with a shitty dealership to start with so I went to them. This part is just baffling to me that 3 weeks later (after it made it to NJ) it has not been delivered. You'd think they'd want there money. Then again there probably losing money on it considering the 7% below and they won't make money until the end of 4Q so that may have something to do with this hole thing.

As I said before I could understand them being a pain about this if it was a long negotiating process and I was difficult to deal with but literally I e-mailed them what I wanted they responded with a price, there was no haggling whatsoever, so if they made a deal they are now unhappy with that isn't my fault. I lose money all of the time at my business and that doesn't effect how I treat that particular customer vs any other. That's on me not there fault.

Anyway probably giving it one more week not going to even bother calling and if by Monday the 29th I still haven't heard anything I am just going to call them and say enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Let me play devil's advocate without meaning to be rude: have you gone to the dealership and asked to speak to the sales manager or general manager? It's very easy to avoid a phone call or email, but it's about impossible to avoid someone who is looking you in the eye.

No, you shouldn't have to do that. But, if you really want the Jeep you ordered, why not?

Good luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I get a hold of them when I randomly call sometimes, but I never ever get call backs when there like i'll look into it and call you right back or if I leave a voicemail. But yes I have spoken to the new car sales manager. And getting through to him was a nightmare the operator plays offensive line.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for the info its not that I don't believe that is exactly what is happening (I am on Long Island btw not in NYC, but obv have to go through NYC to get here). It's not the wait I understand logistics and its a necessary evil (I get a lot of freight shipments and the NYC destination surcharges drive me wild, but hey it is what it is and my overhead is disgusting compared to competition elsewhere, but hey I also get to fish in some of the best waters there are so I really can't complain). Anyway it's just much more that i've never gotten a call back from anyone at the dealership that has me pissed. I can't imagine treating any of my customers that way.
If it's L.I it shouldn't be sitting in a drop yard unless Toledo is now railing Wranglers to L.I usually the island and boroughs get trucked direct. Only other thing I could come up with and I didn't want to post this, but it could've been damaged during transport and it's sitting in a body shop getting repaired. I hope in your case it's the logistics end.

Honestly after reading your last couple posts I would walk away take your deal you have in writing to a local to you dealer and see if they'll match it. You'll get better service from a dealer you buy from as well as IMO service before and after the sale. My dealer is 30 miles away but I bought from them because of the after the sale service.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys seems like something fishy to me. I know it does definetely get shipped via rail to the doremus jersey distribution center in newark, nj, so I really don't think that that is a lie. Would Chrysler really just repair a car thats damaged in transport? I can't imagine they would be that concerned with the bottom line it is probably such a rare occurence I would think it would be easier for them to just remake the car. A $32k wrangler to them is like a $100 part to me i'm sure.

It did definitely get railed to newark though back when insight was working I knew that much. I'll just bring someone with me with a good eye to look for any touch up marks if I do end up doing the deal. Thanks for putting that into my head honestly it hadn't even crossed my mind I was more convinced maybe they just lost the damn thing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts