Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of lifting my jeep a little (not too much) and was wondering what size lift I should go with and what size tires? Also, any opinions on bumpers or other upgrades?

This is my first Jeep and I am crazy excited about it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
slick looking jeep, I'm going 2.5 lift and 33''s when I wear out stock tires, no use in wasting good rubber

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im wasting good stocks.
I am picking up some 33's with 17" rugged ridge and a rubicon express 2 1/2 inch lift.
Anyone wanna set of 5 rubicon 2013 rims and bf mud's?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have the same one! Love it! You will be amazed at how much a stock Rubicon can do! I have modded the crap out of every vehicle I have owned and this is the first one that is stock (so far). I enjoy how it rides, no creaks or rattles and off-roads like a mofo the way it is. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
sgt93 said:
i have the same one! Love it! You will be amazed at how much a stock rubicon can do! I have modded the crap out of every vehicle i have owned and this is the first one that is stock (so far). I enjoy how it rides, no creaks or rattles and off-roads like a mofo the way it is. Enjoy.
x2

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Quite the first Jeep! Nice! Modifiying a Jeep is a slippery slope. It seems once you start, you never finish. My last Jeep was bought new in Nov of 1996 and just this week was replaced with a '13 JKUR. The TJ started with a mild lift and tires, but one thing led to another, some mods required other mods, parts broke on the trail and were upgraded, and before I knew what happened, I'd replaced just about the entire driveline and suspension a couple times.

I thought I was only going to "mildly" wheel my rig when I started... yeah right! You have a great base for wheelin' with the Rubicon, but from my over 30 years of wheelin' a Jeep, any Jeep, once you start to modify your rig, one thing leads to another. Don't forget about the law of diminishing returns that says, the more you spend, there comes a point that you get very little benefit. It doesn't matter if you have deep pockets, but if your Jeepin' budget is tight, think twice, spend once.

Everybody has an opinion about lifts, tires, strength, durability, and reliability. Upgrade parts like bumpers are such a personal choice that only you can decide, but you can sure see lots of of examples of what others have by looking through the photo section Pictures Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum

As for me, I've made my decisions and am well underway with my mods. I chose a 3" lift, 35" tires, and other mods based on what I know I will be subjecting the Jeep to. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! My jeep does looks great and I'm sure it performs well. I was thinking of adding some nfab nerf steps and am afraid that it will look to low to the ground! What do y'all think? If I went with a 2.5 rubicon express lift would that add on to my current lift or replace? If I went with 33" tires how wide could i go? I'm so new to this so bare with me.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Anything referred to as nerf bars will surely sit lower than they need. There are plenty of good rocker armor choices. If you feel like you need one with a step look at the poison spyder brawler rockers or the tntcustoms.com rockers as well. Look at the 2.5" kits from rock krawler, aev, or metalcloak. You'll either want new wheels, or will need spacers to keep the stockers once you are looking at larger and wider tires. I would highly recommend going straight to 35s and skip the 33s. 35x12.5 are common. An oft recommended "all around" tire is the goodyear duratrac for good onroad and decent offroad performance. Plus if you have joined tread lightly, then there is a rebate for them.

As stated, the bumpers are highly subjective and depend on what you need. There are stubby bumpers that offer more access for the tires when approaching something offroad up to large full size replacement with bull bars. Rear bumper you have just as many choices and largely depend again on what you want to do, and what you need. Integrated tow hitch? Carry larger tire? Open with gate? Etc.

I would suggest starting by researching your lift and you will stumble on many things from there. Start by searching something along the lines of "2.5 lift" and start reading. Figuring out what YOU want is part of the fun. IMO.

Have fun!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have the same one! Love it! You will be amazed at how much a stock Rubicon can do! I have modded the crap out of every vehicle I have owned and this is the first one that is stock (so far). I enjoy how it rides, no creaks or rattles and off-roads like a mofo the way it is. Enjoy.
Completely agree...........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts