Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Been reading these forums for awhile now and have been researching out the 2013 Jeep Rubicon. This is my first real post(other was for military picture contest) so please excuse the newb smell :).

I plan on getting a 2013 CG JKR. From looking at all the pictures that everyone has posted, I have come to the conclusion that black goes best with CG. I also don't know how I feel about the wheels that come stock on the Rubi. My question is has anyone painted there Rubi wheels black? Or are they much better looking in person? The idea being why new wheels when you can make the ones you have work.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Opinions are, as you expected, all over the place. I have a 2013 Rubi and I love the wheels. I think they look a little darker in person but they are still grey not black (most people shoot auto exposure on their cameras which will yield a medium grey by default).

Others say they look like cutlass and subaru wheels which I believe is a bad thing to them.

Don't know much about painting wheels but I don't see why these couldn't be painted. They have an unpainted flat section around every "spoke" that I think would make a black version of the wheel look nice.

·
Registered
199 Posts
To the question of why new wheels... Backspacing. If u put larger tires on, or think you might ever want to, and are unhappy with the looks of the stockers then u should get new wheels.

Keeping stockers and adding bigger tires means u must have spacers. While many feel spacers are safe. Most will agree that if you can avoid them u should.

Also good spacers will cost u the price of 1.5 wheels

·
Registered
115 Posts
I painted my 09 Rubi wheels black. Lasted through 3 years of wheeling, a winter in Ohio, and lots of road driving. The day I traded they looked as good as the day I painted them. I will be painting my 12s wheels when I get the time. I used high performance wheel paint from auto zone. Good prep work is key.

·
Registered
115 Posts
pat_smith1969 said:
To the question of why new wheels... Backspacing. If u put larger tires on, or think you might ever want to, and are unhappy with the looks of the stockers then u should get new wheels.

Keeping stockers and adding bigger tires means u must have spacers. While many feel spacers are safe. Most will agree that if you can avoid them u should.

Also good spacers will cost u the price of 1.5 wheels
I saw a picture a couple years ago of a Rubi that had spacers and had been rolled. One wheel literally had the center broken out. Spacers were still on and torqued to same spec as the day they were installed. The alloy wheel gave before the spacers did. That picture won my confidence for the quality, reliability, and safety of spacers.

·
Registered
860 Posts
If the part is on a Wrangler, someone here has plasti-dipped it. I am waiting for the thread on how to plasti-dip the windshield glass. ;)

I hated the the 13 JKR rims at first and really preferred the 12 rims...but after owning a JKR with them for several months, I have completely turned that around. I now vastly prefer them over the 12 rims. They just look more rugged to me...at least on my white JKR. Besides, the Cutlass rocked.

I suggest getting your JK and waiting a bit to see how you like them. You may end up wanting to change rims and tires down the road anyway.

·
Registered
793 Posts
both views....

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
The Moab has all black Rubi wheels as well. So you can see them there.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
The idea being why new wheels when you can make the ones you have work.
Backspacing.

The stock wheels have high backspacing, which pulls the tires in toward the jeep under the fender flares. This restricts you to using tires that are about the same width as the stock tires, because if your tires get much wider they will rub on some of the internal components. Because many jeepers want taller tires, and taller tires are also generally wider, the stock wheels are not a good choice unless you want to use wheel spacers.

Most aftermarket wheels have lower backspacing, meaning they push the tires out from under the fender flares and away from the jeep. This enables the easier use of bigger tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Backspacing.

The stock wheels have high backspacing, which pulls the tires in toward the jeep under the fender flares. This restricts you to using tires that are about the same width as the stock tires, because if your tires get much wider they will rub on some of the internal components. Because many jeepers want taller tires, and taller tires are also generally wider, the stock wheels are not a good choice.

Most aftermarket wheels have lower backspacing, meaning they push the tires out from under the fender flares and away from the jeep. This enables the easier use of bigger tires.
Hmmm...didn't know that. My plan(right now) is to run the current tires out then go from there so painting the wheels black will suit my purposes. Will be changing out tires and wheels when that time comes then. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I like my 2013 Rubi stock rims on he Gecko. When I first went to order the Rubi I liked the 2012 wheels better but the 2013 grew on me and I am very very happy with them.

·
Registered
793 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts