Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a bit frustrated that the premium soft top I had would not fold or stay folded like mopar or bestop show so I came up with my own solution. At first the times I folded the top I had to jam all the fabric into the trunk area instead of leaving it cleanly folded in the back due to wind catching it and rubbing it on my spare. Left a couple black tire rub marks in my top that I hope will fade with time.

I ended up seeing these straps at Home Depot. Flat 2 inch wide straps with Velcro loops to cinch them down. Out one each side just inboard of the windshield clasps. Cinched them down snug and then was able to use the included straps to anchor the whole top to the body.

And just for fun my new fly decimating device! 2ft of bug killing madness!

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Very interesting...

I run my velcro straps differently, but another set would not hurt.

That little loop on the upper bow...I run the strap through that and under the bottom bow. Still...I don't like how loose the top can get after doing 70mph on the interstate.

Oh...and I have one of these for flies!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I was a bit frustrated that the premium soft top I had would not fold or stay folded like mopar or bestop show so I came up with my own solution. At first the times I folded the top I had to jam all the fabric into the trunk area instead of leaving it cleanly folded in the back due to wind catching it and rubbing it on my spare. Left a couple black tire rub marks in my top that I hope will fade with time.

I ended up seeing these straps at Home Depot. Flat 2 inch wide straps with Velcro loops to cinch them down. Out one each side just inboard of the windshield clasps. Cinched them down snug and then was able to use the included straps to anchor the whole top to the body.
That looks like a huge improvement on the way it sits currently. Which section at HD did you find the straps?

·
Registered
121 Posts
That is a solution..... and cheap too - good work!

I use the RR soft top storage boot - keeps everything nice and tidy and keeps the damn latches from jiggling around and making noise. Those things rattling around back there drives me nuts.

Anyway, I can confirm that it will fit the premium soft top under it. The first time on was a real chore to get done and had to work it from side to side, push/pull on the top itself, and basically hang on the boot to get it on. But after leaving it on for about a week driving around, the next time it went on much easier.

Rugged Ridge 12104.51 - Rugged Ridge Soft Top Storage Boot in Black Diamond for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

·
Registered
88 Posts
Things That Make Noise @ Speed

I have noticed the passanger seat belt (Wrangler) slaps the side post a lot @ speed. i.e. 45mph+ Anyone have a good idea how to either stop this? i.e. bundge coord around the belt & side post didn't help. No latching the belt closed as if a person in the seat does not help either. & yes even if someone is in the passanger seat & seat belt latched it still slaps the side post.

I use the RR soft top storage boot - keeps everything nice and tidy and keeps the damn latches from jiggling around and making noise. Those things rattling around back there drives me nuts.

Anyway, I can confirm that it will fit the premium soft top under it. The first time on was a real chore to get done and had to work it from side to side, push/pull on the top itself, and basically hang on the boot to get it on. But after leaving it on for about a week driving around, the next time it went on much easier.

Rugged Ridge 12104.51 - Rugged Ridge Soft Top Storage Boot in Black Diamond for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

·
Registered
6,406 Posts

Good to know, thanks for this; I have one on order, supposed to be delivered today but won't get to test it until after this weekend.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have noticed the passanger seat belt (Wrangler) slaps the side post a lot @ speed. i.e. 45mph+ Anyone have a good idea how to either stop this? i.e. bundge coord around the belt & side post didn't help. No latching the belt closed as if a person in the seat does not help either. & yes even if someone is in the passanger seat & seat belt latched it still slaps the side post.
I read on here where someone put those wooly sheepskin wraps on the belt where it flaps between the pillar and the seat. That is next on my list of annoying noises that I plan to take care of. Hopefully I can find some in black, so it doesn't look too bad. With the doors off it's even worse, if you don't already know that.....

Update: Just saw this on Amazon - and it says Jeep on it. I'll jump for $15. And check out the third comment. It's someone talking about the seat belt flap on a JK......Classic.

http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Seat-Cover-Shoulder-Cushion/dp/B005BNG1U4/ref=zg_bs_318324011_8

·
Registered
666 Posts
I use the Smittybuilt boot. It's cheap. It works. If it breaks in a year, I'd have no problems buying another one. Boot goes on every time I put the top down :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I thought about securing it tighter, but one of my dogs likes the "cave" under the hard top. I don't think he'd enjoy it stored so neatly like you did. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
I read on here where someone put those wooly sheepskin wraps on the belt where it flaps between the pillar and the seat. That is next on my list of annoying noises that I plan to take care of. Hopefully I can find some in black, so it doesn't look too bad. With the doors off it's even worse, if you don't already know that.....

Update: Just saw this on Amazon - and it says Jeep on it. I'll jump for $15. And check out the third comment. It's someone talking about the seat belt flap on a JK......Classic.

Amazon.com: Jeep Seat Belt Cover Shoulder Pad Cushion (2 pcs): Automotive
They work great but I would buy cheap ones, you really never see them...at least on a 2 door. I went out and checked since I haven't ever noticed them and they have been on almost 2 years, you can see the edge but nothing else so go cheap and black.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thank you!!! Im buying a 2013 premium top tomorrow for my 12, i'll grab these tonight.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I thought about securing it tighter, but one of my dogs likes the "cave" under the hard top. I don't think he'd enjoy it stored so neatly like you did. :)
NOPE

The Smittybuilt does NOT fit the 2013 premium soft top.

I know QTec says it does. I ordered one...it didn't fit. When I called the rep told me he's asked them to change that online & in the catalog a hundred times.

They ended up sending FedEx to come pick it up and gave me full refund.

·
Registered
55 Posts

I have the elastic straps hooked up to roll up the back window. When the top is down I pull them up over the hook on the latch to hold it down. It's like it was made for it. I was so proud of myself...even got a "cool" from the wife who won't admit anything i do to the jeep is cool!:iamhappy:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yup, buy one of those seat belt shoulder pads and put it on the belt down by the door jam where it comes from. Problem solved!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Get the Velcro one straps from Home Depot to use for the seat belts. Works awesome!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was disappointed to find that the Rampage storage boot for the unlimited did not match the product image. I have a security deck that causes the soft top to sit higher from the tub channel. I'm not able to secure the ends of the boot.

I grabbed a tie down strap and wrapped it around the top to tighten it up. For the rear seatbelts, I bungee tied them to the bottom of the roll bar pulling them back around the rear seat.

Jason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts