Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many say not to get the 430 upgrade, but I like the hard drive, USB and Sirius options. If I opted to stick with the stock stereo, would there be an aftermarket that will work with steering wheel controls and is an easy install at a reasonable price?

Also, if I order the connectivity package with the base radio what really do you get?

Thanks,
MJK

·
Registered
293 Posts
MJK said:
I know many say not to get the 430 upgrade, but I like the hard drive, USB and Sirius options. If I opted to stick with the stock stereo, would there be an aftermarket that will work with steering wheel controls and is an easy install at a reasonable price?

Also, if I order the connectivity package with the base radio what really do you get?

Thanks,
MJK
Connectivity gets you the USB port, Bluetooth for both phone and streaming audio, EVIC. I have the base radio with Sirius and the connectivity package and think its fine.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
i ordered the cheapo radio then immediately upgraded to a pioneer 3400 touchscreen unit. All you need is an adaptor for the steering wheel controls. Having a backup camera rocks. I installed it all myself. Wasnt terribly hard but im an electrical guy.

·
Registered
848 Posts
+1 for the 3400. That's what I roll with now too along with the RF 300 watt mini amp under the dash.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have the 430 and am very happy with it. I love all the options and it's loud enough...for now. Just about every car I've had in the past I've replaced the head unit, speakers and added sub and amp. So, this one will do quite nicely for awhile until I get that urge again but that won't be for a few years.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Thanks,
MJK
Why not the 430N?? It has everything and works well.

Aftermarket is a tough installation and requires a lot of add on adapters to make everything work. (sometimes even modifying the dash brackets)

The only problem I've heard with the 430N is lack of on the fly voice navigation commands.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I passed on the 430N...mostly because I didn't want to pay that much for a touch screen system that I could not modify, nor did I really care for the nav. So I have the base 130 with Alpine and Connectivity. But if I find a 430 or 430N for cheap, I may consider it. Normally, aftermarket would be the way to go (best bang for your buck)...but a Wrangler isn't very secure...so that would worry me a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I passed on the 430N...mostly because I didn't want to pay that much for a touch screen system that I could not modify, nor did I really care for the nav. So I have the base 130 with Alpine and Connectivity. But if I find a 430 or 430N for cheap, I may consider it. Normally, aftermarket would be the way to go (best bang for your buck)...but a Wrangler isn't very secure...so that would worry me a bit.
How's the alpine any difference from just the regular stereo that comes in sport?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
How's the alpine any difference from just the regular stereo that comes in sport?
The Alpine (Infinty prior to 2013) option is the same head unit as the Sport. It just adds "better" speakers, and amp and a sub.

It is an option on the Sport, and standard on the Sahara/Rubi. But again, the head units are all the same.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 3400 looks pretty nice. Any pics of how it looks in the dash?
So you went with the backup camera option, what about Sirius r nav?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Just picked up a JKUR from the dealer lot. It came with the 430N even though I would have ordered a base radio...I am very happy with it so far. I really enjoy the voice recognition and the nav works well enough for me so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stock AM/FM CD Sirius Stereo

I have one for a JK, with the sirius antennae kit for sale. I upgraded my stereo in my 09. $150.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Sahara with the infiniti system. I just bought a pioner avh-p3400bh. I also go the mount and an Axxess chto-013 adapter. I don't have steering wheel controls.
I'm pretty sure I have everything wired correctly, but I'm getting no power to the unit. Please help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it possible to swap a leather steering wheel in a Sahara (2013) with Uconnect for a non-leather steering wheel from another Jeep without Uconnect and also without leather? I am a vegetarian and don't want leather but do want GPS/DVD/Mp3/etc.
At my wits end. Thank you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i hightly doubt any cows died for this leather steering wheel. it resembles plastic more than supple real leather. i would want the stock steering wheel over the "leather" one because the leather one makes a horrible noise while sliding hands over it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is it possible to swap a leather steering wheel in a Sahara (2013) with Uconnect for a non-leather steering wheel from another Jeep without Uconnect and also without leather? I am a vegetarian and don't want leather but do want GPS/DVD/Mp3/etc.
Are you serious?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I think the base Sports come without leather steering wheels...so I would think a swap could be made.

Good luck....

·
Registered
894 Posts
i hightly doubt any cows died for this leather steering wheel. it resembles plastic more than supple real leather. i would want the stock steering wheel over the "leather" one because the leather one makes a horrible noise while sliding hands over it.
I assume you did not get leather seats.... :D

In any case a new HU only requires a PAC-Audio or Metra (or other) harness to get switched/constant power and retain the RAP features (key out with power). Then a SWI (Steering Wheel Integration) unit to retain steering wheel functions. Not that hard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In any case a new HU only requires a PAC-Audio or Metra (or other) harness to get switched/constant power and retain the RAP features (key out with power). Then a SWI (Steering Wheel Integration) unit to retain steering wheel functions. Not that hard.
Is this something a dealership should be able to do? Their service department is telling the sales team that they can't do it. So I need a harness and SWI unit ? How do I go about researching this? I have emailed Metro and some other harness companies asking for advice. Not sure what/who I ask about the SWI.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts