Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not expecting to here a lot of love for the Subaru but I'd like to hear from those who have have had a Subaru and a Jeep Wrangler that could share the pros and cons of each machine.

While the XV won't be released until fall it's just an Impreza with higher ground clearance 8.7 inches to be exact.

Both start at 22K.
About me 29,dude, no kids, no wife, salt lake city in the summer, alta in the winter,
Intended usage: To and from work, in the winter I work at Alta Ski resort so driving in bad weather (snow,rain,ice), weekend warrior camping, canyoneering, and climbing trips.

High ground clearance is a must I currently own a subcompact and am restricted when roads get washed out

Really love the new 2D wranglers but my biggest concerns are it's lack of cargo, bad weather handling, and how much more will it cost to own over a subaru.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Subaru XV Crosstrek off road course
2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek vs Land Rover Defender - YouTube

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
You can't even begin to compare the two.

On a side note, the XV wheels look a lot like the 2013 Rubi wheels.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
OK...I'll bite.

I have a 2005 Outback that I'm driving now, first non Jeep Wrangler/CJ I have ever daily driven (53 CJ3B, 79 CJ7, 89YJ, 01TJ, 07JKU). Passed down from wife after she got new car and we tightened our finances (sold my 2007 4 door).

Pros:
Quiet - I can hear passengers and radio.
Rides great - my back and kidneys thank me.
Heated Seats - On those bitter NY mornings
Can reach the roof - easy to throw bike and kayak on top to strap down
Maintenance - 80K and I've put brakes and tires on. That's it.

Cons:
It's not a Jeep, a panoramic sunroof does not make a top down doors off experience.
My golf buddies make fun of me for driving the family wagon.

I've driven the Subaru for 2 1/2 years now and tho I really like the car it is just not a Jeep. A 2013 Commando JKU Rubicon is in my future as soon as ordering starts. Back to driving what I really enjoy.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
:rofl: that was awesome. Did you do that on purpose?
:rofl:
Didn't mean too...I didn't even notice my complete contradiction until you pointed it out. :redface:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do u want a car that u would feel comfortable going of the "beaten path" or an offroad vehicle u can use as a car? That is the question u have to answer for yourself. It sounds from your description of uses, that the jeep would be more suited to your needs as it is ultimately the more versatile of the two...for what u want. The biggest issue with the rue is the water fording u seem to be concerned with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Might want to look into an Unlimited. If you want any kind of cargo space in the 2dr either remove the seat or fold it forward. If you have people in it then forget luggage unless you have a roof rack or hitch basket. Love my 2dr, but wish it had a longer wheelbase.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I'll give the OP credit.... He at least knows what he "wants and needs" in a vehicle.

Better to ask questions now, then to complain later about how the +$30 2 door Rubi he purchased leaks at times, lacks cargo room, rides like....a truck, and does not get that great of gas mileage....only to be told later that maybe a Wrangler isn't for him.

After a year of searching and researching, I'm come the conclusion that you simply have to accept the good with the bad with a Wrangler....or have a 2nd vehicle.

It is up to the individual to decide of the good outweighs the bad in their particular situation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
At 29 and no family get a jeep and enjoy it. Not gonna poke fun at you because I considered a Subaru WRX for a while but for me down in the deep south there is a lack of good roads to really justify a car like that. Plus once you drive jeep with the top down and doors off you will be sold.

·
Registered
218 Posts
29, dude, no kids and no wife. And you want to drive the official car of the LPGA? No just no. If nothing more than to keep your man card, get the Jeep.

a guy that's worried about the status of his "man card" should be driving the official car of the LPGA.

and if you've ever spent any time in UT or CO, you know that subarus are everywhere driven by everone.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.