Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
Bad weather handling? Are you serious? You would never be stuck in the wrangler.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
tvrbob said:
Either you misunderstood the question, or that's a really dumb answer. The issue is how well the car/Jeep handles in bad weather, not how well the car/Jeep handles bad weather.

What would I rather have for my 5-mile commute in a blizzard? Wrangler, no question. What would I rather have for a 50-mile highway drive with a few inches of snow and possibly ice? Subaru XV; again, no question.

Of course, most Jeep owners on this forum are going to come down on the side of the Wrangler. That's natural. But there's no reason to be foolish while doing so.
No, you misunderstood my answer, but I won't call you a name. It's quite obvious.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
I might be ignorant. I've never driven a Subaru or anything with AWD. But, what makes the Subaru that much better for a 50 mile highway drive with a few inches of snow and possibly ice?

Don't take this as an attack or me questioning your intelligence. I honestly don't know.
You can just go way faster, and probably a smoother ride.
In other words, nothing makes the Subaru better for "a 50 mile highway drive with a few inches of snow and possibly ice."

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
Tires withstanding, a good AWD system in "regular" winter driving is >>>>>> than a RWD Wrangler.

Clearly is you are driving through a blizzard, or just had a foot of snow dumped on you and the street have not been plowed, the Wrangler will win. But if we are talking your typical December through February that has patchy ice, sleet, and slick but salted streets.....AWD is a better system as it is basically like having a limited slip differential at every wheel.

Basically, if the roads are not bad enough to be in 4WD, than AWD is better.
That is an inaccurate statement. AWD and 4WD are synonymous terms. AWD is usually used in reference to systems with a center differential and can be used full time. That does not mean they have LSD. AWD does not mean full power to all wheels. It is still one drive wheel on each axle unless they are locked or have LSD.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
Make up your mind. Are they synonymous or not?
My mind is made up. Read it carefully. They are synonymous terms, however they are commonly used differently.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
In other words, they are not synonymous.
I love a good debate as much as anyone, but you're being a bit ridiculous here. Did you read the definition you just linked to?

having the character of a synonym; also : alike in meaning or significance

The two terms are alike in meaning and significance, therefore they are synonymous. The two terms are often used differently by auto makers. AWD usually refers to a center differential system THAT IS STILL FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. Get it? :facepalm:

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
Thank you.

Are the automakers wrong, or are you wrong?
That they are used differently does not change the FACT that they are synonymous. You truly are in a state of bliss today!

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
Of course, it does. AWD and 4WD have very specific and different meanings. Your insistence to the contrary does not change that.
AWD = All Wheel Drive 4WD = Four Wheel Drive. Unless your vehicle has more then 4 wheels, they are the same.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
I agree, AWD does not always mean limited slip at every corner, but for this discussion, I was using the term "good" AWD....which is what the Subaru's Symmetrical system is...as well as Acura's SH-AWD.

Here is a pretty good video of Subaru vs Honda, Toyota, Ford, and Nissan.
All-Wheel Drive | Subaru AWD
I would love to see a real explanation of that system. The videos make it seem like it's magic.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
panthermark said:
Subaru has one of the best AWD systems out there....it does look like magic...probably because it is one of the few AWD systems that actually works. :)

Here is an even longer video that test both FWD and AWD modes.
Subaru US - All-Wheel Drive demonstration video - YouTube

I'm wondering if their extensive experience in rally car has helped as well.
That's not what I'm looking for. Im looking for an engineering explanations not a marketing one.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
panthermark said:
No I don't, but I wish I did. It would be nice to see how effective the standard BLD and optional LSD (on non Rubi's) really are.
Extremely.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
Off road: hands down it's the Wrangler.

Icy snowy cold weather and treacherous roads.. you're talking a different ballgame. The Wrangler has solid axles. Solid axles decrease ground clearance. Your pumpkins will be pushing snow. The windshield wipers sit too low on the windshield due to the fold-down function, so your wipers will freeze over and be rendered useless faster. The handling is also not as crisp in a Wrangler, so slippery roads will be more dangerous. The soft top is going to be flopping around and it'll take a little longer to warm up the cabin. The hard top is going to be more sensitive to cold weather contraction and may be more prone to leak and make noise. Honestly, the Wrangler is not the ideal winter vehicle. A vehicle such as a Subaru that is purpose built for foul weather will be a better choice if that is your concern.

Wranglers are better at a LOT of things. Snowy icy cold weather ain't one of them.
Are you seriously saying that the Subaru has better ground clearance?

As far as the rest, speaking from experience, I disagree.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
This thread is funny. You guys are fighting about two different things. The AWD/4WD system itself and the vehicle itself. The Wrangler has a number of things where it is superior to the Subaru. However, in ANY condition, the Subaru system is superior to a Wrangler. Now, we can argue until we are blue in the face, and since there is no Wrangler with a Subaru AWD system, we can't test them side by side. A Wrangler with Subaru AWD would outperform a Wrangler with the Rubicon drive system in any condition.
Any condition? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Holy crap! Here I thought the 26" tire thing was funny. You're killing me! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
Now let's see how the XV handles a bit of an incline:

XV-OF OFFROAD.MOD - YouTube

Ooops, maybe they just ran out of tape and it wasn't really stuck. I say we give it the benefit of the doubt. Sure looks stuck though, but that's just me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.