Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
You can't even begin to compare the two.

On a side note, the XV wheels look a lot like the 2013 Rubi wheels.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
:rofl: that was awesome. Did you do that on purpose?
:rofl:
Didn't mean too...I didn't even notice my complete contradiction until you pointed it out. :redface:

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I'll give the OP credit.... He at least knows what he "wants and needs" in a vehicle.

Better to ask questions now, then to complain later about how the +$30 2 door Rubi he purchased leaks at times, lacks cargo room, rides like....a truck, and does not get that great of gas mileage....only to be told later that maybe a Wrangler isn't for him.

After a year of searching and researching, I'm come the conclusion that you simply have to accept the good with the bad with a Wrangler....or have a 2nd vehicle.

It is up to the individual to decide of the good outweighs the bad in their particular situation.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I might be ignorant. I've never driven a Subaru or anything with AWD. But, what makes the Subaru that much better for a 50 mile highway drive with a few inches of snow and possibly ice?

Don't take this as an attack or me questioning your intelligence. I honestly don't know.
Tires withstanding, a good AWD system in "regular" winter driving is >>>>>> than a RWD Wrangler.

Clearly is you are driving through a blizzard, or just had a foot of snow dumped on you and the street have not been plowed, the Wrangler will win. But if we are talking your typical December through February that has patchy ice, sleet, and slick but salted streets.....AWD is a better system as it is basically like having a limited slip differential at every wheel.

Basically, if the roads are not bad enough to be in 4WD, than AWD is better.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
That is an inaccurate statement. AWD and 4WD are synonymous terms. AWD is usually used in reference to systems with a center differential and can be used full time. That does not mean they have LSD. AWD does not mean full power to all wheels. It is still one drive wheel on each axle unless they are locked or have LSD.

I agree, AWD does not always mean limited slip at every corner, but for this discussion, I was using the term "good" AWD....which is what the Subaru's Symmetrical system is...as well as Acura's SH-AWD.

Here is a pretty good video of Subaru vs Honda, Toyota, Ford, and Nissan.
All-Wheel Drive | Subaru AWD

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Obviously driving at a safe speed is key. But it isn't just straight line driving...it is sitting in the left turning lane on a green light and waiting for an opening to make your turn in slushy weather. Or sitting at a stop sign on an incline and trying to accelerate or make a right turn on a slick road. Same for entering or exiting a slick on/off ramp.

In the end, it is probably 95% driver skill anyway.

I made it almost 10 years with my little 5 speed stick, no-limited slip, FWD Integra in Iowa and Illinois winters. At no time was I ever stuck.

OP...get what you like, what fits, and what you can afford.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I would love to see a real explanation of that system. The videos make it seem like it's magic.
Subaru has one of the best AWD systems out there....it does look like magic...probably because it is one of the few AWD systems that actually works. :)

Here is an even longer video that test both FWD and AWD modes.
Subaru US - All-Wheel Drive demonstration video - YouTube

I'm wondering if their extensive experience in rally car has helped as well.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
pantermark do you have a jeep doing that ramp test? Do you think a jeep wrangler sport could do it with open diffs 4wd high?
No I don't, but I wish I did. It would be nice to see how effective the standard BLD and optional LSD (on non Rubi's) really are.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I've only driven a Subaru once.....a 4 banger (non-turbo) stick in the Boulder/Denver area many years ago. Great car....but that one was under powered, and the clutch was straight out of a Mack truck or something.

I like Sabarus. I think a Sabaru and a Jeep make a nice "pair" of vehicles for a family.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Soooo....OP.....what did they say about Wranglers on the Subi forum?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.