Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Yes, I have a friend who beat a Shelby 500 on an autocross course with his V6 Mustang. It doesn't mean the V6 is superior.
As an owner of a pullied/tuned GT500, this is an easy possibility if the autocrossed GT500 in question was being ham-fisted (and footed) through the course....

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You'll have to get past my LJ. :thumb:
Every time I see one I wonder if I made the right call getting a two-door JK. I don't want a 4-door, but mine is just a *little* small ...

There's a question for the OP. Ever considered an older Jeep? You could get into a TJ or LJ and get back out of it without a ton of depreciation if it's not your bag. Just a thought. I love love love my JK but I always do look at TJ's and think they look a little cooler. Sorry, I know I just said that in the JK forum.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Every time I see one I wonder if I made the right call getting a two-door JK. I don't want a 4-door, but mine is just a *little* small ...
Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing getting a 4 door. I love the turning radius and size of the 2 door, but alas my 15 month old son just wouldn't have enough room.:cool:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing getting a 4 door. I love the turning radius and size of the 2 door, but alas my 15 month old son just wouldn't have enough room.:cool:
Yeah sometimes I wonder if I'm going to wind up staring at an EPT one day and looking at my 2 door going "uh-oh ..."

·
Premium Member
7,102 Posts
As an owner of a pullied/tuned GT500, this is an easy possibility if the autocrossed GT500 in question was being ham-fisted (and footed) through the course....
Power means nothing in AutoX. A miata or an elise will walk a GT500 all day. The suspension, chassis, and weight are what make a really good autox car, so if the V6 mustang spent all his money on the suspension, and the GT500 spent it all on the motor, the V6 will win. BTW, I am getting a new GT500 sometime next year, so I am definitely not bashing on it.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I've been off this thread for a few days; doesn't sound like the same planet.

Per the OP description of needs, now vs the turboecabulated Phantom Stealth vehicles described above, I've lost track of whether to comment, ignore or flee.

The Wrangler in ways serves a role rather like a Swiss Army Knife....it is really good at a few things, and can do some other stuff, but if you insist on flat-out anything specialized in the cutting world, there's other choices to consider.

Just today in Sahara I hauled firewood in the cargo bay, into a tight fit in my wood shed. I towed a trailer of yard debris around the estate. I drove around the village and waived at the girls. I went to the store, and I had a ton of fun off the pavement for about 20 minutes before home chores again beckoned. I took the top panels off to revel in the FINALLY sunny day. I showed my sweet bride how to hook up the M100 military trailer. None of the events were earth shaking, and probably nearly any of them could have been done at least with a Subaru or many others. Except the Wrangler serves all those purposes en bloc better than any other rig I know about.

Good luck on the OP decision.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
From Subaru's website:
"
2.5-liter Turbocharged Flat-4

Available in 227, 265, and 305-horsepower versions, this turbocharged, intercooled 4-cylinder engine provides maximum power for exhilarating performance."
From the motor trend report on the Ferrari 2009:

"Ferrari V8: Power(SAE): 490 hp @ 8,500 rpm; 343 ft lb of torque @ 5,250 rpm

Yeah, sorry should have investigated first? :rofl: Also look up Ford GT40 vs WRX STI online, amazing video- the wrx gets spanked. Sorry, maybe for rally car racing, the WRX is a great competitor, but not for outright racing. Maybe read my comments before getting too defensive there chief. Geez you subaru guys are sensitive!!:rolleyes:
Wow, what amazing info you've discovered! :facepalm: Do you think we didn't all know a Ferrari is making SUBSTANTIALLY MORE power than the best Subaru has to offer? :rolleyes:

Did that GT40 cream that STi on a tight track? I DOUBT IT. Thanks for failing. :thumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow, what amazing info you've discovered! :facepalm: Do you think we didn't all know a Ferrari is making SUBSTANTIALLY MORE power than the best Subaru has to offer? :rolleyes:

Did that GT40 cream that STi on a tight track? I DOUBT IT. Thanks for failing. :thumb:
Wow, sensitive fella. You state that the subie's motor DOES make the ferrari engine look weak in race tracks and tight twisties. It will never make the engine seem weak, it may do better in weaving and have a more tuned suspension/steering combination that will make it a great racer, but it will not outperform the ferrari's motor. I state that the WRX is a great competitor for rally car racing, but outright (implying straight) racing it will not do well.
The GT40 creamed the wrx in a straight-away race. I did not claim otherwise. How about you cut it out with the whole insults garbage and try to have a polite discussion. You already practically jumped down someone's else throat for taking one of his comments the wrong way. Dear lord.
So to summarize what the subie supporters are saying, these vehicles have the potential to spank 100K race cars while at the same time beating our wranglers in bad weather conditions and hell, they can even do some "mad" offroading... Some big shoes to fill.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Wow, sensitive fella. You state that the subie's motor DOES make the ferrari engine look weak in race tracks and tight twisties. It will never make the engine seem weak, it may do better in weaving and have a more tuned suspension/steering combination that will make it a great racer, but it will not outperform the ferrari's motor. I state that the WRX is a great competitor for rally car racing, but outright (implying straight) racing it will not do well.
The GT40 creamed the wrx in a straight-away race. I did not claim otherwise. How about you cut it out with the whole insults garbage and try to have a polite discussion. You already practically jumped down someone's else throat for taking one of his comments the wrong way. Dear lord.
So to summarize what the subie supporters are saying, these vehicles have the potential to spank 100K race cars while at the same time beating our wranglers in bad weather conditions and hell, they can even do some "mad" offroading... Some big shoes to fill.
Ummm, no. You're way wrong as to what I ever said, and even more wrong about me being sensitive or upset.

Subarus doing "mad" offroading? I've seen no such comment from anyone.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Look, I'm the biggest Subaru cheerleader this forum's ever seen
I will agree with you on this one. If you really love subies, that's great. I love fords, but I can admit some limitations and failures on their behalf. I'll cut through some of this passive-aggressive crap going on and say I'm glad you made through in one piece on that accident, those pics did look horrendous. I can understand why you would have a profound appreciation of the subaru brand. I just get frustrated when things are misrepresented and...YES, I have actually had a great deal of experience driving with subarus, albeit never a WRX, a forester actually.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah, they do make them look weak, mainly on a race track or in tight twisties. About 3 years ago I found myself behind a Ferrari F430 on some pretty tight roads and while he would make up some ground in straight sections, he wasn't able to shake me in the twisties./QUOTE]
There's one.....

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's what the jerk who hit us did. I guess you didn't see the photo of the rear of the car, and then the front. Any idiot (well, apparently not all of them...) looking at the photos could add 2+2 and figure it out.

We were hit at nearly 60 mph while we were at about a 5 mph roll while slowing down for stopped traffic. The vehicle in front of us was about 30 feet in front of us, so that should give you the idea of the magnitude of the hit. We were pushed into it.

Next time, get your facts straight before you start pointing fingers at people and calling them idiots.
Oh no, not over-reacting at all there...

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Oh no, not over-reacting at all there...
And it was a simple misunderstanding. How would you have perceived the message, had it been directed towards you?

Ah, that's right...

And as for STis on tracks, I've seen STis beat Ferraris on tracks before. It's not as uncommon as you may think it is.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Thanks for the input everyone it's been a good debate.

I think we can conclude a Subaru is a great car that handles great in poor weather and with the higher ground clearance it will be able to go a little bit off the beaten path road wise. Don't get a CVT. It's pretty good on gas and would get me from point a to b in most places.

Jeep wrangler is an a great truck that can handle poor weather fine too with maybe a little more driver input required, can go off-road, tow, and is fun to drive, it will never get as good mpg as a car.

I'm going to get a Jeep. I'm sure when I need to be more practical and drive more miles on the road a subaru will make a lot of sense for me but for me right now it's time to have fun!

I should go used but the new engine and trans is so nice... I've been looking at used Jk's and they hold their values.

I'

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone it's been a good debate.

I think we can conclude a Subaru is a great car that handles great in poor weather and with the higher ground clearance it will be able to go a little bit off the beaten path road wise. Don't get a CVT. It's pretty good on gas and would get me from point a to b in most places.

Jeep wrangler is an a great truck that can handle poor weather fine too with maybe a little more driver input required, can go off-road, tow, and is fun to drive, it will never get as good mpg as a car.

I'm going to get a Jeep. I'm sure when I need to be more practical and drive more miles on the road a subaru will make a lot of sense for me but for me right now it's time to have fun!

I should go used but the new engine and trans is so nice... I've been looking at used Jk's and they hold their values.

I'
Congratulations man!!!!! Hope you enjoy your new (or used???) ride. The new tranny is sweet and makes driving a true pleasure. You'll love it and I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well it does in bad conditions.:thumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
And it was a simple misunderstanding. How would you have perceived the message, had it been directed towards you?

Ah, that's right...

And as for STis on tracks, I've seen STis beat Ferraris on tracks before. It's not as uncommon as you may think it is.

Relax there partner. I think I'll just quit now before you get more offended. I don't much care for b!tch out sessions on the web. I don't agree but I am over it.

201 - 220 of 220 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.