Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Subaru's are nice cars. You see lots of them (and Jeeps) all over Colorado, and I have a high opinion of them as far as bad weather cars go. If my 84 year old Grandma moved to Colorado and somehow got a license again, I'd put her in a Subaru. *I* wouldn't drive one unless it was a beater (and I'd rather find an old XJ to for that).

And I'm 30 with a 7-year old son.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks, I like the quote misturg. I guess that's what it really comes down to. The part about bad weather handling is I've been told that full time AWD handles better in snow and ice. I'm not sure how true this is or not but I've read that shorter wheel base of the Wrangler can be squirly? Maybe it all comes down to having snow/ice tires though? I'm def leaning toward the Jeep I think I would have more fun which is what driving should be about... just trying to be logical about it...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Not sure why you would even consider them as a comparison. If anything maybe the Subaru compared to a Grand Cherokee but not even close to being the same vehicle to a Wrangler

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks, I like the quote misturg. I guess that's what it really comes down to. The part about bad weather handling is I've been told that full time AWD handles better in snow and ice. I'm not sure how true this is or not but I've read that shorter wheel base of the Wrangler can be squirly? Maybe it all comes down to having snow/ice tires though? I'm def leaning toward the Jeep I think I would have more fun which is what driving should be about... just trying to be logical about it...
Snow/ice tires make more of a difference than AWD. All things equal (both with winter tires) the Subie will probably do better on the highway. And winter tires for the Subie would probably be cheaper too. Also easier to put a ski rack on the Subie and would get better mpg than the Wrangler.

If you want a commuter car that can easily deal with snowy Roads and you will not very often take on dirt Roads, the Subie would fit the bill.

If you want a Jeep, get the Wrangler and put Duratracs on it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You've been "told" correctly. Jeeps suck in bad weather and are horrible in snow and ice that's why I have a YJ and a JK :rolleyes:. Sounds like the Subaru is for you. Just add a few earth friendly bumper stickers and you'll be good to go. I give you credit for asking though. As an aside, nothing works on ice.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I was amazed at the AWD stuck as I was passing them in my Wrangler last winter and that was with MT/R's. Haven't seen how the Duratracs will handle snow yet. My Jeep was so bad in the snow, all I could use it for was to pull others out.

I wish I remembered were that video was someone posted last year of a 4X4 truck trying to get out of the driveway with no luck and all of a sudden you see a wrangler coming around the corner of the house through the snow bank and hitting the road and gone while the Truck was still trying to move.

·
Jeeper
1,282 Posts
Found some extreme suby wheeling. Most exciting part is 0.36 :

That is what a serious lack of flex will do for you :facepalm:

To the OP, you are asking about an AWD vehicle that is a jack of all trades, master of none VS a true 4WD vehicle that does good enough on road, and masters anything off the pavement. Most Jeeps are fairly cheap to work on, a Subaru, not so much....

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,294 Posts
I was amazed at the AWD stuck as I was passing them in my Wrangler last winter and that was with MT/R's. Haven't seen how the Duratracs will handle snow yet. My Jeep was so bad in the snow, all I could use it for was to pull others out.

I wish I remembered were that video was someone posted last year of a 4X4 truck trying to get out of the driveway with no luck and all of a sudden you see a wrangler coming around the corner of the house through the snow bank and hitting the road and gone while the Truck was still trying to move.
Here ya go. :thumb:

Why Jeeps are Better - YouTube

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was in your exact same shoes a couple months ago. However, it was between the new XV or an older 05/06 TJ Rubicon with the 6speed manual. I've been a Subaru owner for the last 10 years owning several different models (mainly wagons for the cargo room and "sleeper" look) and my parents have owned Subaru's since 1993 or 1994. While all of them were lightly modified and for street use, it wasn't until my last two Subaru's that I really grew to love off-roading... well technically rallycross and then off-roading. I had a 96 Impreza Coupe that I rallycrossed and did quite well with. From there, I moved onto a 99 OBS that I lifted 1.5-2" and put a massive skid plate on along with a few other off-roading mods. While it did semi-okie in rallycross, it didn't perform how I wanted it to. At the same time, a lot of my buddies got into off-roading and well... I went that direction. I started researching lift kits/mods for more ground clearance in the Subaru and came to the Forester lift (which is basically what the XV is) along with light off-road truck tires. With that setup, you'd average around 4-6 inches of lift. Then came the announcement of the new Subaru XV and my decision to either save my ducketts for that, buy the mods to lift my older Subaru more, or find a whole different vehicle. Subaru announced that it would not be bringing the flat 4 cylinder diesel motor with the 6-speed option over to the US. Well there went that option. After making the decision I wanted more ground clearance and something more geared towards off-roading (don't get me wrong, the Subaru surprised quite a few off-roaders and held its own for what it was) I started looking around and reading reviews. I test drove the Toyota FJ off-road edition, Toyota Tacoma off-road edition, and the Wrangler Rubicon... I instantly feel in love with the Wrangler. While the gas mileage is poor in the Wrangler, (Subaru averaged about 27 mpg (XV is rumored for 30-40 mpg if I remember right)... I now get 13-15 mpg) it puts a smile on my face every time I get into it and can't wait to drive it. Do I miss the Subaru? You bet! I miss the cargo room of the wagon, I miss the AWD, I miss the gas mileage, I miss the sound of the flat four with exhaust, I miss the awesome handling, but everytime I hop into the Jeep with the top off, the windows out, and the doors off that all goes away and the biggest smile appears on my face (I feel like I'm a little kid at Christmas time). I mean what other vehicle do you know of that can purposely have the doors removed, the top removed, and the windows removed?!?! I know you mentioned you're a smidge worried about the handling in winter with the Wrangler compared to the XV. While Subaru is well known for their AWD, the Wrangler does quite well in the snow in 2wd and does even better in 4wd high... pretty much if you point it in that direction you'll go that direction. Cargo room wise... well... you just have to get creative in the 2 door Wrangler or buy the Unlimited.

I have no doubt you'll love the Wrangler and once you own one, you'll always own one. Good luck on your decision!

JW

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll bite too...

It really does just depend on the overall expected usage.

I never owned an Impreza, but did recently own both a current gen Forester and current gen Outback. The Forester traded for the Outback, and the Outback was traded for our JKU.

Why? Cargo space, versatility, manual transmission with 4WD. And we love it.

The XV Crosstrek is basically an Impreza wagon with jacked up suspension (It replaces the somewhat misnamed 'Outback Sport'). You will never go doors off / top down. Which is sad. I imagine Utah in summertime to be quite pleasant for weekend warrior-hood.

In the winter though you won't have to worry about slapping a Yakima Skybox to the roof rack though (yes, there are ski/board options for the spare tire or trailer hitch for the JK - just have to budget for them).

I think someone mentioned before - perhaps aim for the Unlimited (JKU).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Bad weather handling? Are you serious? You would never be stuck in the wrangler.
Either you misunderstood the question, or that's a really dumb answer. The issue is how well the car/Jeep handles in bad weather, not how well the car/Jeep handles bad weather.

What would I rather have for my 5-mile commute in a blizzard? Wrangler, no question. What would I rather have for a 50-mile highway drive with a few inches of snow and possibly ice? Subaru XV; again, no question.

Of course, most Jeep owners on this forum are going to come down on the side of the Wrangler. That's natural. But there's no reason to be foolish while doing so.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
tvrbob said:
Either you misunderstood the question, or that's a really dumb answer. The issue is how well the car/Jeep handles in bad weather, not how well the car/Jeep handles bad weather.

What would I rather have for my 5-mile commute in a blizzard? Wrangler, no question. What would I rather have for a 50-mile highway drive with a few inches of snow and possibly ice? Subaru XV; again, no question.

Of course, most Jeep owners on this forum are going to come down on the side of the Wrangler. That's natural. But there's no reason to be foolish while doing so.
No, you misunderstood my answer, but I won't call you a name. It's quite obvious.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Aren't Subarus notorious for bad MPG? Since they are AWD? I don't think the cost of ownership is much different from a Jeep to a Subaru.

21 - 40 of 220 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.