Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Unlimited Sahara 40k 6 speed will turn over but doesn't start. I washed it yesterday (I know, dirty Jeeps are happy Jeeps. Maybe that is the problem) and I parked it in the garage and it ran fine.

Today I went to start it and it turns over but doesn't start. It seems like like a cylinder or two tries to fire.

I tried both keys in case the coin battery was dead in one. I tried to jump start it in case the battery was low (it was 12.11 volts) and it made no difference. I tried disconnecting the battery for 5-10 mins. I checked most fuses. I even added a couple gallons of gas in case the gauge was wrong. It sounds like the fuel pump runs for a couple seconds once you turn the key to the on position. No check engine light and I checked codes with a computer and nothing.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. It has 40k miles so it is out of the bumper to bumper and it doesn't look like the power train warranty will cover this or towing. Arghhhh

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stevepsd. I'll look into that.

I got it started after cranking for probably a good ten seconds... It barely started then ran above idle and then thick white smoke started coming out of the tailpipe so I shut it off. Great. Any ideas on the smoke?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Do you have a code reader to see what codes have thrown, as I am sure your check engine light is on.

You didn't hose your engine down when it was hot did you?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The check engine light did not illuminate in the minute or two it was running but there may be a stored code. Good point. I have a reader. I'll check tomorrow. Nope I didn't hose down the engine at all.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
White smoke usually means your burning coolant. Check your oil to see if it looks like a milk shake

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks nighowl2000. I checked and the oil looked good and the coolant did not seem lower than normal but I'll double check.

Would water in the gas cause similar symptoms?

·
Registered
845 Posts
White smoke could also be from flooding the crap out of it turning it over and over. I would have let it run with no check engine light and no nasty noises and let it burn everything out.

How did you get it started? Are your battery terminals clean and tight? Is your battery original?

My guess it water got into a connection where it shouldn't be since you just washed it. I would check a few connections that may get sprayed by accident and make sure they are dry and firmly seated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
White smoke could also be from flooding the crap out of it turning it over and over. I would have let it run with no check engine light and no nasty noises and let it burn everything out.

How did you get it started? Are your battery terminals clean and tight? Is your battery original?

My guess it water got into a connection where it shouldn't be since you just washed it. I would check a few connections that may get sprayed by accident and make sure they are dry and firmly seated.
Thanks grizzstang. Good point. Maybe the white smoke was excess gas burning off. I added a bottle of dry gas just in case. It is running now and I was able to drive it to work.

I got it started just by cranking it longer than usual while hooked up to another vehicle by jumper cable so I didn't kill the battery. The battery terminals are clean and tight. It is the original OEM battery.

Good point about the water but it is hard to believe that could happen since some people hose down their entire engine bays to wash mud off and have no issues. I hope it doesn't turn into a weird electrical gremlin. Right now I'm not 100% confident exactly what the issue was but I just hope it doesn't happen again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts