Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the prestone floating pointer antifreeze tester at a car store and tested all my cars for some upcoming cold weather. 2013 Hyundai, '11 Corvette, 06 Honda Ridgeline, 07 Subb outback and an '11 Chevy something a friend was driving all tested near the max of the gage. The '13 Wrangler with 2100 miles on it - only indicating good to about +20 deg F. Heading to Jeep dealer later this week.

My googling doesn't indicate any reason the Jeep would be different. Any ideas??

Tester type used: Prestone AF1420 - Antifreeze Tester | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Great discussion here on the change to OAT antifreeze in 2013 2013's Now Use OAT Coolant. 2012's Used HOAT Coolant. DO NOT Mix!

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
It could be gauge doesn't work with the new OAT AF, it could also be a weak mix. The easiest way to test it would be to stick it in the proper mix of OAT AF and distilled water if you can't get a straight answer. What sucks is if you have to buy it for your test it's not cheap! I'd check with the dealer to be safe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, My Honda and Chevy's are also OAT albeit different formulations and they tested fine. Dealer will take a look later this week and I'll post what they find. Others with '13-14 Jeeps that have a tester - check them out and let us know what you find too.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Thanks, My Honda and Chevy's are also OAT albeit different formulations and they tested fine. Dealer will take a look later this week and I'll post what they find. Others with '13-14 Jeeps that have a tester - check them out and let us know what you find too.
Then you don't have the proper mix. I wonder if during the PDI your coolant level was low and the dealer topped yours up with water????? Or the mix was wrong out of the factory. Good thing you checked, especially if you live up north.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts