Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No signs of entry, and it was locked with the alarm on. I woke up to the sound of an alarm, so I got out of bed to check and see if it was mine. Before I got to the front door to check, the alarm had gone off, so I guess I slept through it. I didn't think it was my jeep at the time, so I went back to bed. When I got into it this morning, I noticed that someone had gone through everything.

Items missing:
~7k watch
Spare key
Paperwork from when I bought the Jeep
Gym bag with workout clothes.

While Im pissed about the things tha were stolen, the parts that really worry me are the purchase documents with my info and social, and my spare key.

Do I need to get all of the locks changed out and get new keys?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
you left a $7,000 watch in your Jeep overnight? The only thing that you should have left in it are the gym clothes. Why would you leave your spare key in your Jeep?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you left a $7,000 watch in your Jeep overnight? The only thing that you should have left in it are the gym clothes. Why would you leave your spare key in your Jeep?
Yes. It was a lapse of judgement. I went to the gym during my lunchbreak yesterday, and I stuck it in my gym bag while I was working out. The gym bag was left in the jeep overnight.

As far as the key goes, I just bought the Jeep, and I am in between moving between places right now. I left it in the center console locked up until I pemanantly moved so I wouldn't lose it.

Yes, i know...lots of bad decisions

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Insurance! And buy a cheaper watch.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Whats the best way to freeze my credit? Should I use someone like lifelock?

Call the main credit reporting agencies and get a fraud alert put in place.

Do a google search. There's tons of info on identity theft "how to's".

Identify theft is much more of a concern then keys at this point. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yet more proof that car alarms are useless. The alarm went off and a few people may have heard it but who would bother calling the cops when hundreds of false alarms go off everywhere every single night

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,296 Posts
as the victim of credit fraud you need to call all these people and put a FRAUD ALERT ... call them ASAP.
Equifax (Credit Reports, Credit Scores, Identity Theft Protection from Equifax)
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
1-800-685-1111

Experian (Credit Report and Credit Score with Toll-Free Support from Experian)
P.O. Box 2104
Allen, TX 75013-0949
1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)

Trans Union (Credit Report, Credit Scores & Credit Checks | TransUnion)
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
1-800-916-8800

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as the victim of credit fraud you need to call all these people and put a FRAUD ALERT ... call them ASAP.
Equifax (Credit Reports, Credit Scores, Identity Theft Protection from Equifax)
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
1-800-685-1111

Experian (Credit Report and Credit Score with Toll-Free Support from Experian)
P.O. Box 2104
Allen, TX 75013-0949
1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)

Trans Union (Credit Report, Credit Scores & Credit Checks | TransUnion)
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
1-800-916-8800
THANK YOU for the links!

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,296 Posts
THANK YOU for the links!
not a problem,,, being the victim of credit fraud was a nightmare,,, took the better part of 5 years to get it all resolved,,,, hardest part was getting new SS numbers for me and the wife,, government dont like to issue new ones.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Rule of thumb someone who can operate a slim jim can be in your car in under 3-5 seconds. With the key in it your lucky it was still there. Obviously not professional thieves. I'd cover your identity and drop your Jeep at dealer to have new keys/locks installed. Also for future reference had they stolen your car using the key insurance probably wouldn't have covered you or your loss.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
First of all, my sympathies.

Call the local police and report the burglary and the identify theft. Have the description/serial number of the watch available. Even though documents aren't 'worth' a definable amount of money, report them - especially if the vehicle registration was stolen and allows for a 'notice of sale', 'vehicle ownership transfer', etc.

Call a locksmith and have the ignition and all locks re-keyed immediately.

Use the police report number to notify the three major credit reporting agencies as previously recommended. Go to this website and learn what you must do to protect yourself:

Deter. Detect. Defend. Avoid ID Theft

Avoid Lifelock like the plague. You can do everything yourself for free and get the same protection. It was co-founded by a convicted felon and scammer - Robert Maynard. Reference - Robert Maynard - Phoenix

Check Craigslist religiously for your watch. It may very well show up there. If so, contact the police and set up the thief, per their instructions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure if I would bother to re-key the locks. it's a jeep...they got in the first time without a key...

I wonder if the dearlership can reprogram the jeep and your remaining key to keep the stolen key from starting the car if they come back for it...

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Not sure if I would bother to re-key the locks. it's a jeep...they got in the first time without a key...

The issue here isn't another burglary, it's auto theft by the person who has the key. Having stuff stolen is a pain. Having a Jeep stolen and possibly used in a crime to injure or kill others, is an issue of civil liability when the owner knows about it and takes no effort to prevent its theft.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm sure the local Detectives will be on the look out at local Pawn Shops for a high end watch brought in by a bottom feeder. I own two Rolex's and would be livid if some street urchin had my stuff. My store got broke into in August. They had the guy in about a week. Most likely, this clown will continue so long as the targets are available.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. I called the local dealer, and they stated that they can just disable the other key. So they will be able to get in the jeep but not turn off the alarm or start the Jeep. I think I am going to go that route becasue I dont permantly live here, and I am moving soon. The house I parked at last night was a one time thing.

I called the police at 7am, and no one has showed up yet.

Ill be calling all the local pawn shops this afternoon to tell them to keep an eye out for a panerai watch. Its a small town...I doubt it if anyone has even heard of Panerai..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts