Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, my GF has a problem. Her 2013 Wrangler developed a ticking noise, otherwise ran fine. Then her check engine light came on, but still running fine. She wrongly thought she had bought an extended warranty {Her jeep has 90k miles on it} so she immediately took it to the local dealership {she didn't buy it there}, never got the code read anywhere else first. Well, they gave her this diagnosis after tearing down the engine...'Intake and exhaust camshafts both banks...24 lifters/tappets..24 rocker arms...all gaskets and fluids required..." to the tune of around 4 thousand bucks. As I said, it was running great except for the ticking sound. I then read about the "Pentestar tick" {And they adding an extended warranty for that}and after listening to examples on youtube, it sounds exactly the same. The dealership said it wasn't that and would not be covered. My gf has kept all service intervals as required, at her home dealership, she couldnt take it there as she lives 6 hours away now. Any thoughts? I feel like a rip off is in progress. Seems excessive. Sorry for the long post, just very angry. Thank you!

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,226 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

If she had purchased the Mopar lifetime extended warranty, then it would be covered, less the deductible.

The standard powertrain warranty, would be out of warranty time wise. Unfortunately, it is what it is..

Thread moved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I had never had any experience with this dealership before, and now am hearing not good things after telling a few people about the problem. Is having to replace all of those named parts something that is common with a 90k jeep engine? it seems like she would have more than just a ticking noise if all of those parts were failing. I think she has decided to have them put it back together {750 bucks} and take it back to her own dealership...after describing for them what the problem is they seemed eager to take care of that ticking with the extended warranty jeep added for her engine. We shall see. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, my GF has a problem. Her 2013 Wrangler developed a ticking noise, otherwise ran fine. Then her check engine light came on, but still running fine. She wrongly thought she had bought an extended warranty {Her jeep has 90k miles on it} so she immediately took it to the local dealership {she didn't buy it there}, never got the code read anywhere else first. Well, they gave her this diagnosis after tearing down the engine...'Intake and exhaust camshafts both banks...24 lifters/tappets..24 rocker arms...all gaskets and fluids required..." to the tune of around 4 thousand bucks. As I said, it was running great except for the ticking sound. I then read about the "Pentestar tick" {And they adding an extended warranty for that}and after listening to examples on youtube, it sounds exactly the same. The dealership said it wasn't that and would not be covered. My gf has kept all service intervals as required, at her home dealership, she couldnt take it there as she lives 6 hours away now. Any thoughts? I feel like a rip off is in progress. Seems excessive. Sorry for the long post, just very angry. Thank you!
Jeep extended the warranty on the left head for 2012 and 2013 vehicles, for 10 years 150K miles. The dealer is not likely to tell you that. You might consider checking with Jeep Cares to see if your GF's Jeep qualifies, maybe for at least some of the repairs. I wouldn't check with a dealership on this one, I would go directly to Jeep Cares.

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
Jeep extended the warranty on the left head for 2012 and 2013 vehicles, for 10 years 150K miles. The dealer is not likely to tell you that. You might consider checking with Jeep Cares to see if your GF's Jeep qualifies, maybe for at least some of the repairs. I wouldn't check with a dealership on this one, I would go directly to Jeep Cares.
Yes this. Going into any dealership armed with as much knowledge as possible about your issue is the best way to approach any repair or possible warranty work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. I do wish that she had checked first to make sure she did in fact have some kind of extended warranty {like she thought she did} before she took it in. Live and learn. We will see what happens now.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Yes this. Going into any dealership armed with as much knowledge as possible about your issue is the best way to approach any repair or possible warranty work.
Exactly! When I was having the fuel burping/spill issue with my Liberty I did all my homework. When I took it in for the lifetime repair campaign, they must have taken my for a fool, and told me the repair would cost $1,500. I politely informed them of the campaign # and detailed what it covered. It ended up costing me nothing. Had I not known, my bet is they would have tried to bang me for $1,500 for the repair, and then billed Chrysler. Double dipping............ Actually that would have never happened I would have told them not to do the job for that price.

Now I have an A-tech friend at a local dealership, making things a lot more pleasant should I need warranty work, recall work, or work done that is covered under a lifetime warranty campaign like the Liberty gas tank repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure they took my GF as a woman they could take advantage of. If Jeep Care can't help, we will have them put it back together as it was, take it to her dealer..and if they do what they say, and fix it under the extended warranty put in for the "Pentastar tick". Then we will go after our local dealer for the money they charged for taking it apart and putting it back together. The more I hear about this local dealer, the more they sound like crooks. I mean..if they say they must replace BOTH camshafts, ALL of the lifters and tappets, All 24 rocker arms.....All while the engine was running fine, with just the tick......Sounds like a huge scam.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The technical side of this is not necessarily a scam.

You said they opened up the engine and checked and this was ideed their finding. And YES, in the INITIAL PHASE of your issue, you can have a well running engine that is just ticking despite all these things worn (or slightly worn).

If I understand correctly, this vehicle is still in the dealership awaiting your decision. So in case you have doubt, you can ask them to take a picture of the camshafts or a video "walk around" with the valve cover removed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts