Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Wrangler 2 door automatic w/ 20k miles on the clock. A few weeks ago I started noticing some oil drops on my driveway. When I went to change the oil I noticed that there was a fair amount of oil (I'm assuming it is engine oil) on the driver's side of the engine. Its on the engine, oil pan, drive shaft, steering rod, and motor mount. It looks like its being splattered about by the rotation of the front driveshaft. I spent a fair amount of time looking for the leak but I can't seem to locate the source.
A couple of weeks ago I took the car into the dealer for the power steering line recall and told them about the leak. They determined it came from an oil spill when the oil was last changed and they degreased the motor. Problem is, I changed the oil, 10k miles before that and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that it started showing up on my driveway. Also, there is no evidence of oil from the top side of the motor, its only visible from underneath the vehicle.
Additionally, I just got under the vehicle today and, again, there is oil all over the parts mentioned above.
Any ideas where this might be coming from? I'm going to bring the vehicle back into the dealer but I don't want this back-and-forth nonsense until the vehicle is out of warranty. How should I handle the dealership?
This is very frustrating. Help and advice please!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have a 2013 Wrangler 2 door automatic w/ 20k miles on the clock. A few weeks ago I started noticing some oil drops on my driveway. When I went to change the oil I noticed that there was a fair amount of oil (I'm assuming it is engine oil) on the driver's side of the engine. Its on the engine, oil pan, drive shaft, steering rod, and motor mount. It looks like its being splattered about by the rotation of the front driveshaft. I spent a fair amount of time looking for the leak but I can't seem to locate the source.
A couple of weeks ago I took the car into the dealer for the power steering line recall and told them about the leak. They determined it came from an oil spill when the oil was last changed and they degreased the motor. Problem is, I changed the oil, 10k miles before that and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that it started showing up on my driveway. Also, there is no evidence of oil from the top side of the motor, its only visible from underneath the vehicle.
Additionally, I just got under the vehicle today and, again, there is oil all over the parts mentioned above.
Any ideas where this might be coming from? I'm going to bring the vehicle back into the dealer but I don't want this back-and-forth nonsense until the vehicle is out of warranty. How should I handle the dealership?
This is very frustrating. Help and advice please!!
Hmm, it wouldn't by chance be coming from the diff breather hose would it. ? ( gear oil )
I would take it to the car wash and clean the engine real good , then you might be able to see
Where it's coming from. Take some pics to show dealer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, it wouldn't by chance be coming from the diff breather hose would it. ? ( gear oil )
I would take it to the car wash and clean the engine real good , then you might be able to see
Where it's coming from. Take some pics to show dealer.
I don't think so because the oil is thin and doesn't stink like gear oil. Is this a common problem?

Does the pentastar 3.6 have head gasket issues like the 07-10? The dealer cleaned it off a couple of weeks ago, and this is documented, so they are aware of the oil.

This has me worried, only 20k highway only miles and I have a pretty significant leak.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes... as of a few weeks ago. The oil fill tube caps are being overtightened.

They only need 18 ft lbs torque.

The first time I changed my oil I did remember tightening it to spec, but I suppose it is possible that I over tightened it. If this is the case where do you recommend I look for the origin of the oil leak to confirm this. Also, is the dealer going to try and blame this on me and not cover it under the warranty?

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
Puddles on top in the valley where the intake manifold resides. The oil works its way down underneath the jeep. Don't worry. Read the last two or three pages in that thread.

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
I just went through it. Dealer gave no issue whatsoever and paid for rental the entire time. Wasn't even the dealer I bought mine from. Starbrite covers all the details of mine in that thread. Don't stress about it, but it did take longer than I would have liked. I'd push them to check/change the knock sensors and wire harness right off the bat if there is any sign of contamination. That's what took a long time for mine.

Runs great, no issues so far. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It really sounds like the oil cooler is the culprit. Thanks guys, Ill give the dealer a call tomorrow and schedule the service. I'll also tell them to replace the knock sensors and harness while they are in there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I inspected the valley where the oil cooler resides the best that I could and I can't see any evidence of oil. The oil cooler/filter housing seems like the most likely culprit as other are seeing an issue in this area. Are there any other issues common to the pentastar JKs that could be causing this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it turned out the leak was actually coming from the motor mount (the JKs use fluid filled motor mounts).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oil leak is back. It does look like its coming from the motor mount again, but its hard to tell to be honest. I've got 30k on the clock so its getting close to being out of warranty. This is ridiculous, the thing only sees highway use. Very shortly this becomes my problem $$$$.

What should I tell the dealer? How the heck could I be going on my 3rd motor mount? I've never heard of this issue, there must be something more significantly wrong with my jeep. Bent frame? Misaligned drivetrain?

This thing has never been off road.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
Oil leak is back. It does look like its coming from the motor mount again, but its hard to tell to be honest. I've got 30k on the clock so its getting close to being out of warranty. This is ridiculous, the thing only sees highway use. Very shortly this becomes my problem $$$$.

What should I tell the dealer? How the heck could I be going on my 3rd motor mount? I've never heard of this issue, there must be something more significantly wrong with my jeep. Bent frame? Misaligned drivetrain?

This thing has never been off road.

Any thoughts?
Buy a Max Care Extended Warranty....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Buy a Max Care Extended Warranty....
The Mopar Maximum Care Vehicle Protection Plan contract states:

"THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER...Repair or replacement of any covered component when it has been determined that the condition existed prior to purchasing the Plan."

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
The Mopar Maximum Care Vehicle Protection Plan contract states:

"THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER...Repair or replacement of any covered component when it has been determined that the condition existed prior to purchasing the Plan."
Buy the plan and then take it in.... I didn't need a health check before purchasing my plan.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts