Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2013 JKS with 16k miles on the clock, bought new in January 2014.

:atomic:

This isn't a point of impact and the glass dude (safelite) said it looks like a series of stress cracks that started at the edge. There is nothing tangible on the surface of the glass from either side... no chips along the edge, no paint marks to indicate something hit it right along the edge, no dings in the area. It seems the "hole" is sitting between the layers of glass. It's hard to tell what's going on in this picture, but radiating from that point and downward are three cracks that look like this.... / | \ ... that pretty much go to the edge. I noticed it getting into the Jeep two nights ago.

Is it possible this is a stress related crack/fracture this late in the Jeep's life? Should I swing by the dealer before trying to do any insurance stuff?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience in this, so take this with a grain, but if you are under warranty, I'd try that first.

I had a snowplow drop a boulder of snow on my windshield of my Outback last year (out of warranty) and I had insurance come and replace it. I have USAA and it didn't increase my premium and I paid nothing out of pocket. Don't know if that'll be a similar story with you.

FWIW, sorry this happened to you!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is why I should have shelled out for the $0 deductible glass coverage.

Just got off the phone with the dealer - Glass is only covered 12mo/12k. It does appear that I'm screwed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is why I should have shelled out for the $0 deductible glass coverage. Just got off the phone with the dealer - Glass is only covered 12mo/12k. It does appear that I'm screwed.
That's a tough break. Sorry mate. Maybe add to your insurance for the future.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If the crack doesn't start at the edge how is it not just another rock chip?

I'm on JK windshield #5 and have never seen a stress crack.

And yes, my latest windshield already has 2 rock chips so welcome to the club.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts