Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new here and I basically have no knowledge about cars or anything of the sort! I have a 2013 Wrangler Sport in black. My first "mod" is going to be getting new wheels and tires.

I went and measured my current tires and they are 29" in diameter. I *believe* that the wheels are 16" in diameter. I wanted to go up to 17" for the rims and up to 32" for the tires. However I had a few questions. First, I am completely lost in the tire and wheel nomenclature. ###x##x## but it seems some of the numbers are in relation to some dimensions? My next question is, if I upgrade to the 32" tires will I need to recalibrate the speedometer? And how many inches of difference do you need from the stock tire until you need to recalibrate?

Thanks guys (sorry for the stupid questions, I'm new to cars and driving)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well you are going from a 29" tire to a 32" so yes you will need to re-calibrate especially if you are in an auto then the shift points will need ajdusting along with the speedo.

An AEV Procal is what I use and seems to be the programmer of choice here...Handy little tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you are going from a 29" tire to a 32" so yes you will need to re-calibrate especially if you are in an auto then the shift points will need ajdusting along with the speedo.

An AEV Procal is what I use and seems to be the programmer of choice here...Handy little tool.

Thank you so much! It is a standard, so the shift points don't really affect me I suppose. But thanks for the info!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just went up on my tires from the 29's to the 265/75/16's and you will want to get your speedometer calibrated. I took mine to the dealer and it was only $60, so that wasn't bad. As far as comparing tires and wheels and their sizes, I use the rimsntires.com It's a great reference to tell you what fits, any difference in fit, how much your speedo will be off, etc., and it's accurate. I compared my speedo with an speedo app on my phone and it was dead on as to how rimsntires.com said it would be off and then got it calibrated and it was dead on again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts