Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
most likely the clock spring (the spooled wire that electrically connects the wheel to the dash). they are a weak point. did you get the steering wheel/dash area wet at all?

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
most likely the clock spring (the spooled wire that electrically connects the wheel to the dash). they are a weak point. did you get the steering wheel/dash area wet at all?
My exact thoughts as well.

OP...did they just stop working out of the blue, or where you doing something?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Had the same issue on the 2014. First dealer changed horn switch and speed control. Worked for a week. Found a competent dealer 25 miles away who figured out it was the main buss controlling all of these functions and more. Problem solved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought I would share my recent experiences on a similar issue just in case it helps someone else.

2012 Rubicon

Symptoms: Horn not working, all buttons on and behind the steering wheel not working except cruise control buttons. Blinkers and wipers are all fine. No trouble codes recorded or airbag lights are triggered.

Fix: Change the cruise control button switche 56046094AF. Its a $40 part and cost me $350 at the dealership in labor to diagnose and repair.

They told me that the cruise control switch is a pass through to the remaining buttons on the wheel and even though the cruise itself worked the output pin wasn't providing power or comms to the remaining circuit.

I do not know if there was any additional software update required but its worth a try before taking to the dealer. I changed the clockspring also before taking to the dealership but that did not correct the problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't mean to be a cynic - but let me share my most recent experience.

My dash got wet and everything stoped working as you described. From reading the forum I thought it was the clock spring. The jeep is still under warranty so I took it to the dealer. Though everything on the instrument cluster seeks to work - they diagnosed it as the problem. Maybe all the command signals from the columns pass through it.

Problem is - jeep doesn't have any clusters as a replacement! I have been waiting over one month for the part and they tell me it won't be available until October......

I hope after all this waiting it is in fact the cluster and not something else. I am so disappointed and believe me I have been trying to escalate in any way I can.

I considered buying a used cluster but nobody seems to be able to give me a clear answer on what flashing (if any) is required to install a used cluster.

I hope your experience is better than mine..

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't mean to be a cynic - but let me share my most recent experience. My dash got wet and everything stoped working as you described. From reading the forum I thought it was the clock spring. The jeep is still under warranty so I took it to the dealer. Though everything on the instrument cluster seeks to work - they diagnosed it as the problem. Maybe all the command signals from the columns pass through it. Problem is - jeep doesn't have any clusters as a replacement! I have been waiting over one month for the part and they tell me it won't be available until October...... I hope after all this waiting it is in fact the cluster and not something else. I am so disappointed and believe me I have been trying to escalate in any way I can. I considered buying a used cluster but nobody seems to be able to give me a clear answer on what flashing (if any) is required to install a used cluster. I hope your experience is better than mine..
I really hope that's not my issue... I'm having the same problem as well

·
Premium Member
6,901 Posts
My dash got wet and everything stoped working as you described. From reading the forum I thought it was the clock spring. The jeep is still under warranty so I took it to the dealer.
If it got wet then it is no longer a warranty issue but rather an insurance claim. You're very, very lucky if the dealer is still willing to fix this under a warranty repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts