Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this today.

Wranglers for years used Mopar HOAT Antifreeze Coolant, which is the same as Zerex G-05 Coolant. The 2012's used this HOAT Coolant. From the 2012 Owner's Manual:

Component Fluid, Lubricant, or Genuine Part
Engine Coolant MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula HOAT (Hybrid
Organic Additive Technology) or equivalent.
Now for 2013, the Wrangler uses OAT Coolant. From the 2013 Wrangler Owner's Manual:

Component Fluid, Lubricant, or Genuine Part
Engine Coolant MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic
Additive Technology) or equivalent meeting the requirements of Chrysler
Material Standard MS-12106.
Be careful not to accidentally mix these two types of Antifreeze Coolant. From the 2013 Owner's Manual:

CAUTION!
• Mixing of engine coolant (antifreeze) other than
specified Organic Additive Technology (OAT) engine
coolant (antifreeze), may result in engine
damage and may decrease corrosion protection.
Organic Additive Technology (OAT) engine coolant
is different and should not be mixed with
Hybrid Organic Additive Technology (HOAT) engine
coolant (antifreeze). If a non-OAT engine
coolant (antifreeze) is introduced into the cooling
system in an emergency, it should be replaced with
the specified engine coolant (antifreeze) as soon as
possible.
Does anybody know why the change? Both the 2012 & the 2012 use the same Pentastar 3.6L engine.

·
Registered
899 Posts
So dealership service departments as well as any other service department is going to have to verify what year your pentastar is to do work on it?

Wow, that is going to cause problems down the road.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Could be as simple as a cheaper or better vendor contract. It would be nice to know from mopar.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Soooooo.....different oil AND different coolant for the 2013's? Hmmmm.....

·
Registered
293 Posts
I believe OAT doesn't degrade as quickly as HOAT so the service interval is much longer for the 2013s. 10 years or 150K miles means lower service cost and environmental impact.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Soooooo.....different oil AND different coolant for the 2013's? Hmmmm.....
What oil changed for 2013? I'm curious cause my head is being replaced at the dealer now on my 2012 for the "tick" issue. Is it a viscosity change or what?

·
Registered
293 Posts
schnizdawg said:
What oil changed for 2013? I'm curious cause my head is being replaced at the dealer now on my 2012 for the "tick" issue. Is it a viscosity change or what?
Nobody knows for sure why the oil went to 5w20. There was some speculation that it was for fuel economy but the EPA ratings are exactly the same for 2013 as the were for 2012. 5w20 will improve cooling of the engine and it is believed that heat is a contributing factor to the head issue so there could be a linkage there.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
No way would I wait until 150K miles or 10 years.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmmm, I'm at 108K and 5 years. I guess I should change my coolant?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts