Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
No way would I wait until 150K miles or 10 years.
I ran a Volvo V70R to 280,000 on the original engine, transmission, turbo, and COOLANT!

With that said, 10 years seems to be pushing it a lot more than the 150k, especially in a vehicle that makes it off the pavement.

If you're wanting to swap fluids for the hell of it, I recommend brake fluid - do that and you'll feel like you you just installed new anchors on the corners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm in the same dilemma... I need to top off my coolant but I'm being told by two Jeep dealerships that my 2013 Jeep Wrangler uses the 5yr 100k mile coolant. The manual states that I should use OAT 10yr 150k mile coolant. I bought a bottle of the 10yr version from the dealership. Part #68163848AB. What is so confusing is the color of the coolant siphoned from the reservoir is reddish, not purple.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm in the same dilemma... I need to top off my coolant but I'm being told by two Jeep dealerships that my 2013 Jeep Wrangler uses the 5yr 100k mile coolant. The manual states that I should use OAT 10yr 150k mile coolant. I bought a bottle of the 10yr version from the dealership. Part #68163848AB. What is so confusing is the color of the coolant siphoned from the reservoir is reddish, not purple.
This is what mine looks like, in the small jar... That's OAT! The purple coolant is also OAT...

You need to be careful because the early 2013's were loaded with Fiat OAT coolant, which is orange like yours.

Before doing anything, I would make the dealer test your coolant to determine what you have. That should be covered under warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Did either dealer confirm your build using the VIN#? If they did you should use what they recommend. The early 2013 builds can potentially have either coolant.
BTW- you bought concentrate. Don't forget to dilute that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, they didn't confirm anything with the VIN. They just told me they were certain my Jeep didn't use the newer OAT coolant. I have distilled water to dilute the coolant. I will see if they can do a test to make sure and let them top it off so if the Jeep runs into any problems, then I'll blame them!

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
No, they didn't confirm anything with the VIN. They just told me they were certain my Jeep didn't use the newer OAT coolant. I have distilled water to dilute the coolant. I will see if they can do a test to make sure and let them top it off so if the Jeep runs into any problems, then I'll blame them!
You do NOT want them to mix HOAT and OAT!... even if it's their fault.

If they don't perform a complete test and confirm what's in there, then you should send a sample out to get it tested. You need to see the report from the test lab - otherwise don't allow them to touch your Jeep.

The test is not cheap. You can send it here...

Amalgatech division of Amalgamated Laboratories Inc.

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
Here... perhaps this will shed light on the subject.

You need to understand the OAT coolant originally came from Europe and shortly thereafer was sourced in the USA and the color was changed.

EU is orange and USA is purple..

The problem is when you bake Mopar Stop Leak with OAT purple coolant is turns to plum color.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
I went around and around with my dealer after I noticed on the paperwork that they had topped off the reservoir with HOAT instead of OAT one time when we had it in for some service. Ours is a 2013 with a build date of 12/2012.

I insisted that they do a complete flush and fill with OAT. I even showed them where it says in my 2013 owners manual that it specifies OAT. I had the parts counter manager run my VIN. It came back as using OAT.

However, the service manager says he checked with Chrysler headquarters and since the build date was in 2012 they claim my 2013 Wrangler came from the factory with HOAT. Supposedly, the 2013 Wranglers did not switch over to OAT until the calendar year 2013. They refuse to do a free flush and fill but I could have it done at my cost for $155.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just contacted Jeep who then contact the dealership again and now they say it should use OAT purple coolant. I'm still going to have them test it because I'm not the original owner and wasn't aware of the coolant difference until now. I just hope it hasn't already been topped off with the wrong stuff.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just contacted Jeep who then contact the dealership again and now they say it should use OAT purple coolant. I'm still going to have them test it because I'm not the original owner and wasn't aware of the coolant difference until now. I just hope it hasn't already been topped off with the wrong stuff.
My mechanic said you would know if the two where mixed. Creates a froth when mixed. I don't know how true that is and I don't want to start a myth. Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
My mechanic said you would know if the two where mixed. Creates a froth when mixed. I don't know how true that is and I don't want to start a myth. Does anyone know?

This is an example of HOAT mixed with OAT. You don't want this chemical reaction in your motor, radiator and heater core.

Attachments

Reactions: Hadassah

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I went around and around with my dealer after I noticed on the paperwork that they had topped off the reservoir with HOAT instead of OAT one time when we had it in for some service. Ours is a 2013 with a build date of 12/2012.

I insisted that they do a complete flush and fill with OAT. I even showed them where it says in my 2013 owners manual that it specifies OAT. I had the parts counter manager run my VIN. It came back as using OAT.

However, the service manager says he checked with Chrysler headquarters and since the build date was in 2012 they claim my 2013 Wrangler came from the factory with HOAT. Supposedly, the 2013 Wranglers did not switch over to OAT until the calendar year 2013. They refuse to do a free flush and fill but I could have it done at my cost for $155.

Bullsh!t with a capital B. Sorry, but I played this game with my dealer, I checked my coolant in my new 2013 Jeep with 8 miles on it and a build date of Sept 2012, delivered to me Oct 2012. It's the OAT, and it's purple until the stop leak mixes in and turns it kinda orange.

I had mine in for the dreaded casting sand in the overflow and my service adviser wrote it up for a flush and fill with purple OAT. The tech who did the service and dumped the old fluid decided it looked too orange to really be OAT, and he decided to change the work order himself and took the OAT back to parts and swapped it for some orange HOAT because he knew better.

I came to pick it up in my warranty paid for rental truck and the first thing I did was check the color of the antifreeze. He didn't get fired but he came very close from what I heard had happened, not to mention the entire shop knew what occurred within a day as well. My Jeep drove the 15 feet back to the work area and was flushed again and refilled with OAT. My file was documented as well as I questioned the possible long term harm this may cause.

I haven't had further issues with it, in fact my antifreeze still looks purple now because they finally got rid of all that stop leak and casting sand I guess.

I would open a Star case now and have the dealer pay for a flush and fill with OAT, note your account, and give you an extended warranty on that particular issue as well. Ask him if he would want his daughter to drive a Jeep with antifreeze gel in her engine or if he would fix it.

For future reference, I also know the oil change guys aren't the brightest guys and part of their 'inspection' is to top up the fluids. Beware, they don't always know the difference either. I have gone so far as to drill a small hole in the tab on the overflow lid and I have a zip tie around the neck of the bottle and then a zip tie through the tab and the neck zip tie to hold the lid shut. It keeps prying fingers out of there at the dealer. I also like to use colored zip ties so they can't just replace the zip tie easily.

I used orange windshield fluid over winter - some de-icer stuff I have now switched away from again - and the dealer dummy topped my windshield fluid up with orange antifreeze once too. They paid for that as well - it turned to gel and the dealer had to replace the windshield reservoir, the pump, lines and nozzles. I found this out when I squirted the windshield with orange oily stuff and almost crashed.

Again, I have a zip tie system on the windshield fluid bottle now too.

Only you can truly prevent idiots from doing stupid stuff.

I seriously typed all of this and you were the one who started a thread 1/10/15 about it? Did they do it to you again or was this post above a reference to what happened earlier this year? First link I posted below.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
.. and M998dna - you were the one who gave me that great idea with the zip ties!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts