Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
I seriously typed all of this and you were the one who started a thread 1/10/15 about it? Did they do it to you again or was this post above a reference to what happened earlier this year? First link I posted below.
It was in reference to what they did earlier this year. Whatever amount they did top it off with HOAT, the small amount that was added to the recovery tank apparently was not enough to cause any problems if it originally had OAT. There doesn't seem to be any gelling.

There seems to be a record of this tied to my VIN. I tried one last time a few months ago to get Chrysler to approve a complete flush and fill with OAT at their cost. I tried bypassing the local dealer and dealt with Chrysler CS online. I briefly explained that every single record of the 2013 model year Wranglers says that they get OAT.

The CS rep emailed me back a few days later and said that it shows the service manager at my local dealership talked to the engineers at their headquarters and the HOAT coolant is what mine is supposed to have, since it was built prior to calendar year 2013.

Unless I want to pay big bucks for a coolant chemical test, my only other option is to pay $155 for the dealer to do a flush and fill. As I said, I'd do it myself but I'm sure if there are ever any wrong coolant problems in the future they'd insist that I did not do it correctly.

It almost seems worth the cost of the coolant analysis, even if it costs nearly as much as paying for a flush and fill. If it comes back as having mostly OAT I would take them to Small Claims Court and demand a free flush and fill in addition to the cost of the analysis.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
That makes no sense though - the calendar year of 2013 has nothing to do with it. Like I said before, mine was a September build and it was OAT. I have heard of a few that did have HOAT but they also noted the build sheet for the VIN stated this too. I guess that's Chrysler for ya though.

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
The problem - do you want to chance the chemical reaction and have it crystalize? You couldn't sell your Jeep like that.. you'd have to fix and it would be a major job.

I wanted to know what was in my system.. I chalked it up to the cost of owning a 2013.

Look at it this way.. which would you rather deal with?

2012 - bad heads
2013 - OAT/HOAT coolant issue
2014 - oil leaks
2015 - oil leaks

I took my $200 coolant pill and verified what I had...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The problem - do you want to chance the chemical reaction and have it crystalize? You couldn't sell your Jeep like that.. you'd have to fix and it would be a major job.

I wanted to know what was in my system.. I chalked it up to the cost of owning a 2013.

Look at it this way.. which would you rather deal with?

2012 - bad heads
2013 - OAT/HOAT coolant issue
2014 - oil leaks
2015 - oil leaks

I took my $200 coolant pill and verified what I had...

I've read several posts here indicating that the same 2014 / 2015 oil leaks have occurred on 2013s.

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
I've read several posts here indicating that the same 2014 / 2015 oil leaks have occurred on 2013s.
That could be... over-tightening the oil filter cap can crack the housing. It only needs 15 lbs. torque. And the oil pan plug only needs 15-20 lbs. torque.

When you have gorillas working on your Jeep anything is bound to happen.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I didn't realize the 2015's were having some oil issues as well. Maybe I'm a bit jaded now, I tend to look at threads that are more relevant to the 2013's.

Even though my stuff is zip tied I still watch them do my oil change every time, from 10 feet away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know it's been a while, but felt like sharing anyway. I'm Adam and I live in New Brunswick, Canada. I have a 3.6 Pentastar, but in a 2013 Town and Country Limited. I just picked it up. Super nice van and it'll work great for hauling the kids' hockey gear and gynmastics stuff around. Anyway, I just went through the HOAT - OAT conundrum with the van. I do all of my own work and just completed a rear brake job, siphoned out 4 L of ATF +4 and replaced it. My Dorman pan with drain just arrived, so I'll drop the pan, change out the filter in the next day or two.

I researched what coolant is in the van and according to the dealer, the VIN brings back a factory fill of OAT, though mine was a reddish-orange color; presumably the early FIAT OAT. The van has around 90000 miles on it and was exceptionally well maintained, but I wondered if the owner, a snowbird (the van spent it's winters in Florida) had had any work on the cooling system done, or had added any coolant. I found a folder filled with service records in the back of the super console. I called the previous owner and had a great chat. He did nothing to the cooling system.

So, drained and refilled twice with demineralized water, then dumped in 8L of OAT and roughly the equivalent amount of demineralized water (the van has the 3 zone HVAC). The OAT I used was yellow in color (no Mopar, no dealer near me, went with a local product) and after the two water flushes and refill, my coolant has a very slight tinge of pink to it; almost undiscernible. I hope I'll be ok. It should be all OAT in there.

I have a couple Toyotas and a Kia, so for s**ts and giggles, I made a brew of 50% HOAT and 50% OAT in a mason jar. I've heated it to boiling a few times, stirred it, put it outside in the cold. It's only been 3 days, but it appears completely clear and no gelling. Not a scientific test as it's not in an engine block circulating around. The pseudo-scientist in me wanted to see some gelling or crap coming out of suspension, but so far no joy. Maybe it takes more heat, cooling cycles and stirring to react.

Anyway, great thread. Thanks to all the contributors.

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: 13T&C

·
Registered
227 Posts
Radiators and engines are not made of glass. Not sure about the duration you need to heat the coolant for the reaction to occur. The cooling system also has a water pump spinning at high rates of speed... that is if you want to build an accurate model. Google images has many examples of mixing OAT and HOAT which is enough for me.

... I have a couple Toyotas and a Kia, so for s**ts and giggles, I made a brew of 50% HOAT and 50% OAT in a mason jar. I've heated it to boiling a few times, stirred it, put it outside in the cold. It's only been 3 days, but it appears completely clear and no gelling. Not a scientific test as it's not in an engine block circulating around. The pseudo-scientist in me wanted to see some gelling or crap coming out of suspension, but so far no joy. Maybe it takes more heat, cooling cycles and stirring to react.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Radiators and engines are not made of glass. Not sure about the duration you need to heat the coolant for the reaction to occur. The cooling system also has a water pump spinning at high rates of speed... that is if you want to build an accurate model. Google images has many examples of mixing OAT and HOAT which is enough for me.
For sure. As mentioned, I didn't expect to emulate the conditions within an engine. Just wondered if a reaction might be readily apparent if mixed, heated, cooled and stirred. I'm sure metals, heat cycles, high speed stirring would be factors in a reaction. I'm definitely not basing any decisions I make upon my pseudo-science experiment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That makes no sense though - the calendar year of 2013 has nothing to do with it. Like I said before, mine was a September build and it was OAT. I have heard of a few that did have HOAT but they also noted the build sheet for the VIN stated this too. I guess that's Chrysler for ya though.
I wonder if some 2013 owners manuals got into the glove boxes of some 2012, and or visa versa.

I guess the only way to know is a) lab test or b) if it's purple and never "treated".
Have to replace my p-05 thermostat sensor. I may just add water to replace what is lost in the process, since it's now summer and do a full flush (+ rinse) & refill with the 150k G-05 zerex (notating the manual and tagging the rad cap... probably the last time that'll be done on my watch anyway.

In my 60 years of seeing service techs at the dealership and even many mechanic shops, I've found that if you want it done square, you do it yourself with out cutting off the corners. Sadly, the American millennial brain seems to require a recall, or at least a service bulletin notice.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
That's good news, because it means vehicle-specific guidance came from the company's engineers
This should also be taken with a huge grain of salt too - especially now. After working over details with a few people about the summer factory refresh/reset and everything, it would have been a miracle if any vehicles at all for MY 2013 were filled with HOAT - the rumor is still going, but it's highly unlikely any actually got HOAT at the factory. It's far more likely a dealer flushed them trying to fix a known waterpump squeal issue while they were on backorder and the dealer simply told the customer that to shut them up.

Reactions: m998dna
41 - 54 of 54 Posts