Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While passing another vehicle up a grade (55-60 mph) in drive the trans went into auto-stick mode by itself and I had to manually shift back into drive. It was as though it was stuck in second (2 was shown on the instrument cluster) and was reving at 5600 rpms. This is the first time I experienced this, the trans usually downshifts to pass and then resumes the proper upshifts when you decrease the throttle. I thought I was going to blow up the engine, I believe I was at the rev limit for 2nd gear. Anyone experience this?

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
I know that I've THOUGHT mine did that on its own before, and it had turned out that my wife or a passenger bumped the shifter.

It's very sensitive, and takes minimal force. Did you have a passenger in front?

I've even managed to do this myself a couple times (I'm tall with long legs, and move around a lot on a long drive).

Pat

·
RETIRED MODERATER
34,961 Posts
I have a 2013, and drive up in our mountain areas, for most of the Summer. I have never experienced that issue.

Yes, I would be concerned about the engine rev, so it sounds like a trip back to your Dealer, is in order!!!!!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
While passing another vehicle up a grade (55-60 mph) in drive the trans went into auto-stick mode by itself and I had to manually shift back into drive. It was as though it was stuck in second (2 was shown on the instrument cluster) and was reving at 5600 rpms. This is the first time I experienced this, the trans usually downshifts to pass and then resumes the proper upshifts when you decrease the throttle. I thought I was going to blow up the engine, I believe I was at the rev limit for 2nd gear. Anyone experience this?
red line is 6500 so if you were at 5600 you are OK. Jumping from ~2500 to 5600 probably sounds like your engine is going to explode. Engine should have fuel cut off/rev limiter at red line too. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
No passenger up front, and I duplicated it a few miles up the road that day on another grade but have not been able to duplicate it since.
Hmm well just thought I'd throw it out there and see.

Sounds like you'll need to take it in then. Wondering if it's just a harmless hiccup or something more.

Good luck to you.

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts