Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1910 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 JKUR. I noticed a big puddle of engine oil in the garage last weekend, and looking under the Jeep, the oil was dripping off the clutch cover, so I suspected it was the rear main seal. After thinking about it, I thought it was odd that the clutch wasn't chattering like I expected it would with a rear main issue, so I was a little skeptical that it was actually that. I just received a call from the dealer, and they said it was a cracked oil cooler housing.

Googling around, there are a bunch of people who have experienced this already, and all seem to be 2014s, including at least one Cherokee KL (the new one) with the 3.2. So, I looked around and yes, the 3.2L uses the same oil filter/cooler assembly as the 3.6L.

The 2014 3.6L oil filter/housing/cooler appear to be NEW parts from 2013 and earlier. They probably re-engineered these so they would be common between the 3.2L and 3.6L, saving money.

So, ladies and gentlemen, we have a Fiat/Jeep/Chrysler clusterfork in motion.

This is not a trivial issue. While mine cracked and wasn't leaking a ton, others apparently have blown out. If this happens on a trail 20 miles from town, you are going to be screwed.
We need a survey sticky thread on this issue. How do we do that?:atomic:

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Wow, doesn't seem like much of an oil cooler.. How much heat could that really dissipate? Does it perhaps serve some other purpose?
It appears to create an aftermarket opportunity.

My car has a plastic valve cover with integrated PCV, the PCV cracked and emitted a shrieking whistle, think Steam Locomotive, about 180db for a drive through rushhour traffic and 100 miles home. I was less than pleased.

Went through bollox like this with a Fiero, too.

Didn't see this sort of crap on 1960's engines. :atomic:

Something to bear in mind when my Jeep JKUR comes in.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I just can't imagine putting any sort of cooler in the valley between the cylinders... seems to me that's a pretty hot place. Maybe it's an oil heater?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
The oil cooler is a heat exchanger, where oil and coolant flow through the same housing, that little silver elongated block.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
The oil cooler is a heat exchanger, where oil and coolant flow through the same housing, that little silver elongated block.
It's a foil plate heat exchanger. I have one that looks just like that on my home boiler, for hot water. Same size. According to my heating comtractor, this little thing has over 4 acres of heat exchange surface!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weird that nobody else is chiming in, maybe this problem is uncommon.
The problem only appears to be on 2014's, so the tidal wave is just starting. I found posts on this site from at least five owners already, and two brand new Cherokees on other sites. Only a minute fraction of Jeep owners post on Jeep sites. I also found two people who had already submitted complaints to the NTHSA, since the problem could cause an engine seizure or fire. I urge anyone who has had this issue to go to safercar.gov and post a complaint.

The part is backordered in Chrysler's system, but my dealer has seen this so many times already that they PRE-ORDERED some housings. Think about that.

I was out in Moab last week, on a 4WD road HOURS from the nearest town, and over 150 miles from the nearest Chrysler dealer. If this had happened out there, it would have cost over a grand just to get the Jeep to a dealer. I bought this vehicle to drive places like that, just like I spent years wheeling my 1997 4Runners out there, without ever having a single issue like this. My two 4Runners had a combined total of 520,000 miles on them when I got rid of them.

Yes, I am pissed.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm going to carry more oil that I'd normally carry for sure.

Definitely anyone that has this problem should report it, however I doubt the NHTSA will care unless this causes a fire. Sure a seized engine on the highway could cause an accident. However this is a government agency and logic doesn't enter into the equation.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to carry more oil that I'd normally carry for sure.

Definitely anyone that has this problem should report it, however I doubt the NHTSA will care unless this causes a fire. Sure a seized engine on the highway could cause an accident. However this is a government agency and logic doesn't enter into the equation.
I disagree about the NHTSA. There is a lot of focus right now on obvious defects being ignored by manufacturers, they they have a lot of egg on their faces over being ineffective. I'd bet a single phone call from NHTSA to Jeep would get a lot of attention.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Has anyone thought about giving up on Chrysler and moving on?

I have.

Not yet, despite a failed oil sensor, clutch switch, rear main seal, inner axle seal, and differential fluid. There is absolutely no quality control what so ever in these vehicles. IF Ford makes an awesome Bronco it will force JEEP to improve their quality, but right now there is no vehicle on the market like the Wrangler so they don't have to be high quality.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I disagree about the NHTSA. There is a lot of focus right now on obvious defects being ignored by manufacturers, they they have a lot of egg on their faces over being ineffective. I'd bet a single phone call from NHTSA to Jeep would get a lot of attention.
They ignored 1000's of complaints (including mine) about FRAM motorcycle oil filters blowing seals and leaking oil onto the ground right in front of the rear wheel. This was a huge safety issue, I was lucky in that my blew out at at a stop light and not at speed in a canyon. A few dozen racers went down due to this luckily nobody died. FRAM spin-ons were banned from most racing for several years as well. NHTSA did nothing, FRAM did nothing.. didn't care that these filters were still being sold.

Now maybe that's just because it's only motorcycles, or the numbers weren't high enough. However I have zero confidence in NHTSA doing their job. I'd love to be proven wrong in this case and get a pre-emptive fix. But I'm not holding my breath.

1 - 20 of 1910 Posts