Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2008 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The oil cooler on my 2013 developed an internal leak back in 2016. Luckily my Jeep was still under warranty at the time. I asked the service department what the cost would have been if I had to pay for it and they said it was around $1,200. Since I had an internal leak, it was letting engine oil flow into the cooling system. All of the Jeep cooling system had engine oil in it. It looked like the radiator was filled with thin mud. They replaced the cooler and flushed the cooling system. It was quite a mess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read this thread a loooong time ago and crossed my fingers....fast forward to about two months ago. I started noticing tiny oil spots in the garage where I park. I kept putting it off and decided to get several things done in the local shop including installing new diff covers, seals, and overall maintenance once over seeing she's now at 80k miles. Yup, the dreaded cracked oil cooler housing. I am of the opinion I got off lucky seeing no other major issues. Normal wear and tear.

EDIT: I will be doing my own oil changes here out.

Reactions: Old Dogger

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I agree, it is not normal wear and tear, it is a very poorly designed part that has been failing for years in huge numbers. This part should be replaced for free anytime it fails for the life of the vehicle due to its poorly engineered design. Most of the body of the cooler is plastic. Jeep bolted a plastic part directly to the metal engine to run hot oil and coolant through it, gees, what could go wrong...

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
To those that have replaced the cooler, anyone have the replacement fail?
The oil cooler on my 2013 JKU developed an internal leak in 2016. It was leaking oil into the cooling system. It was replaced under warranty and has been fine since then. I do inspect it periodically to check for leaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Normal wear and tear my ass! Noting but cheap plastic shit.
As in, everything else was normal wear and tear. After 80k+ miles? I'm not complaining in the least. My Rubicon has been used and abused on many a 4x4 trail, road trips, camping, trailer pulling etc. She's been super dependable and she is our driver most days if we have to get out. Even the wife will take it over her F250 Diesel.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
If the people at FCA would have done a good job we wouldn't be 100 pages of it here on the forum. It has cost way too many people way too much money and time.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I had done some searches on Google and found that this is not just a Jeep problem. The 3.6 Pentastar engine is used on many Chrysler vehicles and I read on many discussion boards that Grand Cherokees and Chargers among other vehicles were having oil cooler failures. When it becomes so very common for the part to fail, then it was poorly designed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2017 JKUR, I bought it with 29,000 miles in April of 2019. I have wheeled it on easy to moderate trails but I always drive it slow and easy. I turned 60,000 miles while on a trip out to MOAB. I noticed the Oil Filter Housing Leak during that trip. I bought an extended warranty so I didn't bother taking it in right away. I took it in last week with just over 62,000 miles. They found 3 leaks. Oil filter housing, Timing Cover, and two leaks in the radiator.

I figured no worries, until I looked more closely at my extended warranty. What I thought was comprehensive was actually called "comprehensive wrap", which means the power train is not covered. The warranty covered the radiator replacement, but not the two oil leaks. Chrysler will not cover the oil leaks because it is over 2,000 miles out of warranty. The dealer where I purchased has since gone out of business and is under new ownership. So, I got stuck with a huge bill, which was mostly for the timing cover leak.

I love this vehicle. It is a beast off road and fun to drive on road too. However, in the short year and a half that I have owned it the AC had to be repaired, 3 leaks in that system, The valve cover gasket was leaking at 58,000 miles. Those repairs were under warranty so no cost to me.

That's 5 leaks requiring costly repairs (if not for warranty) in about 30,000 miles. I'm hoping that's the end of it, because if it continues I will not be able to afford the several hundred dollars in leak repairs every few months. Honestly, how many more areas could spring leaks?

This is by far the most expensive vehicle to maintain that I have ever owned. I will either have to sell it or find the time to work on it myself.

Ford Bronco is looking good.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Only because I sub to this thread after replacing my oil cooler... I had to replace my left head due to ANOTHER known FCA defect. Again, NOT under warranty for my 2015.

·
Registered
111 Posts
2017 JKUR, I bought it with 29,000 miles in April of 2019. I have wheeled it on easy to moderate trails but I always drive it slow and easy. I turned 60,000 miles while on a trip out to MOAB. I noticed the Oil Filter Housing Leak during that trip. I bought an extended warranty so I didn't bother taking it in right away. I took it in last week with just over 62,000 miles. They found 3 leaks. Oil filter housing, Timing Cover, and two leaks in the radiator.

I figured no worries, until I looked more closely at my extended warranty. What I thought was comprehensive was actually called "comprehensive wrap", which means the power train is not covered. The warranty covered the radiator replacement, but not the two oil leaks. Chrysler will not cover the oil leaks because it is over 2,000 miles out of warranty. The dealer where I purchased has since gone out of business and is under new ownership. So, I got stuck with a huge bill, which was mostly for the timing cover leak.

I love this vehicle. It is a beast off road and fun to drive on road too. However, in the short year and a half that I have owned it the AC had to be repaired, 3 leaks in that system, The valve cover gasket was leaking at 58,000 miles. Those repairs were under warranty so no cost to me.

That's 5 leaks requiring costly repairs (if not for warranty) in about 30,000 miles. I'm hoping that's the end of it, because if it continues I will not be able to afford the several hundred dollars in leak repairs every few months. Honestly, how many more areas could spring leaks?

This is by far the most expensive vehicle to maintain that I have ever owned. I will either have to sell it or find the time to work on it myself.

Ford Bronco is looking good.
I feel your pain! I have spent more money on repairs (including several leaks) that any vehicle I have owned but I still love it!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
My 2014 has had no issues with the leak ti date. I have changed my own oil through the yrs except for twice whish was done by the dealer. Always used the Mopar filter and full synthetic oil. Recently my EVIC was showing a jumpy oil pressure reading so I put my Superchips old Flashpaq on it and it is showing the oil pressure sensor needs replaced (forget the exact code). Honesty I'm hesitant to mess with that whole oil cooler/filter assembly at this point, just to replace the sensor. I have no oil leaks, so I'll leave well enough alone for now - until it leaks.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
My 2014 has had no issues with the leak ti date. I have changed my own oil through the yrs except for twice whish was done by the dealer. Always used the Mopar filter and full synthetic oil. Recently my EVIC was showing a jumpy oil pressure reading so I put my Superchips old Flashpaq on it and it is showing the oil pressure sensor needs replaced (forget the exact code). Honesty I'm hesitant to mess with that whole oil cooler/filter assembly at this point, just to replace the sensor. I have no oil leaks, so I'll leave well enough alone for now - until it leaks.
Same thing happened to my 2014, so I just replaced the entire oil cooler assembly. No sense going all the way in there to just replace the pressure sensor. It's a fairly easy job, and not having to deal with the mess of a leaking oil cooler makes the job a little less of a PITA. IMO, bite the bullet and get in there and do it sooner rather than later.
More info:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2014, so I just replaced the entire oil cooler assembly. No sense going all the way in there to just replace the pressure sensor. It's a fairly easy job, and not having to deal with the mess of a leaking oil cooler makes the job a little less of a PITA. IMO, bite the bullet and get in there and do it sooner rather than later.
More info:
Are ya'll getting the entire oil cooler/filter housing assembly through the dealer, or is there a less $$ source for it? I may tackle this just for the sensor and go ahead and change my spark plugs before spring comes. Plus I just ordered Teraflex's front brake rotors/brackets with hawk pads (and both front wheel speed sensors, Might as well, while I'm in there).

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Are ya'll getting the entire oil cooler/filter housing assembly through the dealer, or is there a less $$ source for it?
The latest 2014+ Oil Cooler Ass'y is about $190 from my local dealership (moparpartscounter.com). I went with all Mopar upper & lower manifold gaskets and my total was about $250.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a '17, this is not good news.
My 2016 JKU Sahara took a oil dump in my driveway 2 days ago. The dealership just changed my oil 2 weeks ago. Don't know if one could be connected to the other....
Waiting on the phone call on if they will cover it under the power train warranty. I'm guessing they will say no, but praying they will say yes. As many issues in seeing over bands of year's with the oil cooler... why isn't this a NHTSA recall? They've confirmed its the oil cooler that's failed.

I have a '17, this is not good news.

1981 - 2000 of 2008 Posts