Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2281 - 2300 of 2321 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm helping a friend buy a used JKU and looked up the build sheet for him. I laughed when I was reading it and under "optional equipment" it lists "Engine Oil Cooler" right before Anvil Clear Coat and Sirius Satellite Radio. I bet someone in the warranty department had the brilliant idea to make it "optional" and therefore optionally excluded from the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sooooo,, you fill it with oil, drive it to a bad part of town and leave the windows down with the keys on the dash. Problem solved. Or,,, you can look for the leak with a road flare.
Lol.....my dad suggested the same thing. He said there has to be a bad part of Philly somewhere.🤣🤣

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow, this thread was eye opening. I haven't been active on forums in a while and now I wish I had been, there's so much insight here.

Replaced the oil cooler on my 2012 JK back in September at 116k miles. I'm long out of warranty and I've had too many bad dealer experiences, so I took it to a local shop I trust. Cost about $900 all in. My shop couldn't believe they would make this crap outta plastic. Glad I got in before the parts shortage, though.

I figured I just had bad luck, but seeing all the other people here who have had similar problems... wow. This is some bull$#!& on FCA's part.

I just put a factory order in for a '21 Rubi this month and I hope like heck they really have fixed this in the JL.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Considering there are well over 1 million JKs alone with 3.6 which doesn’t include all the other FCA models that also have this engine, the oil cooler failure rate is actually not that high. We of course see it more on here. Like everywhere else Covid has hit the production sector hard with part backorders from everything, not just Jeep. Plenty of stories out there of brand new vehicles sitting on the plant lots assembled and still waiting on parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem only appears to be on 2014's, so the tidal wave is just starting. I found posts on this site from at least five owners already, and two brand new Cherokees on other sites. Only a minute fraction of Jeep owners post on Jeep sites. I also found two people who had already submitted complaints to the NTHSA, since the problem could cause an engine seizure or fire. I urge anyone who has had this issue to go to safercar.gov and post a complaint.

The part is backordered in Chrysler's system, but my dealer has seen this so many times already that they PRE-ORDERED some housings. Think about that.

I was out in Moab last week, on a 4WD road HOURS from the nearest town, and over 150 miles from the nearest Chrysler dealer. If this had happened out there, it would have cost over a grand just to get the Jeep to a dealer. I bought this vehicle to drive places like that, just like I spent years wheeling my 1997 4Runners out there, without ever having a single issue like this. My two 4Runners had a combined total of 520,000 miles on them when I got rid of them.

Yes, I am pissed.
I have a 2015 JKU that I'm fairly certain this has been the issue since I bought it last June. Looking at replacing the oil cooler tomorrow, but finding the part locally has been a challenge. #jeeplife

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just had my Oil Coiling Housing done. Leaking oil on ground. Mine is a 14 JK with 30 K on it. Good luck trying to find one, There 55K on backorder from Jeep'
I just had my Oil Coiling Housing done. Leaking oil on ground. Mine is a 14 JK with 30 K on it. Good luck trying to find one, There 55K on backorder from Jeep'
Hi, welcome to the elite club😊 I have been waiting 5 weeks. I have 28000 on my 2014. Heard they're only making a 1000 parts per week. Might be awhile.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Are the ones online mostly grey market China made. I see some on eBay from actual Chrysler dealerships.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Seems like many are failing but really it's a small fraction of the number of 3.6 Prntastar that are in many different vehicles. Even though 55K might be on BO it doesn't mean that 55K have failed. If they have been making 1000 a week, where have they been going?

·
Super Moderator
16,795 Posts
Seems like many are failing but really it's a small fraction of the number of 3.6 Prntastar that are in many different vehicles. Even though 55K might be on BO it doesn't mean that 55K have failed. If they have been making 1000 a week, where have they been going?
None of the math adds up to me... This thread started almost 7 years ago, if the 1,000/week number is accurate that's about 364,000 coolers they could have produced in that time. By now they've likely made over 12 Million Pentastars LINK since 2011, 1,000 coolers week for 10 years = 520,000 coolers. That's a far cry from 12 million+/-. So I would speculate that 55k backorder # has nothing to do with new engines, but is the # being replaced. All only speculation.... and who knows if that 1,000/week is anywhere close to reality...????

My '14 has been thru two, the '18 one. So they have me on the hook for 3 so far.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
i am still on the original one. What gets me is the lack of info from everyone on this, even JeepCares. Just send them a PM,,LOL. The 3.6 is in many other vehicles. Are they also parked waiting for one? Almost all GC's have it. Is this just a Wrangler thing? What about the millions of mini vans, 1500's, and cars. And they keep making the same part that fails over and over. If mine fails, unless it's a crack, I'll just get new O-rings if I can't get the part.

Reactions: zgfiredude

·
Super Moderator
16,795 Posts
I just did our '18 at 64k and while I suspect it was only the o-rings, I replaced the entire cooler. Didn't want to install it only to have a hairline crack somewhere that wasn't visible to the eye.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
So this same cooler is also used in JL/JT 3.6 all be it a different PN, i believe they also use it on the smaller v6. I will assume the back order is also because there is a backlog for new vehicles being produced as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
With a few phone calls found them at $400. in stock. So for the price of 2 you get one. No one knows where they are made or who makes them or if they are beong made now ar where they are going. End of April delivery date. This is such BS. Sadly, this is not the only part that is out.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary
9 Posts
2016 here. Bought it as a CPO in August. Brought it in to the dealer to have them check the notorious torque converter stalling in reverse at cold startup, which they conveniently couldn’t replicate, and they came back with leaking radiator ($1198 to fix), leaking oil cooler (claim it’ll be covered under powertrain), and get this, rusted out header to catback bolts that need to be drilled out and replaced ($398 to fix even though I’ve only owned it for under 7 months, don’t think this just popped up). Messaged @JeepCares ; twice with no response.

Local dealer told me to monitor oil level and it is ok to drive (it is my DD). No answer on when oil cooler will be in stock and replaced.

So what’s the next step in this process...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,702 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary
9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's a good point. Alot of the backorder are probably just refilling inventory on shelves...and that maybe an automated ordering system

2281 - 2300 of 2321 Posts