Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

2321 - 2340 of 2341 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have gotten no help from jeep cares. I have called 12 different dealerships from Oregon, California and Pennsylvania. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA. Nothing. I am afraid to drive as they told me oil can overheat and cause a fire. I am at a dead end. Jeep does not care...
Waiting on replacement part for mine. Leaks like a sieve. If it burns, it burns. Shame on Jeep!

IceColeNH on an Android Smaht Fone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Folks, in the midst of putting things back together but struggling with torquing down the lower intake manifold. Trying to get 106 in-lbs on those T20 bolts and i've snapped both a husky (home depot) and a craftsman socket bit. Ordering some impact bits, but is this common? Yes, I'm using an in-lb torque wrench and not a ft-lb...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Folks, in the midst of putting things back together but struggling with torquing down the lower intake manifold. Trying to get 106 in-lbs on those T20 bolts and i've snapped both a husky (home depot) and a craftsman socket bit. Ordering some impact bits, but is this common? Yes, I'm using an in-lb torque wrench and not a ft-lb...
Silly...just realized these are also 8mm bolts...

·
Registered
119 Posts
So I stayed away from a Chinese part.

Luckily, mine was just replaced recently under warranty. There was no crack that could be found, instead it was presumed oil was leaking from the o-rings (more like o-gaskets) due to compression and the ridiculous way it is mated to the engine.

I would bet that half of us could stop the leak with a $10 ring kit for these things, but after all that labor who wants to take the risk for the good of the community? One thing is clear, it seems like the replacement will leak in time as well. I even wonder if simply going beyond spec for torquing the mounting bolts down (feeling by hand for “tight”) would stop some leaks.

Keep a spare on hand if you plan to keep your Jeep for years to come. Like most of us feel - I think Jeeps get cooler with age - but I sure wish we had a traditional oil filter on these things. What an unnecessary risk this “oil cooler” is.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
In 2019 they built Pentastar # 10,000,000. The number that are failing is a tiny % of them. I believe not all will fail. I believe that the leaks are the O rings and caused mostly at oil filter changes. A re-design of the O rings would be a great idea. The worst part of this is the work it takes to get to the thing. Going over the bolt pattern several times with a good torque wrench in warmer weather would help with the sealing.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Keep a spare on hand if you plan to keep your Jeep for years to come. Like most of us feel - I think Jeeps get cooler with age - but I sure wish we had a traditional oil filter on these things. What an unnecessary risk this “oil cooler” is.
Certainly a good idea if it's been a while since they installed one, or if they're on their original, but if someone just installed one, they may want to wait. Maybe there will actually be a better design down the road.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I even wonder if simply going beyond spec for torquing the mounting bolts down (feeling by hand for “tight”) would stop some leaks.
Going over the bolt pattern several times with a good torque wrench in warmer weather would help with the sealing.
My experience is this:
I replaced my cooler because my oil pressure sensor failed. My oil coooler was not leaking, but the o-rings were slightly weeping oil. When removing my cooler, I found that the bolts were just barely snug. When I replaced the cooler, I tightened the bolts in several stages, ending at the final torque spec. But I found that when re-checking the bolts at the final torque setting, the bolts would turn. IIRC, it took about 6 passes over 2 days before the bolts didn't move any more. So, I would not risk damaging the cooler by initially over-torqueing the fasteners, but I would definitely go over the bolts several times before buttoning up the repair.

Reactions: Jjgibby523

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Good to know! Are the OEM O-rings Viton? If not, are there Viton ones available?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Good to know! Are the OEM O-rings Viton? If not, are there Viton ones available?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
IIRC, Fel-Pro makes a set of replacement o-rings for the Jeep oil cooler that may be an upgrade on the original factory o-rings. Some posters in WF have also indicated a difference between the original o-rings they removed and those supplied in the “revised” MOPAR oil cooler replacement kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an issue with the engine oil cooler cracking and leaking oil all over my jeep wrangler - and in So Cal every dealership we called said they had over 30k of them on backorder as of March 2021. I called Jeep HQ (800-992-1997) to see why the hell this wasn't a recall with clearly a massive need for replacement.. they said unless more people call in and report to their customer service that they have an issue, it won't be recalled. It's some BS..but maybe try giving them a call with your VIN and at least make a file on it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an issue with the engine oil cooler cracking and leaking oil all over my jeep wrangler - and in So Cal every dealership we called said they had over 30k of them on backorder as of March 2021. I called Jeep HQ (800-992-1997) to see why the hell this wasn't a recall with clearly a massive need for replacement.. they said unless more people call in and report to their customer service that they have an issue, it won't be recalled. It's some BS..but maybe try giving them a call with your VIN and at least make a file on it..
Waiting on replacement part for mine. Leaks like a sieve. If it burns, it burns. Shame on Jeep!

IceColeNH on an Android Smaht Fone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
That's all BS, they know exactly how many have been sold. That's how many have failed. I've been hearing they are on BO for a month now. I called my dealer and he said he was out, then asked if mine failed and if the dealer was going to do the repair. Hummmm, If the dealer is going to do the repair and the Jeep is sitting at the dealer I bet they can find one.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Welcome the WF. The oil cooler thing can be fixed. There are many vehicles with much more expensive things going wrong. Were you able to get a genuine Mopar OEM part? How much$ ?

Reactions: DuckMe

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I would suggest not to apply any torque to the oil filter cap, it wont leak, required 18 ft lbs is unnecessary for a good seal.
35K~7 oil changes on mine never torguet the cap and so far not a single drop.
Just make sure the cap is screwed in till the end .
Another topic is the calibration accuracy of the cheap torque wrenches. 18ft lbs can be 20 or 25 or ....

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
My oil cooler is leaking too...
Glad I'm not alone....
Had to pay big bucks to get it fixed...
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Yep, it is a failure, that should not be happening.

Reactions: DuckMe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome the WF. The oil cooler thing can be fixed. There are many vehicles with much more expensive things going wrong. Were you able to get a genuine Mopar OEM part? How much$ ?
TBH, I just assumed I got OEM since it's done by the dealership. I just googled the description/number, looks like it is genuine Mopar parts 68105583AF... It's $419 CAD.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would suggest not to apply any torque to the oil filter cap, it wont leak, required 18 ft lbs is unnecessary for a good seal.
35K~7 oil changes on mine never torguet the cap and so far not a single drop.
Just make sure the cap is screwed in till the end .
Another topic is the calibration accuracy of the cheap torque wrenches. 18ft lbs can be 20 or 25 or ....
Agreed. Given the location of where the o-ring sits on the cap it's not necessary for this to be tightened way down. It's a pretty tight thread too so vibration (in my mind) won't/shouldn't loosen it. I hand tighten this now and maybe give it a little snug with a 3/8" ratchet , but literally very little torque. Never had a problem with it since I started doing it this way.

I've had this problem with my wife's Highlander too actually. In fact I cracked the cartridge filter on the last oil change because I used the torque wrench to tighten it to the 18 ft-lbs it calls for. I only did this because hers is under the car and I feared if it came loose it would dump all the oil in a matter of seconds and destroy the engine. I will be tightening hers by hand now too. ugh, bring back the metal spin on filters!

2321 - 2340 of 2341 Posts