Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 1908 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
2015 JKUR 54,000 miles.

Cold winter made me lazy and had a shop change my oil. Never had a leak. Roughly 2 weeks after I noticed a few drips on my driveway that have steadily got worse. Does this effect 2015? I have yet to find the source of the leak. Is there a sure way to know if this is it without taking something apart? I notices the majority of posts are for 2014. Is there a write up on how to replace this? Is the correct part # 68105583AF?

Are you original owner? if yes, your 5-year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty should cover it. Otherwise call jeep cares and see if they will do a goodwill an cover some cost of the repair, since this is a known issue.

I have always done my own oil changes since new and I always knew not to over tighten the oil filter cap, basically I would do a little bit more than hand tight and even then my oil housing started leaking. Got replaced last month with AF level part.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If it's the O rings at the base of the cooler that leak as told to me by my Jeep service guy, then any stress or movement of the cooler unit could cause the leak. The oil PSI on them is high the slightest movement will cause them to fail. The oil sees temps of 200+F down to cold air temps. Extreme hot/cold will take it's tole over time.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I misspoke, my Jeep got an AG level part installed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
FTW- why couldn't my AF be the final, good enough version.
For what it's worth a parts guy and a Jeep dealership told be that just because the part number/letter changes that doesn't always mean the part has been redesigned. As he explained the part number also changes anytime there is a change in the part manufacturer, vendor, etc. So the AF and AG version may be the same design just different manufacturer. But it could also be a redesign. Either way I hope the AF version doesn't start failing. That's what they put in my 14 when the original part started leaking. Knowing what I know now I would have been carrying mine to the dealer for oil changes. I, like lots of people in this thread, got the standard FCA response from my dealer. They told me that whoever changed my oil over tightened the filter which caused the oil cooler housing to leak and would not cover it under drive train warranty. I know this is possible but the same mechanic has worked on my vehicles for years and he drives a Grand Cherokee which has the same engine and oil filter and he's well aware of the problem. Taking it to the dealer for oil changes gives them one less reason to deny it under warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My first post in this thread so knocking on wood...

I'm the second owner of a 2014 JKUS purchased from a dealer in May 2018 with 35,xxx miles.

I have not had the problem yet so I checked the part number of my oil cooler housing and it's the AE version. I don't see anything on the Carfax related to a repair but the previous owner must have had the issue at some point since I was expecting to find the AA version.

I'm now at 45,xxx miles and have been checking the valley every Saturday since I'm already out there checking on the leak in my radiator. So far the AE version is holding up

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I wonder how many AB - AF have been sold.

·
Registered
71 Posts
At some point between oil changes I developed a pretty good leak. I did not realize it was leaking because my skid plates were catching the oil. When I changed my oil I found the tranny area on up covered in oil. I thought it was the rear main seal but turned out to be the oil cooler for my 2014 as well. Mine failed somewhere around 84,000 miles.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+
○|||||||○

·
Registered
392 Posts
At some point between oil changes I developed a pretty good leak. I did not realize it was leaking because my skid plates were catching the oil. When I changed my oil I found the tranny area on up covered in oil. I thought it was the rear main seal but turned out to be the oil cooler for my 2014 as well. Mine failed somewhere around 84,000 miles.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+
○|||||||○
Yup. My skid plates caught a LOT of oil before I noticed.

Spent some quality time with a power washer and Dawn to finally clean up the mess.

Now, tho Dawn maybe too valuable to use as a degreaser.

Good luck!

·
Registered
725 Posts
If it's the O rings at the base of the cooler that leak as told to me by my Jeep service guy, then any stress or movement of the cooler unit could cause the leak. The oil PSI on them is high the slightest movement will cause them to fail. The oil sees temps of 200+F down to cold air temps. Extreme hot/cold will take it's tole over time.
My o rings started leaking back in March, was a slow minor leak.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yup. My skid plates caught a LOT of oil before I noticed.
Spent some quality time with a power washer and Dawn to finally clean up the mess.
One of the reasons I went with the Rancho style oil pan skid plate. I am @ 30k and have seen none of the popular failures yet.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Googling around, there are a bunch of people who have experienced this already, and all seem to be 2014s, including at least one Cherokee KL (the new one) with the 3.2. So, I looked around and yes, the 3.2L uses the same oil filter/cooler assembly as the 3.6L.
Correct, 3.2/3.6 are Pentastars - have the same issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
where is the part number located on the cooler, i will look at mine, its an original 14' non replaced cooler with 69k
After you removed the engine cover you can see the oil cooler housing looking straight on. The tail end of the part # is slightly visible on the passenger side of the housing. You may need a flashlight. While you're there take a look down in the front valley for puddles of oil

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Apparently there is an O-ring kit (Mopar 68191356AA) that you can use to replace the O-rings on the oil cooler filter adapter housing instead of replacing the entire oil cooler filter adapter housing.

I plan on changing spark plugs and replacing PCV valve in the coming weeks, and I will be changing the O-rings on the housing while I'm in there.

Pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
The oil cooler/filter housing starting leaking on ours a few weeks ago. 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 76000 miles. A new filter housing, upper and lower intake seals and spark plugs were going to set me back over 560 Canadian plus tax. My wife's buddy owns his own shop and could get all the OEM MOPAR parts way cheaper than I could and gave us such a deal to do the work I could not refuse. I could not tell if it was the seals or a cracked housing. With the housing being plastic it would seem like a lot of work to rip all that apart and just replace the seals to have it crack a short time later. IMO it will crack eventually no matter how gentle you are with it, it is plastic that sees nothing but heat and oil. It is designed to fail.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I bought my 14 jku this past october with 96k on it. A few weeks after buying it I found a pool of oil in the driveway and the oil cooler was the culprit. I ordered a replacement on amazon (cheapest price I could find) and made sure to order revision AF. I was send AB and was in a bind and my daily was unusable so I installed it. They sent me the correct part ending in AF after I contacted them and now it is sitting on my shelf. I feel like the one in there now is going to give out soon, but this engine is getting a supercharger in the next year so I will put the newer one in when I have it apart and eventually it’ll be replaced by a Hemi so I am not too heartbroken over this issue.

1881 - 1900 of 1908 Posts